Celtic 2-6 West Ham Utd (24/07/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Re: ⚽ Celtic vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Ironing Board »

Shabu wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:31 pm I was all ready for the Celtic manager, Angelos Postecoglou, to start speaking with a heavy Stavros accent then he pops up sounding like an extra from Home & Away :lol:
Rack off!
Has liked: 4592 likes
Total likes: 1548 likes

Post by Sticky »

Cress looking a bit lacklustre in the extended highlights - two balls into the box from his side - one that lead to their second. There was a piece on Longelo on the official site a few days ago. I wonder if the kid is decent.

Anyone have any views on him?
Beedub
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Beedub »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:30 pm I've thought that about Fabianski for a while... doesn't look quite as agile as he once was.
Agree can understand why we are looking at a new GK
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Celtic could do with Randolph off us. Or trot onnloan. Their keeper was *****
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1676 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Obviously winning is a good thing, but I’m more impressed with how sharp we look. Especially in attack. It’s like we’ve just carried straight on from last season. Credit to the manager and the players!
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

Sticky wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:20 am Cress looking a bit lacklustre in the extended highlights - two balls into the box from his side - one that lead to their second. There was a piece on Longelo on the official site a few days ago. I wonder if the kid is decent.

Anyone have any views on him?
*raises hand*

He was gash.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 770 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Weak Celtic (and Reading) sides or not, I’ve liked the football we’ve played in pre season.

Even at half pace there’s been a lot of one and two touch passing which I’ve not been accustomed to in recent years.
Last edited by Billydinho on Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

Men vs Bhoys

Has someone already done that?
Johnzo
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Johnzo »

We’ve not looked this good in Pre-Season since the summer of 2010….
artlin

Post by artlin »

Long diagonal passing, running off the ball, intercepting!!

Who are those guys??

Cue A Team music.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Whoever their Keeper was in the first half was shocking. He actually made it too easy for Antonio not to put the ball into the back of the next for his brace.

On a slightly separate note, I hope we haven’t used up all our wordlie goals before the season kicks off. Johnson’s goal against Reading and Bowen’s finish against this lot after an impressive build up was a bit special. :thup:
Cabinfever
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Cabinfever »

What I liked about the match was there were still players (not all) pushing up and harassing the Celtic players in the last 10 minutes. Fornals seemed to do alot of running yesterday. So much so that he seemed to be a bit peeved that we run out of subs by the end to replace him.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Celtic
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=135814

norse
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 835 likes

Post by norse »

Did not realise that Celtics keeper plays for the Greek national team. One of the worst keepers I've seen for a while. If anything that explains how Roberto managed to win a couple of league titles in Greece
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

One of the great football stadiums, and a club with a rich and proud heritage, but i was shocked with what i saw on the pitch on a roasting hot day in Parkhead.

The current Celtic team is simply awful. We were nowhere near full fitness, we are probably 14- 16 days away from that but we thrashed the best they had to offer. We should, by my count, have scored 9. The fact we only scored 6 flattered them.

Antonio battered their centre backs and when Bowen and Benrhama turned it on they simply couldnt contain us. The loss of Oggy early doors was a blow and his replacement, Diop looked shakey to say the least.

Huge sympathy though to the 18,500 Celtic supporters who turned up, they deserve better than what their traditonally tight fisted Board will fund. They gave the few Hammers in the ground a decent welcome and accepted the good natured banter sportingly.

We may get a different reception in a full blooded Europa tie, but on yesterdays showing, unless their Board get the chequebook out, the margin between the two sides will be wider.

We were decent enough yesterday but i reckon we have more in the tank, Rice, Coufal and Soucek for starters. Three or four additions and we could be double mustard.

An easy win yesterday.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Pinks, can you give us an English equivalent, in terms of Parkhead? Is it bigger than the old school grounds, down south, such as Villa Park or Hillsborough?
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 873 likes
Total likes: 849 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

These days I’d say Old Trafford is similar to Celtic Park.

I would put my house on Rangers having a very easy defence of the SPL this season, Celtic were proper pony yesterday and I can’t see the new manager lasting out the season.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

A prestigious friendly for Celtic, I’d have hoped they’d offer more.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

prophet:marginal wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:27 pm Pinks, can you give us an English equivalent, in terms of Parkhead? Is it bigger than the old school grounds, down south, such as Villa Park or Hillsborough?
More VP than Hilsborough
Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:33 pm These days I’d say Old Trafford is similar to Celtic Park.
That's fair, although OT is quite a bit bigger with the SAF towering over the whole place.

St James park I guess would be nearest in terms of capacity, although nowhere at Parkhead would have the awful up in the clouds experience of there.
carnage wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:57 pm A prestigious friendly for Celtic, I’d have hoped they’d offer more.
Fair point Carnage, I suspect the game was part of the Ajeti deal, much as the game against Brentford will be part of the Benny deal.

The problem for Celtic is they simply won't spend the money for 3 games in the CL, and their domestic competition offers little in the way of reward.

Not too sure of the exact numbers but I reckon the team that finishes bottom in the PL gets more than the entire SPL combined each year.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by Tenbury »

If that's their standard of football, they're still being overpaid.