The Summer Transfer Thread 2021

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Dieter Eckstein
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 283 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2021

Post by Dieter Eckstein »

paulhs1 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:49 pm Blokes a cripple too. Madness
Played 33 games last season. 42 the season before. There’s obviously still concerns over the injury that ruined his time at Liverpool, but he’s hardly crocked.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Who we may or not still be on our striker shortlist (going by names we’ve been linked with):

Hzolek
Sima
Giovanni Simeone
Patrick Schick
Paul Onuachu
Abraham
Origi
Adam Armstrong
Eddie Nketiah
Last edited by Roby on Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SullySpecial
Has liked: 257 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by SullySpecial »

At this rate our European adventure is going to ensure we are relegated. Reinforcements desperately needed. Someone. Anyone!
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Lovejoy wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:52 pm :thup:

And? Lampard use to score 20 a season was he a forward as well? I mean classing Bowen as a forward now, this obsession with playing wingers up front is strange but whatever floats your boat.
What’s wrong moving players to other positions? Did you not enjoy Arnie’s performances when he became a striker? Do you think the Spurs fans hated it when Gareth Bale went from leftback to attacker? Heck Man City played a lot of their matches last season without a recognised striker and still walked the League.

If Bowen went up front next season and scored 15+ goals are you seriously going to complain about it? :?
Macca1973
Has liked: 1798 likes
Total likes: 1119 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Roby wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:51 pm We’ve been in worst situations than this lads, at least we aren’t having to sell first to buy.

Saying that, they’ve let Moyes down and he deserves better than this.
They have. I’m annoyed with myself for getting sucked in again and believing it would be different this summer, that Moyes would be allowed to continue to rebuild. We did amazing to finish 6th last season and qualify for Europe which despite the last couple of experiences we’re all looking forward to. However we could all see the squad deficiencies and in January we weren’t happy that we didn’t replace Haller but we were doing well so we trusted Moyes.

This summer though it’s unacceptable to be this far into the window, this close to the season starting and actually have a worse squad than we finished last season with. I’ve been a West Ham supporter for 40 years, I know a relegation dogfight squad when I see one now and that’s what we’ve got, I was hoping those days were behind us but the owners have let us all down again!
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Bowen's best position is CF I think. Time will tell
Lovejoy
Has liked: 967 likes
Total likes: 946 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

funky chicken wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:02 pm What’s wrong moving players to other positions? Did you not enjoy Arnie’s performances when he became a striker? Do you think the Spurs fans hated it when Gareth Bale went from leftback to attacker? Heck Man City played a lot of their matches last season without a recognised striker and still walked the League.

If Bowen went up front next season and scored 15+ goals are you seriously going to complain about it? :?
What’s wrong with maybe actually signing a centre forward. I mean we only sold Haller 7 months ago. I have no problem with it but how many good games has Bowen had there? 1, Leicester at home?. I can’t see how Bowen works up top in our system. Another problem, if Bowen steps in for Antonio when his hamstrings go in a couple of weeks who the f*** plays wide right?. It’ll be Yarmolenko probably and he is a waste of space.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

D C wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:52 pm Is Cantwell not good then? If so then why are title contenders Aston Villa after him?
PR? Billed as the new Grealish, but ended up being dropped by Norwich last time they were here as he kept giving the ball away and not working hard enough.

No idea how he did last season mind.
EastVillageHammer
Has liked: 3156 likes
Total likes: 2514 likes

Post by EastVillageHammer »

Macca1973 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:04 pm They have. I’m annoyed with myself for getting sucked in again and believing it would be different this summer, that Moyes would be allowed to continue to rebuild. We did amazing to finish 6th last season and qualify for Europe which despite the last couple of experiences we’re all looking forward to. However we could all see the squad deficiencies and in January we weren’t happy that we didn’t replace Haller but we were doing well so we trusted Moyes.

This summer though it’s unacceptable to be this far into the window, this close to the season starting and actually have a worse squad than we finished last season with. I’ve been a West Ham supporter for 40 years, I know a relegation dogfight squad when I see one now and that’s what we’ve got, I was hoping those days were behind us but the owners have let us all down again!
Bang on. The lack of planning just astonishes me.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

D C wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:52 pm Is Cantwell not good then? If so then why are title contenders Aston Villa after him?
I'm going on his form from two seasons ago in the premier league.

He ain't good enough.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

MB & Venice understood.

:newthumb:

Can’t imagine giving tax breaks to foreigners is a popular law in Italy.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

I think you discount Abraham going to Villa now. Watkins and Ings is plenty.

I cant see him going to Arsenal either.
Dieter Eckstein
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 283 likes

Post by Dieter Eckstein »

Hugh Jargon II wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:05 pm Bowen's best position is CF I think. Time will tell
May well be. The worry is that against Celtic, with Bowen missing, we had Johnson playing where Bowen does. We might not need a CF, but we definitely need someone!
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:54 pm Sometimes these things happen...

you have a list. 1st choice on that list is available but proving difficult to get. Might go down to the wire. Another team has come in for your 2nd choice. What do you do? You can't just reserve everyone on your list whilst you work down them all. **** happens. Nobody knows how high Ings was on Moyes's list. He might even not be as high as 2nd choice.

And you also can't start throwing 100k plus salaries out on demand. Zouma allegedly wanted 100k, Lingard will, Pereira would've, Abraham most likely will too. Aswell as the obvious effect on the clubs finances, you also have to think what effect that will have on the other players who earn less. Will it cause more unrest in the dressing room?
Sadly when it comes to Strikers we end up with number 15 on the list :crossed:

What a load of cobblers that we weren't spending in January as our strikers weren't available till the summer. Sullivan leaks this crap all the time and then Henri Camara, Mladen Petric or Simone Zaza rock up.
DublinDave
Has liked: 2722 likes
Total likes: 1754 likes

Post by DublinDave »

EastVillageHammer wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:53 pm We don’t have anyone else to sell, that we can sell. We aren’t buying anyone anyway.

It really is quite bleak.
If we wanted to sell, Rice, 80mil, Soucek 45/50mil, Bowen, 40mil, Fornals 40+mil, Benny 30+mil Diop 20 mil, Coufal 15mil... It's not like we don't have valuable assets... I'd rather keep all of the above rather than lose the spirit we already have to bring in A.N. Random just to keep the hoi polloi happy... Chill out, the sky isn't falling...
Last edited by DublinDave on Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floydie_hammer
Has liked: 80 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by floydie_hammer »

What's Charlie Austin up to these days?
scatts
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by scatts »

stu1 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:07 pm MB & Venice understood.

If those foreigners are footballers I’m sure they fully support it.
Felixstowesfinest
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Felixstowesfinest »

Don’t worry boys we’re gonna do a villa
And pluck a decent player right outta left field and everyone’s gonna say WHOA!!!
Didn’t see that coming :lol: :arry: :lol:
VeniceHammer
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 146 likes

Post by VeniceHammer »

stu1 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:07 pm MB & Venice understood.

It was supposed to be a law favoring new foreign investment in the country, but so far mostly football clubs benefited from it lol (Ronaldo, de ligt or lukaku would have not come to serie a without this law)
ohsnap
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by ohsnap »

floydie_hammer wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:14 pm What's Charlie Austin up to these days?
QPR I believe