PSF: Brentford 0-1 West Ham Utd (31/07/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Re: ⚽ Brentford v West Ham Utd: Match Thread

Post by MB »

hawkins_hammer wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:59 pm Don't get the hate for Diop, he was fine and is a perfectly good CB for us. Cresswell basically gave him no cover all day on those crosses.
With how we use our fullbacks that is always going to be the case though.

Hate is a strong word. I think most of the views are balanced in that he isn't quite suited to our current set up and shows little to no sign of improvement.

That doesn't make him a bad defender, it just means he is better suited to a different defensive approach like we had in his first season.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Wasn’t a great game. But a good test nevertheless. How we got a clean sheet I’ll never know, as we was just as shaky defensively as we was against Celtic. Another very poor showing from Diop again. Moyes would have to be off his rocker not to accept any bid for him if we somehow received one. This game highlighted why we need a new centre half.

I also thought Antonio wasn’t at his best. Although still had his moments. And that was probably Fornals most quiet game to date in pre-season too.

I didn’t understand the silly experiment with Ben Johnson. It made more sense to play Fredericks on the wing and have Johnson at rightback.

Coventry and Lanzini both had solid games. However, they don’t offer much defensively. We could get away with playing either alongside Rice or/& Soucek. But without Rice &/or Soucek we’ll be torn a new one. I thought it was no coincidence that Coventry went up a gear the moment Noble came on at half time, who offered us a bit more physicality in midfield.

Benrahma other than a few silly efforts in the first half had another very promising performance with a very good goal. It can only do his confidence some good and I hope he has a great season this time.

Onto our final friendly pre-season! :newthumb: :hamm:
hargo
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by hargo »

Ironing Board wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:47 pm I have a good feeling about this season!
I take it you're not familiar with the words of our famous song.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Decent run out all in all.
When you consider we have Coufal, Ogbonna, Rice, Soucek and Bowen (maybe even Masuaku) to all come back into that starting XI as first choice, it’s a decent run out.

Coventry is coming along nicely and should get some decent game time this year. Lanzini seems to have a bit of a spark back too, last season seems to have rejuvenated him.

Not a great deal to say about anyone else, certainly no stand outs (that goal aside), but nothing we didn’t already know.

We will need to bring in a few faces. CB, CM and CF are all worrying light. As they have been for years now.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

hargo wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:41 pm I take it you're not familiar with the words of our famous song.
:arry: :lol: :lol:
Beedub
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Beedub »

I really like Coventry game.

Yeah we would like him to have moved the ball forward a bit more but let’s be honest his role is to get the ball of the defence, take one to two touches and move it on to our more creative players. I thought he did that really well, very rarely holds the ball longer than he needs to. Reminded me of Noble in his early days before he started taking 32 touches every time he got the ball lol.

He hold his position defensively very well and isn’t afraid to get in and make a tackle.

On the other hand in the first half we had Lanzini besides him. Don’t get me wrong Lanzini looks sharp and he did a heap of nice things but also playing in that deeper role he lost the ball twice the first half in real dangerous positions that resulted in brentfords best chances. Better opposition would have scored. Lanzini in a deep role is a very scary thought, he loved taking players on and little twists and turns on the ball.
Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

Coops wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:01 pm I've got no stats to back it up, but I feel we always seem to have a bad season after having a really good pre-season.
I might be getting my season's mixed up but didn't we have a brilliant pre season under Avrum Grant?
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Better to experiment in a friendly though
funky chicken wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:30 pm Wasn’t a great game. But a good test nevertheless. How we got a clean sheet I’ll never know, as we was just as shaky defensively as we was against Celtic. Another very poor showing from Diop again. Moyes would have to be off his rocker not to accept any bid for him if we somehow received one. This game highlighted why we need a new centre half.

I also thought Antonio wasn’t at his best. Although still had his moments. And that was probably Fornals most quiet game to date in pre-season too.

I didn’t understand the silly experiment with Ben Johnson. It made more sense to play Fredericks on the wing and have Johnson at rightback.

Coventry and Lanzini both had solid games. However, they don’t offer much defensively. We could get away with playing either alongside Rice or/& Soucek. But without Rice &/or Soucek we’ll be torn a new one. I thought it was no coincidence that Coventry went up a gear the moment Noble came on at half time, who offered us a bit more physicality in midfield.

Benrahma other than a few silly efforts in the first half had another very promising performance with a very good goal. It can only do his confidence some good and I hope he has a great season this time.

Onto our final friendly pre-season! :newthumb: :hamm:
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:44 am Better to experiment in a friendly though
Absolutely. There’s no better time to experiment. Moyes even said so himself in his post match interview.

The only negative I took out of that game really was how poor we looked defensively again. I thought even poor young Alves had his worst performance in Pre-season. Albeit it was against by far his toughest opponent to date. But that shaky performance will probably cost him a first team place for next season. As long as we get another centre half in I’d loan him to a Championship club for the season. I still see potential in him.

Coventry will be the only youngster to make the cut for a first team place this season. Dare I say it at times Coventry really did play like a younger and slightly quicker Mark Noble. Perfect timing to hopefully find the next Mark Noble, with this being his final season.
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

Shabu wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:28 am I might be getting my season's mixed up but didn't we have a brilliant pre season under Avrum Grant?
Yes, undefeated! Then looked what happened! Decent cup runs though!
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 772 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

funky chicken wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:30 pm Benrahma other than a few silly efforts in the first half had another very promising performance with a very good goal.
I only remember one that he tried to curl into the corner but didn't get enough whip on, which went high and wide. But without the 'silly efforts', you don't get the goal. It's a 1 in 5 type of goal.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

funky chicken wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:30 pm Benrahma other than a few silly efforts in the first half had another very promising performance with a very good goal. It can only do his confidence some good and I hope he has a great season this time.
Good goal, but for me he's still lacking something. There was a situation in the first half when Cress had a flying overlap and just needed the ball slid to him as he went past. Benny opted to turn inside, was blocked out, and ended shooting well wide. Selfish or lack of vision? Dunno.

I do know Cress was arm-waving fury, though...
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 843 likes

Post by mushy »

61dicksey wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:02 pm I was really hoping this taking the knee was going to be done away with this season.
To be honest I was sickened by a small section of our fans reaction to it yesterday. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but the venom and abuse directed at our own players left me saddened and a feeling that I might not want to be a part of this anymore.
I stress that it only seemed like a small section but these are supposed to be our most loyal fans, bondholders etc.
If you don't like it then turn your backs or better still don't come. Screaming vile abuse at our own is beyond belief for me.
I can see this ending badly.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Wasn’t really impressed with Brentford’s new ground. That schlep to the away end through the luxury apartment blocks being built reminded me a bit of our place. I wonder how it sits with the Brentford fans after coming from a beautiful old ground which was Griffin Park. I’m gutted I never got to go there but everyone I know who went spoke highly of it. Also 17k capacity for newly built stadium with Premier League football is a bit small, although was told Brentford were a league 2 side when ground was broke.

Wasn’t a great game but Benrahma’s goal was brilliant. Antonio looked very rusty imo. I know he scored the one that got disallowed but I seem to remember one effort ended up in row z and he fluffed another when beautifully put through for a one-on-one with their keeper. It just underlines the fact we desperately need a new forward as you know he’ll pick up a knock sooner or later.

What was the story with Bowen not being included in the squad? Hope he’s not Liverpool bound. :nonpl:
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1162 likes
Total likes: 674 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

steps wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:59 pm …………..
What was the story with Bowen not being included in the squad? Hope he’s not Liverpool bound. :nonpl:
He got injured in training during the week and was declared unavailable for selection.

Agree with your post re Coventry. He looked very comfortable and performed well….again. As I have said on the CC thread, he has to be given his chance this year otherwise what’s the point of the u23 process?

Thought Alves stepped in well as well when he came on. He’s another make or break this year. Two u23 promotions into main squad is a good return.