✍ Welcome Alphonse Areola

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Re: Alphonse Areola

Post by fjthegrey »

£160k a week?

No chance.
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

I've heard he's on 147k, pinch of salt however what is certain is that he's on PSG wages.

They tend to pay "quite well"
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

fjthegrey wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:28 pm Goalkeepers are trained to punch the ball.

Buffon is the most famous example of a regular puncher.
Particularly today when blocking of the keeper is much more organised than in the time of Hurst or even Hately just jumping with or into the keeper. They'd need three knees nowadays.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

There's no way we've just made a guy who might be a backup goalkeeper our highest paid player dude.
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

I don't think he's going to be backup for very long if at all
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Paris literally had no leverage at all.

Extortionate wages, they had 8 goalies, and he only wanted to come here.

They’re obviously picking up a decent wedge of his pay.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Potentially great signing. Our highest profile back up keeper ever?
I feel a little for Randolph though.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

fjthegrey wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:28 pm Goalkeepers are trained to punch the ball.
Yes, but not as a default. At least, not usually.
RockyMtnHammer
Has liked: 288 likes
Total likes: 398 likes

Post by RockyMtnHammer »

fjthegrey wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:28 pm There's no way we've just made a guy who might be a backup goalkeeper our highest paid player dude.
I think PSG is absolutely paying a percentage of his wages, but I also think some of that percentage is offset by his loan fee of £1.7m (32k per week).

My guess (this is a guess) is a 50/50 split in wages and we paid them the 1.7 in a lump sum to make it more like a 60/40 split despite not being on the books as such.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

He’s our first choice surely?
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

bonzosbeard wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:56 pm From Fulham site last year....

"First a combination of Alphonse Areola and Ola Aina blocked Arthur Masuaku’s angled drive, before the Fulham ‘keeper palmed over Aaron Cresswell’s moving effort from the edge of the box seconds later.

Then a wicked Jarrod Bowen volley was heading in until Areola’s reflex save – one all the more impressive considering it had deflected off the head of Aleksandar Mitrović. Sebastien Haller clipped the bar with his header from the subsequent corner.

I do remember he was decent that night.
Yeah he was!
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

carnage wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:20 am He’s our first choice surely?
Yes he is definitely 1st choice. But It’ll be a gradual phase out of Fab, who will get plenty of games still due to comps.
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Must say that I'm not sure about a keeper being our first signing of the window as there are far more pressing needs in the squad.

However, that said, I do like this signing and I think that, when you look at it, it gives us a really strong base.

In fact, I would go as far as to say that I don't think that any other team in the Prem have a pair of better keepers, as even the top teams seem to have a good(ish) 1st choice with a big drop off to the reserve.

FWIW I think that both Fab and (potentially) Alf are right up there with the very best keepers in the league and I can't think of many if any others I'd swap either of them for.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Sir_Trevor wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:47 pm Must say that I'm not sure about a keeper being our first signing of the window as there are far more pressing needs in the squad.

However, that said, I do like this signing and I think that, when you look at it, it gives us a really strong base.

In fact, I would go as far as to say that I don't think that any other team in the Prem have a pair of better keepers, as even the top teams seem to have a good(ish) 1st choice with a big drop off to the reserve.

FWIW I think that both Fab and (potentially) Alf are right up there with the very best keepers in the league and I can't think of many if any others I'd swap either of them for.
Good teams sign good players. Good teams also make proactive signings.

Bad teams sign bad players. Bad teams also sign players out of immediate need.

Needs inevitably change much sooner than most teams think they will, whether it's because solid players regress or unexpected players emerge. Unfortunately, West Ham have always been in that bad category, where we just sign crap players because we deem that we are desperate for someone in their position. In doing so, we miss out on good players because we deem that we don't need them.

You always need good players, and Areola is a good player. We'll be loving the fact that Areola is a West Ham player this time next year. Personally, I think we will sooner than that, as he's going to be our first choice keeper at some point this season, probably early.
South African Iron
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by South African Iron »

Happy with this loan to buy signing, prefer him to Johnstone, question is will we be able to afford his salary and transfer come seasons end. I'm sure he will out Fab after his first injury.

Also feel sorry for Randolph , hope he finds a decent club soon, and a transfer as he deserves to be playing somewhere and has been very professional in both his stunts at the club.

Welcome Alphonse all the best, hope you enjoy our great club, and let's see what happens come seasons end.

:crest:
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

What an absolutely solid pool of keepers we now have. - Surely Randy will be on his way now?
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

simonirons wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:54 am What an absolutely solid pool of keepers we now have. - Surely Randy will be on his way now?
Brilliant two keepers we have there for sure. I've said this before but I think Fabianski is criminally underrated, he organises the defence, he's a calming influence and he goes about his duties in such an unflappable way, great reactions but it's often his positioning that's key, if he was in his 20's and English he'd be England number one.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Areola our number 1? I think so. Thoughts?
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

carnage wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:21 pm Areola our number 1? I think so. Thoughts?
Not immediately...I think the only player to 'walk' into our first team under Moyes has been Lingard

He should be by the turn of the year