West Ham Utd 4-1 Leicester City (23/08/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ballantine
Has liked: 1317 likes
Total likes: 235 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd V Leicester City: match thread

Post by ballantine »

Well, that was something!
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1318 likes

Post by davids cross »

We really are just massive bastards .....

:crylol:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I can safely say that is the best performance I have ever seen from my team and I go back a very long way. Too far, in fact
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

Brief highlights in case anyone missed the goals.

Carlton Di Cottee
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Carlton Di Cottee »

Oooooh Mickey you're so fine,
You're so fine you blow my mind,
Hey Mickey, Hey Mickey!

Love that man, what a performance and what an occasion to deliver it.

:crest: .
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1498 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Trying to get tickets for the Palace game-

NWhammer
Has liked: 794 likes
Total likes: 1527 likes

Post by NWhammer »

I don’t want to knock Allardyce too much because he did a fantastic job for us.

But, the famous game against Hull when we were 1-0 up and they got a man sent off. He brought on a defender and sat back and West Ham got booed off the pitch.

Last night against 10 men, Moyes pushes Soucek right up and we had got 4/5 players pressing their 18 yard box on goal kicks. I just thought, yes! This is it, this is exactly what we’ve wanted all these years. We were so assured last night I didn’t think I was watching West Ham at times. Even when we conceded and you could hear the atmosphere change instantly, the players composed themselves went back to the high press and being brave on the ball. It was such a good performance.
ChikinRun
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by ChikinRun »

One of those nights wasn’t it? I went over to my youngest brother’s to watch it. His lovely wife has early onset dementia, and she had a really bad day, went missing, police involved, found two hours later, safe thank God. To say my bro needed that game is an understatement, he was physically and mentally exhausted, and by the end I had him back, laughing, cheering, enjoying a special moment. Perspective...yes, we often talk about it’s just a game, and we have learned and shared many horrible personal and family tragedies on this brilliant site, but it’s a game that does transform lives for the better, when you have love and passion for your club.
Thank you West Ham, thank you Michael.
woodford
Has liked: 420 likes
Total likes: 307 likes

Post by woodford »

NWhammer wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:25 am

Last night against 10 men, Moyes pushes Soucek right up and we had got 4/5 players pressing their 18 yard box on goal kicks. I just thought, yes! This is it, this is exactly what we’ve wanted all these years. We were so assured last night I didn’t think I was watching West Ham at times. Even when we conceded and you could hear the atmosphere change instantly, the players composed themselves went back to the high press and being brave on the ball. It was such a good performance.
And we actually took advantage of the 10 men rather than pass it across the back and scratch our heads how to go through them

A really confident and assured performance.

Massive
Shabu
Has liked: 4190 likes
Total likes: 2053 likes

Post by Shabu »

ChikinRun wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:28 am One of those nights wasn’t it? I went over to my youngest brother’s to watch it. His lovely wife has early onset dementia, and she had a really bad day, went missing, police involved, found two hours later, safe thank God. To say my bro needed that game is an understatement, he was physically and mentally exhausted, and by the end I had him back, laughing, cheering, enjoying a special moment. Perspective...yes, we often talk about it’s just a game, and we have learned and shared many horrible personal and family tragedies on this brilliant site, but it’s a game that does transform lives for the better, when you have love and passion for your club.
Bloody hell Mate. That was a rough day for your family. Glad you got through it ok.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 175 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

When were we last top of the league?
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 243 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

Barring the ticketing fiasco, a great night all round.

The atmosphere was fantastic all night, barring a 5 minute wobble when Leicester got one back.

Great performance, great result. Really glad we turned it on in front of a full house.

Who else thought the flood lights failed ahead of that pre game light show?? :rofl:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

:oink:
aaronhammer wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:51 am When were we last top of the league?
I think it was November 1959
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 243 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

aaronhammer wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:51 am When were we last top of the league?
I’m sure I read somewhere that it was 2006!
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

ChikinRun wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:28 am One of those nights wasn’t it? I went over to my youngest brother’s to watch it. His lovely wife has early onset dementia, and she had a really bad day, went missing, police involved, found two hours later, safe thank God. To say my bro needed that game is an understatement, he was physically and mentally exhausted, and by the end I had him back, laughing, cheering, enjoying a special moment. Perspective...yes, we often talk about it’s just a game, and we have learned and shared many horrible personal and family tragedies on this brilliant site, but it’s a game that does transform lives for the better, when you have love and passion for your club.
:hammc:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

woodford wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:29 am And we actually took advantage of the 10 men rather than pass it across the back and scratch our heads how to go through them
I thought the same. Too often against 10 men the other team would sit deep and we'd struggle to break them down, leaving us susceptible to the counter attack. Last night we were carving them apart at will, particularly the first 20 mins or so of the second half. We really should have scored more than 4.
Tarte Encore
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Tarte Encore »

Bar his brace and assist, my favourite contributions from Michail involved him dropping into midfield and repeatedly dispossessing Ndidi. A sort of "I'll have that thank you very much." then bombing on. A joy to behold.
larryberyl

Post by larryberyl »

TOP GAME AND PERFORMANCE FROM THE TEAM.

our first eleven is great but we dont have much behind it. keep fit is the key

great night and onto palace

COYI
OFT
Has liked: 3232 likes
Total likes: 1851 likes

Post by OFT »

That's some post to read ChikinRun
:kumbnew:
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

By far the most impressive performance from a West Ham team in many a year.

Yes the red card helped, yes Leicester were poor, but I genuinely feel that both were a result of how dominant we were.
Make no mistake, Leicester are a decent team, all be it with a few injuries last night. But we bullied them, frustrated them and were just much better than them in pretty much every area.

Superb night in every aspect. Great to be back in the stadium (I personally had no issues getting in at all), place was rocking and the team delivered.

One or two pundits eating their 'West Ham perform better without the fans' words this morning.

Quite excited about the possibility of that XI taking on all comers in the Europa League. If we can put that team out, we could give it a real go.