Newcastle Utd 2-4 West Ham Utd (15/08/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Re: ⚽ Newcastle Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by woodford »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:40 am Every game Declan Rice playes where he has a second half like yesterday, his fee rises.

Bowen, Rice, Benny, Soucek, Pablo, Antonio.....all, at times, were superb.

We should have had 7 ( seven) goals. Steve Bruce is deluded if he thinks it all hinged on the penalty.
This is bang on, Brucie does love a bit of deflected blame
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Was an extremely entertaining & closely contested match right up until the point when our fourth went in. Up until that point Newcastle could have had a couple more - as could we. I can't remember a match where both teams created so many chances on goal - love it.

Live I thought it was a dead cert for a penalty. Looking at the replays made me change my mind completely - what I saw was Jake Murphy play the ball first, with any contact coming second. Fortunately for us, I can only imagine the VAR crew felt they didn't have enough to declare the decision a clear and obvious error. I'd be spitting blood if that decision was given against us.

MotM was St Max for me - the most amazing skill I've seem in the prem since Di Canio - yet I lost count of how many times I saw St Max closer to his own 18 yard box than ours as he tried to pick up the ball. Bruce needs to figure out if St Max should play as a proper number 10 behind Wilson, or if he should be an out and out winger. St Max needs to be right up in the opposition half if he's going to terrorize defences and shred them like he did to us a bunch of times yesterday. With a player like St Max there's absolutely no point trying to shoehorn him into a conventional formation and strategy, so if was me I'd stick a number 10 on his back and just let him do whatever the **** he wants, as long as it's up front. Next time we play Newcastle we need to have Fredericks man-marking him - he's the only player we have who has the instincts and speed to stay with him.

On to us - really enjoyed goals 3 & 4. Fantastic finishes for both. Bowen looked very, very good - really enjoyed watching him play.
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

I agree with Richneal (above) re: Saint-Maximin, the bloke is mustard and gave us problems all game. It's no surprise that during his long injury spell, last season, the Barcodes looked like relegation candidates.

Saint-Maximin aside, we were the better side for most of the match. We got a bit lucky with the penalty IMO, but that is football, we have gotten bad luck more often than the good, so I will take that. Lots of players getting the plaudits, but I don't think anybody has mentioned Fornals, that lad doesn't stop running and was massive for us.

MOTD is a disgrace of a program. I record and watch it later, so I skipped through the Harry Kane wankfest at the beginning. But putting on a boring 1-0 before our 6 goal thriller shows how they view us. The pundits then focused on Newcastle and how unlucky they were. I expect it from SKY, but we fund the BBC from our license fee, they should remain neutral and cover all teams equally.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

mushy wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:00 am It's like everyone has forgotten about the super League and the attempts from those clubs to ***** all over the Prem.
They should have been slung out but it was never going to happen because the media love them.
MOTD last night pandered to their every need, the rest of us should be happy to pick up the crumbs apparently.
100% :newthumb:
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

Cracking game, flowed nicely.

Our front 4 caused absolute havoc, the inter-changing and speed of passing was a joy to watch, especially in the 2nd half.

Disappointed we didn’t score more. Bruce managed to get his customary excuse in ref the penalty.

Bit of reality check, that’s our best team on paper. We are so thin on numbers, depth and quality is untrue. Only a matter of time before this catches up with us. If we can bag a LB, 2 x CBs, 2 x midfielders and 2 x forwards we may have another good season. Moyes has done a superb job under the circumstances though the lack of understanding or awareness from the football media is astounding.

Hard to pick a MOTM though I’d probably plum for Rice. Benni and Bowen not far behind, these two are improving all the time which is great to see.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

S-H wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:50 am What really impressed me about this West Ham, was watching us move up through the gears yesterday, we simply were too good for Newcastle, especially once Rice took matters into his own hands.
What's nice is, both this match and last season, is that generally we play some very nice football and I am entertained. That we may sometimes lose and occasionally play poorly I can accept. Its the West Ham way.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Thought that was typical of the team under Moyes, all through last season - we didn't know when to quit, kept working and pushing, and played neatly with the ball on the break to create our chances. Hopefully we can continue to show that quality through the season again.

Personally thought the opinion was the right decision as Fornals would have got to that ball without being impeded by the challenge, regardless of any little touch the Newcastle player got on it before taking Fornals out. But we were all over them at that point in time and the goal(s) would have come regardless.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

St-Maximin is the best dribbler in the Prem.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

They did a job on us twice last season, caught us cold first game and although we self destructed a bit in the second game they were good. Yesterday Newcastle started like they left off, but it didn't last, we should have been leading through Bowen during the first half and that might have brought our dominant phase forward from 46mins. We came out second half and blew them away. Rice took control of the midfield, Benrhama was mixing his game up with some quick passing and linking with Antonio and the no 9 was bossing the Toon back line.
We were worthy winners, the pen was a bit soft but it wouldn't have mattered, we had got into a grove and would have won anyway.
A very entertaining game, which we deserved the three points from and very unlike West Ham to start like that 1st time out a new season.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

fjthegrey wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:52 am St-Maximin is the best dribbler in the Prem.
Honestly, what a cracking player.

So glad we don't have to face him every week.
jastons
Has liked: 886 likes
Total likes: 838 likes

Post by jastons »

We could do a lot worse than sticking in a bid for St - Maximin. He would probably cost a fortune (ruling us out straight away tbf) but a cracking player.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

S-H wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:23 am How good was the ball from Bowen (on his right foot) to release Benahama, for Antonio's goal.

Brilliant stuff.

Glad you mentioned this - excellent vision by Jarrod Bowen and was very unlucky early on after that superb run [ needs to work on that side of his game ] - he was brilliant yesterday . :newthumb:

Also , re-Craig Dawson - thought the criticism of Dawson yesterday was a bit harsh , St Maximim will make fools of the best defenders at one time or another , Almiron is another who will always give defenders problems - Dawson is probably the bravest of our defenders and was unlucky not to score in the first few minutes - still a good enough 3rd choice cb .

Re - Saint Maximim - he does look good I must admit and he put that ball in a perfect spot for Wilson to score - works hard too - as for end-product , I'm unsure - not as productive as Wilfried Zaha and Newcastle probably suits him .
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Positives and Negatives

Negatives

Sloppy as hell at the back at times
Probably should have scored more
Very poor start to the game

Positives

We look so deadly when we counter
We bounced back
We made those mistakes, still won and we have a manager that will have noted them and will work on it
Benny scored a header
Four different goalscorers
We should have scored more but we still scored four
Fans were amazing
Declan Rice
Pablo Fornals
Benny and Antonio linking up

:scarfer:
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Even though it thankfully didn't effect the result in the end, but how the hell did Atkinson not give us that freekick in the 2nd half for that challenge on Bowen? :eh: Him and the lino had a good view. Shocking decision.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Let's not forget that we came from behind twice to win. This is something we did a fair bit last season and I'm glad it doesn't seem to be a one off. Shows we have the belief that we can come back and no longer a soft touch after conceding.
Yodi
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Yodi »

For me the best thing about this west ham team is it is the first time in decades that I am confident we can win when we go behind.
In the past when we conceded the first goal, you are clinging onto the glimmer of hope you may rescue a point. Now there is real hope they will get straight back up and land a punch, this is what it feels like to be a big club.

I actually think yesterday was the perfect start to the season. To come from behind twice away from home and win like that must give them so much confidence for every game going forward

This will be a great season, even better than last COYI
WebmasterFF
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 152 likes

Post by WebmasterFF »

IronZ-79 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:39 am Let's not forget that we came from behind twice to win. This is something we did a fair bit last season and I'm glad it doesn't seem to be a one off. Shows we have the belief that we can come back and no longer a soft touch after conceding.
In the final season at the Boleyn we had a similar attacking threat where even after going 2-0 down I always thought we could get back into the game.

We now have a team who only goes 1-0 instead, which makes life a bit easier :crylol:
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Funny thing is St Maxim dribbling gave the ball away outside his own box for our penalty. If he played for us people would be calling him out every game for losing the ball.
bigcarpchaser
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by bigcarpchaser »

Would be great this season if we could hold on to a 3-0 lead lol
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 245 likes

Post by steps »

Wow, that was a good win. What an intense game.

Hard to see how Lingard will fit in the team if he comes back. :smiler:

Saint-Maxim caused us all sorts of problems. Can’t understand why a bigger club hasn’t gone in for him.

And a penalty in our first game of the season. Incredible. Please don’t let Antonio take another one though.