West Ham Utd 2-2 Crystal Palace (28/08/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd V Crystal Palace: match thread

Post by WCpete »

Monkey Magic wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:54 pm Interesting comments about the poor quality of the pitch from Moyes after the game. Anyone who was there notice anything, or is it less obvious from the stands?
I definitely noticed it on tv during the Leicester game. Sliding was taking up big chunks of turf and at one point after a sequence of play I saw a player lying on his back with his head in what looked like a pothole filled with water. Was very strange to see.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Aceface wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:08 pm Seems like Palace are something of a bogey side, not necessarily on the overall ledger, but we tend to come a cropper whenever we come up against them with the chance to push on up the table.
Been a good game v Palace last few seasons, always thrills and spills.
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

They’re the side we get our highlight reel goal against every season. Fornals goal would qualify for me.
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Dunno about you lot but I’m still fuming we didn’t get the 3 points that were there for the taking today.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Thoughts on today:

Firstly, I think that is the first thing I have done since the start of "all this" that really had me in close contact with people I didn't know. It was weird, and whilst I wore a mask to queue and in the concourse, few did. No judgement, just noticed it. Not sure I felt comfortable being around that many people yet.

Breezed through though, printing your tickets with the barcodes and such is a good idea. Paper seemed to work for those who had it, technology was having the odd failure. Some bloke on 606 was moaning about stewards asking for proof of vacccine, but didnt see anything like that.

The game itself. We were great in the first half, should have scored more and looked a class above. Bowen drifted out of the game a bit, but the attacking unit was working. Soucek and Rice were disciplined, more than usual, and that was notable when we threw crosses in and had no Czech b*****d to get on it.

Fornals is getting better and the confidence is showing in his play. He, Benrahma and Antonio played some lovely stuff together, supported by Cresswell. Wonder whether Bowen gets involved less cos Antonio doesnt drift down the right as much.

Second half, we were sloppy and they disrupted. Fair play to em, but they were snide in doing it. All game, but second half in particular, they were leaving legs and arms in on challenges to hurt people. No other excuse for it, they wanted to be snide. To be fair though, the ref punished none of it at all and encouraged them to do it by being weak.

Whether cos of that, their improved performance or our own flaws, we became very sloppy. Dawson was poor, really poor, and it's worse because you could see he was going to screw that up as he allowed Benteke to put pressure on him. I've seen Ogbonna criticised today, but he saved Dawson's blushes there. Shame it was immediately rendered pointless.

I think Dawson's mistakes are making the whole defence more shaky too.

Antonio got lucky but made that goal from nothing. You cannot say he isn't a striker now, that was just a striker making a goal out of nothing with good forward play.

Benrahma and Fornals lost influence over the game and we struggled, whilst Gallagher had a stormer even without the goals. His work ethic made our game harder, plus they had an extra man in midfield.

Overall, I always feel Palace are a problem for us so I'd take a point, especially with a win over another bogey side already secured (Newcastle).
Garry
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by Garry »

The only thing is spurs will be top of the league over the the break they have watford they will be winning the league now
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 »

For one thing though, I refuse to believe there is a more fun side than us. We just play good football and seem comfortable leaving space for others to play in too.
Garry
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by Garry »

We could have lost that at the end they missed a sitter from 6 yards but we should have been out of site in the 1st half
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

Wilko1304 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:21 pm For one thing though, I refuse to believe there is a more fun side than us. We just play good football and seem comfortable leaving space for others to play in too.
If the way we've started this season isn't the mythical "West Ham way" i don't know what is.
:hammc:
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

Didn’t think Rice played badly. Misplaced a couple of passes very early on, but then sorted himself out. Palace tried, and mostly succeeded, to stop us from playing in the second half, which probably made Rice less effective. Coufal didn’t have a great game. Weirdly I didn’t think Antonio was great either, despite an assist and a goal. Bowen, Benny and Fornals were all superb in the first half.

Couldn’t see exactly who was to blame for the goals, just looked like general bad defending from where I was sitting.

Subs are a problem. Yarmolenko and Lanzini are objectively worse at football than Bowen and Fornals, so just throwing them on because they aren’t as worn out as the players you’re taking off isn’t ever going to work.
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Wilko1304 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:19 pm Thoughts on today:

Bowen drifted out of the game a bit...
This, I think is the whole point of the debate about the squad and the need for reinforcements. The idea that the same group of 4 attackers can go the whole season, 90 minutes each time, with no dips in form either within games or between games is an absolute nonsense.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Wilko1304 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:21 pm For one thing though, I refuse to believe there is a more fun side than us. We just play good football and seem comfortable leaving space for others to play in too.
See what you're saying but id rather be a tad more boring and try to find the odd clean sheet.
Wilko1304

Post by Wilko1304 »

wildkard wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:35 pm Subs are a problem. Yarmolenko and Lanzini are objectively worse at football than Bowen and Fornals, so just throwing them on because they aren’t as worn out as the players you’re taking off isn’t ever going to work.
I'd have had Lanzini for Bowen much earlier. Bowen had no impact on the game second half and Palace had us struggling in midfield. No one in our squad is better moving the ball around under pressure in the middle. That grip on possession could have turned that game.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

prophet:marginal wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:02 pm That 2nd Gallagher goal was

(a) real quality, and
(b) reminiscent of the goal Greenwood scored on our patch last season.
Tough game today. We had chances but I wouldn’t say we worked the palace keeper that much.
I though Conor Gallagher was outstanding. Not only did he score but he was brave, pressed high and stopped us from breaking the lines. Got a great future ahead of him
NedN
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 586 likes

Post by NedN »

Tbf, this game showed exactly why we need reinforcements up front. It’s all well and good that technically Bowen can fill in as striker, but if we have him and Antonio starting then we have no one who can come one to replace a tiring Mic, or play next to him to change the game. Getting another forward or striker in isn’t just about having someone to start week in week out, it’s also about having options to keep pressure on or go up a gear at 70 min
feering99
Has liked: 15 likes

Post by feering99 »

UTJ, S-H, Peaches

No story really, I fell out of love with football for a long time. Today was payback by an old school friend I met a couple of years ago after many many years. Back in the day I had talked his mother into letting us go to the Boleyn when we were 13 year olds. Having lurked on here for a few years and opportunity to see a decent West Ham side made the decision easy when the phone rang earlier this week.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Us not winning this might well be a good thing long run.

A lot of players who played well vs Leicester were off their best today. It's easy to get carried away after a big win vs a good side but football is a funny game. You cant win every match.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Garry wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:20 pm The only thing is spurs will be top of the league over the the break they have watford they will be winning the league now
Of all the teams capable of improving, with a change of coach, Spurs are, for me, the most likely. Mourinho was like poison to that club, so anyone even half-decent is going to get a tune out of the players at his disposal, there.

Everton, too, look like their players all quietly approved of the fact that Benitez was being recruited.

Leicester, on the other hand, might have peaked.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

I thought Palace had Rice's number today. They pressed him aggressively. He looked a bit leggy and clumsy under pressure today, probably a game too far with the lack of pre season.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

The fact that Moyes doesn't bring on Yarmo until the final 5mins while drawing 2-2 with Palace at home tells you everything you need to know about Moyes' thoughts on Yarmo.

I seriously hope we bring in 2 forward players before the end of this window. Our bench was embarrassing in terms of attacking options.