Newcastle Utd 2-4 West Ham Utd (15/08/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Re: ⚽ Newcastle Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by jastons »

fjthegrey wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:36 pm At no stage, in any part of the goal, was anybody offside. Even if Soucek got a touch on the ball, he was onside when Cresswell played it, and Bowen was behind the ball.
I was surprised that the goal wasn't given straight away.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

CarltonColesLeftFoot wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:59 pm Declan Rice, nae room for you son. Go back to Ireland.

Sean Longstaff WHOOOOOOOOOO future England captain.
Aliens better not be watching this.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Albie Beck wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:40 pm Yep the defender on the far side - well, his foot - was playing them on.
I think the issue was if Soucek got a touch then was Bowen offside, in the event that he finished the move.
I saw two diferrent stills shown on telly that showed differing levels of offsideness, which is why this method of determining offside has always been rubbish.
But, although it might have appeared close if you are scrutinizing it, none of them were offside at any significant moment.
Last edited by Crossd_Hammrs on Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

sendô wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:08 pm Sadly I missed the live action for this as I was on holiday at the biggest craphole in the UK (Pontins), and after finally managing to get the long suffering Mrs Sendo to agree to let me go to the bar to watch the second half I get there only to find they weren’t bloody well showing it.

Anyway, I feared the worst when I saw us behind twice - that the West Ham of old was back - but the character and resilience in this team is phenomenal. When was the last time we won opening day? That Arsenal game when we all thought Reece Oxford would be the next big thing?

Looking at this, it could well be that the core of our team is even better this year than last. We just need to improve the defence and add depth and options.
Benrahma, Fornals and Bowen seem to have improved, Said's passing was quicker and better, and Pablo looks to have benefits from the summer rest and looked very fresh as did Bowen who was unlucky not to score and was equally likely to get MOTM as Said who did.
The big improvement in our second half performance was that Rice got hold of central midfield, he stopped them and started us off nd we built from there. The 4th goal is a modern West Ham special, three passes for a lightning quick break, Bowens does the big damage with his first time pass over the Toon midfield to Said to get us "out" and up the park, Antonio starts and finishes it, but he's not a "striker" (c) West Ham twitter 2021 ......... it is a thing of rare beauty, and brutally executed., like a football version of a Mike Tyson working inside half a step out right upper cut, night night who ever you are.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:21 pm I think the issue was if Soucek got a touch then Bowen was/would have been offside, in the event that he finished the move.
Think Bowen was level -

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/202 ... ham-united

freeze frame at 0.40
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Albie Beck wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:31 pm Think Bowen was level -

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/202 ... ham-united

freeze frame at 0.40
Yeah, I agree. You caught my quote as I was amending it :smiler:
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1935 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Soucek claimed the goal in an interview after the game, anyone know who it was given to or if it could change?
Albie Beck
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:44 pm Yeah, I agree. You caught my quote as I was amending it
:D piece of piss this VAR lark...
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

fjthegrey wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:36 pm At no stage, in any part of the goal, was anybody offside. Even if Soucek got a touch on the ball, he was onside when Cresswell played it, and Bowen was behind the ball.
True, it was very tight but I think just on. Even though he didn't touch the ball, I would say that Soucek was interfering with play but Bowen wasn't. The first was in the middle of the goal and occupying goalkeeper and defenders, the second was practically on the back post.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Estuary wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:47 pmThey just hate anything with Ashley's finger print on it, including their best player. That's just weird.

To me they are lost in a silo of hate, better give football up than live in abject misery.
The claims that they are a brilliant, supportive, vocal fan base are a myth. Far more fair weather than they ever get credit for.
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

Estuary wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:47 pm
To me they are lost in a silo of hate, better give football up than live in abject misery.
Mate , don't read the transfer thread
Estuary

Post by Estuary »

woodford wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:20 pm Mate , don't read the transfer thread
:crylol:
Ethanadict
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 250 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

The OV...

"I sometimes wonder if i'd not be pissed as much if I didn't support Newcastle."
- UncleBuzzcocks

I have some sympathy for that.
Ethanadict
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 250 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

Estuary wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:47 pm Correct, the barcodes right back played them all on by a foot or so. The pen was soft, but they cleared a header off the line at 1 min in and Antonio hits the post before the pen is awarded, the game was never about the ref or VAR.

The OV on ASM is weird, he was key in both their goals and was the only real danger to us, he hasn't got 90 mins in him though, a bit like Traore, sprinters burn a lot of energy.

They just hate anything with Ashley's finger print on it, including their best player. That's just weird.

I totally agree. First on our goal, it was obvious the RB was playing everyone onside and yet the TV pundits - all of them - seemed to miss it. Disappointing. They just kept checking whether people touched it. Irrelevant - they were all onside when Cresswell passed it!

There was also no mention of the foul on Bowen that wasn't given. He ****ed it first and then got taken out, thigh high. My memory might be out, but I thought it was in the penalty area?

And yeah, ASM was their main threat and every time he got the ball I was expecting something to happen, praying that he wouldn't find Wilson again. Maybe take him off with ten to go as he looked tired, but even then... surely not when you're chasing a game. There were quite a few players on both sides blowing in the last ten minutes. Moyes certainly wouldn't have taken him off!

The barcodes sure are a depressed bunch. Maybe we don't quite have the worst owners in the league.
Estuary

Post by Estuary »

Ethanadict wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:35 pm I totally agree. First on our goal, it was obvious the RB was playing everyone onside and yet the TV pundits - all of them - seemed to miss it. Disappointing. They just kept checking whether people touched it. Irrelevant - they were all onside when Cresswell passed it!

There was also no mention of the foul on Bowen that wasn't given. He ****ed it first and then got taken out, thigh high. My memory might be out, but I thought it was in the penalty area?

And yeah, ASM was their main threat and every time he got the ball I was expecting something to happen, praying that he wouldn't find Wilson again. Maybe take him off with ten to go as he looked tired, but even then... surely not when you're chasing a game. There were quite a few players on both sides blowing in the last ten minutes. Moyes certainly wouldn't have taken him off!

The barcodes sure are a depressed bunch. Maybe we don't quite have the worst owners in the league.
Re-owners, the old saying "every dog has fleas", perm any owner from 19 (Leicester get a bye here for now)
leyton Hammer
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by leyton Hammer »

Really enjoyed that yesterday, my 1st visit to Newcastle, and a great performance, nice to see we are carrying over last seasons good form. The famous Geordie crowd? When Newcastle came out at the start of the match the cheer was unbelivablely loud and they drowned us out for a whole 15 seconds...then nothing, even after they took the lead for the second time, no songs, nothing Thought our travelling fans were superb as usual and tried winding them up but still nothing. They could be in for a long season if the indifference spreads to the team and i think Bruces head might actually explode during an after match interview!

I do like the ground though, great views of the city from row V!
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Well that was a cracking and in truth surprising result (for me anyways) - I thought we would lose.

Wilson is a bloody handful, Newcastle need him to stay fit. Rice 2nd half was imperious, lovely to see Benny play some lovely stuff, as did many of our players. Our starting 11 will give the vast majority a proper game, maybe all PL teams if some of the big boys are slightly off it. I did look at the bench and think what happens if iron Mike needs a rest or breaks down, I know Bowen (who was also excellent - should have scored though) can do a job but then we have to play different - 2 weeks to sort that I guess...

Cracking start though, well done Moyes, coaching staff & the team, happy days :scarfer:
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

fjthegrey wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:17 pm The claims that they are a brilliant, supportive, vocal fan base are a myth. Far more fair weather than they ever get credit for.
Been saying that for years, always remember your sickbag when some **** starts banging on about what great 'fans' they've got/how they should be such a massive club/a sleeping giant/blah/blah, f*cking blah....

You live in a dump and your team's sh*t.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Ethanadict wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:35 pm There was also no mention of the foul on Bowen that wasn't given. He ****ed it first and then got taken out, thigh high. My memory might be out, but I thought it was in the penalty area?
Matt Ritchie I think it was. Yellow card for that, easily. Ritchie was the one who 'elbowed' Cresswell I think?
Xabbu
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Xabbu »

jastons wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:09 pm Matt Ritchie I think it was. Yellow card for that, easily. Ritchie was the one who 'elbowed' Cresswell I think?
Richie, poor touch outside box, nicked by Bowen, thigh high challenge not given as free kick, could have been yellow

Richie elbows Coufal jumping inside box no foul, no pen, could be yellow.

And yet we have to listen to incessant complaints about unfair refereeing decisions