The Summer Transfer Thread 2021

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

HammerPDC
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 1084 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2021

Post by HammerPDC »

Puncher12 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:30 pm I get your point and I've seen it here a few times but our current system has us relying on a winger to play up front. It's not that cemented of a system that we should not be looking at proven goalscorers if they become available.

Haller on paper "fit the system" of being to hold up the ball for people to play off him but ultimately it didn't really work, an option like Armstrong is cheap, provides fantastic cover and seemed quite versatile, I'm not saying we should have signed him but if we're talking players who fit our current system available and proven, whose available really?
Outside of goals, I'm not overly sure what other skills he has that makes him a success for our counter attacking style of play, he's too small to hold it up effectively in the Prem or even really contest with Antonio for a starting spot

So we'd effectively be paying £20m for a player we know won't contend with Antonio, and won't necessarily suit our system or be more effective than Bowen in that role

I'm happy to be patient until the right player comes along who can offer serious competition, personally
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Aceface wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:17 pm I mean, in a literal sense, yes. But really, none of those three players is very much like Soucek and Rice.
Honest question, why keep them?

For me you don't need them to be Rice or Soucek for it to work... you need them to be the best versions of them. Noble and Lanzini have strengths on the ball Rice and Soucek do not. Play to their strengths and don't expect them to be players they're not and it can work.

I wouldn't be upset to see another come in but you'd have to imagine 1 would have to go. 6 for 2 starting positions is a bit much...
Puncher12
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by Puncher12 »

I thought they moved AFCON to the Summer now so it doesn't coincide with the PL season? I remember seeing Liverpool fans panicking at the thought of losing Mane, Salah etc.
Ding
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 509 likes

Post by Ding »

The news (unconfirmed) is that we might be signing Milenkovic for 14m. Notwithstanding that he on the last 12 months of his contract (he won't renew), it's actually a ridiculous bargain for one of the most admired young defenders in Europe. Yet we are not seeing competition for him from the rest of Europe.

Why?

I think the Spanish, French (bar PSG) and Italian sides are financially screwed this summer. Lots will need to sell to survive. There'll be bargains to be had. I would be very surprised if Moyes doesn't take advantage in the remaining weeks of this window. Perhaps that's why we haven't yet pulled the trigger on the Czech candidates.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

If it's a 2 foot attacking midfielder we are looking for, then what about Sullivan himself ?
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Lovejoy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:39 pm I keep seeing Bowen up top suggested, I’ve asked a few times if that’s the case who then plays wide right when he is up top?
Fornals or Yarmolenko as we go 343
Lovejoy
Has liked: 967 likes
Total likes: 946 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

westlondonhammer wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:22 pm Fornals or Yarmolenko as we go 343
But Fornals plays wide left? Who then plays there? Robbing Peter to pay paul that’s all we’re doing. I mean I don’t think Bowen is particularly good upfront tbh.
Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

Fornals for me at least he trys to track back, yarmo as to go for me to use the money from in to move 1 maybe 2 in ( especially with his wages ) :newthumb:
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

westlondonhammer wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:19 pm Honest question, why keep them?

For me you don't need them to be Rice or Soucek for it to work... you need them to be the best versions of them. Noble and Lanzini have strengths on the ball Rice and Soucek do not. Play to their strengths and don't expect them to be players they're not and it can work.

I wouldn't be upset to see another come in but you'd have to imagine 1 would have to go. 6 for 2 starting positions is a bit much...
I would say that it's about having options for each game. The ideal signing would have been a player like Ben Godfrey, who can act as a defensive midfielder, but who can also play across the back four. He brings you the defensive steel to cover those aspects of Rice and Soucek. Right now, we have options of players who are arguably better going forwards than they are, but we do not have cover for them defensively. Either individually, or perish the thought, if both of them were to be unavailable.

I believe Moyes thinks like I do, in the fact that it is pointless buying players to be backups. You want to bring someone in who is either an upgrade, or who will really push that person to play in that role. That will help the squad generally as well. If we bring in a striker who is better or able to push Antonio, then suddenly, you have the option of playin Antonio out wide, or off the new striker. If you have a defensive midfielder who is going to challenge Soucek and Rice for a starting role, then suddenly you have the option of playing Soucek further forward in the way that Moyes has used Fellaini in the past.

That's what we should be doing.
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 113 likes

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:21 pm If it's a 2 foot attacking midfielder we are looking for, then what about Sullivan himself ?
:clap:
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Lovejoy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:25 pm But Fornals plays wide left? Who then plays there? Robbing Peter to pay paul that’s all we’re doing. I mean I don’t think Bowen is particularly good upfront tbh.
5 at the back with Masuaku in and Pablo n Benny behind/wide of Bowen.
Yarmolenko in
Fredericks in
4-3-3, Lanzini/Noble in the middle, Pablo n Benny behind/wide of Bowen.
Lanzini in the middle of the three behind Bowen

etc etc etc

there are many systems for it. I haven't particularly warmed to Bowen the striker anyway, but it's easy to envisage.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

BigFatSam wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:55 pm I also have faith in him to speak out of the board are ducking him, which he has done in the past. He’s very honest and transparent with what’s going on.
Moyes is honest - no argument. Transparent? Anyone dealing with transfers who is transparent is a fool, and Moyes is not a fool either.

But when exactly has he "spoken out about the board ducking him"? As I said, he's not a fool and to do that would be foolish.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Ding wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:21 pm The news (unconfirmed) is that we might be signing Milenkovic for 14m. Notwithstanding that he on the last 12 months of his contract (he won't renew), it's actually a ridiculous bargain for one of the most admired young defenders in Europe. Yet we are not seeing competition for him from the rest of Europe.

Why?

I think the Spanish, French (bar PSG) and Italian sides are financially screwed this summer. Lots will need to sell to survive. There'll be bargains to be had. I would be very surprised if Moyes doesn't take advantage in the remaining weeks of this window. Perhaps that's why we haven't yet pulled the trigger on the Czech candidates.
Because nobody can contest with the power and draw of MIGHTY West Ham. :muscle: :crest:
The Green Man
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by The Green Man »

Very early days obviously and the league is pish but Kyogo looks a steal for Celtic. Looks rapid and lovely movement. I reckon he'll be in the Prem in a season's time.
Puncher12
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by Puncher12 »

steveyrockstar wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:36 pm Because nobody can contest with the power and draw of MIGHTY West Ham. :muscle: :crest:

Exactly that mate, watch the transfers come rolling in now after the Betway Cup win at the weekend.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Growing up in Serbia he's always dreamt of walking out with all those bubbles.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

The Green Man wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:37 pm Very early days obviously and the league is pish but Kyogo looks a steal for Celtic. Looks rapid and lovely movement. I reckon he'll be in the Prem in a season's time.
Didn't Ajeti get 3 in 3 or something up there?

You're right though, it's very early days.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 967 likes
Total likes: 946 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

Wilko1304 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:31 pm 5 at the back with Masuaku in and Pablo n Benny behind/wide of Bowen.
Yarmolenko in
Fredericks in
4-3-3, Lanzini/Noble in the middle, Pablo n Benny behind/wide of Bowen.
Lanzini in the middle of the three behind Bowen

etc etc etc

there are many systems for it. I haven't particularly warmed to Bowen the striker anyway, but it's easy to envisage.

Possibly the only way but I think Masuaku is becoming as much a liability with injures as Antonio is. Without him we can’t play wing backs IMO
Jarvo
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Jarvo »

Macca1973 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:51 pm How many elements to a transfer are there that there are still ‘multiple’ outstanding!?
Probably only fee, contract, medical and player registration! :crylol:
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Jarvo wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:58 pm Probably only fee, contract, medical and player registration! :crylol:
You forgot the most important - three different agent fees :D