Jesse Lingard

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Re: Jesse Lingard

Post by Ironing Board »

upton o'good wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:51 pm Agree on both, and raise you Villa were flush with cash from the Grealish £100m so paid over the odds
Yeah, another good point. I think Woodward is jealous of the woman at Chelsea. Unfortunately for him, Marina is actually good at her job, while his forte is securing cornflake sponsorships!
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by Het-Field »

On Lingard, perhaps I was a little naive in expecting him to show up on our doorstep looking for a move. I'm not sure what it was, but I expected him to join early in the window. When that didnt happen, it would become one of the protracted sagas of the window. In reality, I should have been realistic after OGS indicated that he was in his plans for the new season. That was a game changer as it said to him he could go home and achieve. In truth,

Do I regret that he hasn't joined us? Absolutely. I loved how he formed part of one of our most likeable teams in recent years, and a very prominent part at that. Almost that type of Payet-esque electricity that would have you pay the entrance fee to watch him. You weren't beaten when he was on the pitch, or certainly you didnt go down without the faintest possibility of salvage. If he could have replicated that during this term, and in light of our other dealings, replicating last year would have been a distinct possibility. He discharged his duty to us with utmost professionalism, and with a smile on his face, and not all the badge kissing and crossed Hammer gestures could amount to the manner in which he performed for the club we support. So many loan deals are just for players building reputations, or enhancing transfer values, and more often than not, all they are is marking time for a player before he packs his case again for another loan. Often times those deals leave no tangible legacy. The ones that do, well, those are the Lingard deals.

From his perspective I think I get it. His excellent form last term ensured him two things, one a second chance at Manchester United, and two, interest from WHU fans who would like to sign him, and probably interest from the club too. However, by qualifying for another chance at MU, it afforded Lingard a greater scope of options, as opposed to looking down the PL for alternatives, if he felt the London stadium wasnt for him. I can understand as Man United have improved recently, and are spending to compete. He may have seen this as his big chance, and to transpose last season's form into the Red side of Manchester, would ensure a key place for him, and perhaps winners medals and other prizes. Also, Manchester United are his footballing DNA. We happened to be a club willing to sign him, at a point when he was at a low ebb professionally. Perhaps we should have offered permanency, a long term deal, and a wedge of money in January. Perhaps that might have convinced him his best interests lay in London. Instead, his spell at WHU was a roaring success with goals and assists, and a return to the England squad. Naturally, this complicated the chances of a deal, and as it turned out probably was the death knell of the deal with us.

Long story short, I can understand the deal not coming to pass. Lingard has a chance to rejuvenate his club career at Manchester United, maintain his place in the England squad, and challenge for top honours. However, that chance came as a product of the excellent performances he put in, while wearing the claret and blue. That doesnt mean for a second that he owes us permanency. Not at all. In return for our trust and faith, he returned excellent performances, and was partially responsible for our highest finish in 22 years. He left us in a better place than when he came to us. And that is all we could ask of him. I suppose I might be less charitable in my views if Man United let him leave, and instead of dealing with us he had his head turned by Arsenal or Spurs, when its historical reasons rather than contemporary ones which might interest him. But playing off Cavani or Ronaldo will whet his appetite, and I do hope it goes well for him. Just hopefully not when he returns to play his old pals at WH!
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1170 likes
Total likes: 680 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

S-H wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:33 pm It's got a free transfer to Everton, written all over it.

Win-win for the player, if he wishes to stay close to his family longer term.
Agree. Perfect outcome for both. He will have missed the good ship Hammer so he can watch from the quayside.
Thanks for the memories. Keep it up Benni.
👍
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

There wasn't a half season chunk in his whole career as good as the one he had with us, not even a three month period where he was that good. I find it rather baffling that he isn't back here, he's 100% wasting half a season of his prime years watching Man Utd play.
3Dicks
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by 3Dicks »

The spell with us seemed to have been the best spell in his whole career, before he joined us I was sure he was pretty average and he did tail off towards the end of the season to a more ‘normal’ level.

I know all sounds a bit like a bitter break up but I can’t see him hitting them highs again - certainly not from Man Utd’s bench if he even gets on their bench that is.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 861 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

Even when he is available on a free next year, I’d be reticent to spend significant wages on him. He’ll be another year older and moving towards the latter stages of his career.

Like a holiday romance, it was great while it lasted, but ultimately it was never going to be a long term thing. We are left with happy memories and have moved onto Vlasic, who is likely to make an excellent long term partner. Nevertheless, it’ll never diminish the memories and he will remain as a short term but excellent chapter in the West Ham annals.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

S-H wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:33 pm It's got a free transfer to Everton, written all over it.

Win-win for the player, if he wishes to stay close to his family longer term.
Leeds would be a good destination for him. Or even Villa - he's used to the claret and blue shirts already, after all.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 364 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

D C wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:33 pm He did great fo us but I still reckon it was more of a purple patch to be honest. Wouldn’t really fancy signing him on a free next summer at 30 years old on big wages, we’d be stuck with him if he went downhill.
Kind of how I feel too.

I think it was now or never if we were to sign him, and I would have liked to have him back as he is quality. But given his outside football issues were family related I'd have been surprised if he uprooted and came south permanently.

He was excellent in the main for us and exceeded expectations, mine for sure. His fitness levels were great too given his lack of game time, but that level of performance is unsustainable over a season and he had the occasional off game for us in that time too.

I will always look back on his brief spell with us fondly now, given I'd previously considered him a bit of a knob
OohAahButler
Has liked: 570 likes
Total likes: 294 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

I'm still amazed that he didn't come back here - was convinced that he would rock up last minute.

I'd love to know the real story: Was it Man U being greedy with the transfer fee? Was it Lingard being determined to fight for his place? Was it Moyes not actually being that bothered.

I now doubt very much that we'll sign him either in January or at the end of the season. We've moved on and our needs will be different at that point. Also, by that point it will all have the feel of a 'you can't turn the clock back' situation, rather than a continuation of where we left off last season.

Hope he gets a very warm welcome next time he comes to LS (probably to sit on the bench). He gave us his best.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I'd be open for him returning in January, the squad is better with him in it and he fits perfectly into our style of play, he's proven that, I just think he's risking the momentum he gained from last season and everyone involved here has lost out, he won't do as well at any other club, no way, nobody else plays like us on the counter, it's electrifying.
Pob!
Has liked: 1079 likes
Total likes: 702 likes

Post by Pob! »

Alan Pardew's Dad wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:11 pm Even when he is available on a free next year, I’d be reticent to spend significant wages on him. He’ll be another year older and moving towards the latter stages of his career.

Like a holiday romance, it was great while it lasted, but ultimately it was never going to be a long term thing. We are left with happy memories and have moved onto Vlasic, who is likely to make an excellent long term partner. Nevertheless, it’ll never diminish the memories and he will remain as a short term but excellent chapter in the West Ham annals.
Spot on! I really don't get all the dewy eyed sentiment over Lingard..
He rocked up here with something to prove and had some good games where he did contribute towards our success last season. However his form for Manchester United was nothing like it was for 10 weeks with us. Manchester United wanted £30m for him with only 10 months left on his contract.
They tried to have us over a barrel and we walked away! Good! Thanks for the memory it's over now we move on.
With a far better footballer IMO ..
Hermit_Road
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by Hermit_Road »

"Spot on! I really don't get all the dewy eyed sentiment over Lingard..
He rocked up here with something to prove and had some good games where he did contribute towards our success last season. However his form for Manchester United was nothing like it was for 10 weeks with us. Manchester United wanted £30m for him with only 10 months left on his contract.
They tried to have us over a barrel and we walked away! Good! Thanks for the memory it's over now we move on.
With a far better footballer IMO .."

Agree 110% with above post (Don't know how to get the white box quote thing) and taken the words from my mouth apart from, "And I'm now glad the Lingard Lovin is over. Too many spent too much time over wishing he'd return (Maybe Moyes too) but thank Jesse and good luck.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Clearly, maximising his chances of staying in Southgates squad for next years WC wasnt a big enough factor to try to force a move away. I cant see how he will remain in it if hes not getting a regular game with us or MU.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 223 likes

Post by k-r-c »

If Lingard really wanted to move he could have forced one - so fact hes still there tells me that hes going to happy collecting his wage getting splinters.

Again he may be thinking well lets see out this last year with Man Utd then i can walk on a free get a nice big payday from someone - but once again at a play pushing 30 and a World cup coming to me doesn't seem like a great idea unless your motivation is money.

He could have come back if he really wanted, he could have made noises and that Man Utd were pricing him out of a move.

Good luck to him, we got a great half a season out of him and i was alwayd concerned if he will continue to reach those heights with us this year - the signing of Vlasic makes much more sense but only if he delivers.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:20 pm Clearly, maximising his chances of staying in Southgates squad for next years WC wasnt a big enough factor to try to force a move away. I cant see how he will remain in it if hes not getting a regular game with us or MU.
I don't see how he can be picked now if he's not playing. He didn't make the Euros when he was in red hot form so outside of that squad there are players like Bowen, who are actually playing and playing key roles in their clubs success on the pitch, to look at. It's a shame because I liked Lingard and that all that he brought to the team and club, he helped get people talking about us and he seemed to be extremely popular with his teammates, I just wanted to see the buzz around him in front of 60k in the London Stadium but one can only imagine now.
SullySpecial
Has liked: 263 likes
Total likes: 648 likes

Post by SullySpecial »

Lingard ship has sailed. Time to move on. MUFC were never going to sell him to us on the cheap, and if/when he is out of contract we’ll never be able to afford his wage demands.
Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

This is the English version of mbappe but without the money :crylol:
yakandyeti
Has liked: 437 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by yakandyeti »

I can still see him coming back in Jan or next summer but I'm not sure if it's even 50:50. We shouldn't be giving him an 100k contract but we've only really got 4 for the 3 places behind the striker or 5 for the 4 attacking spots, he might not start every week, but he will improve that part of the squad massively and give an option. I can even see a chance that if he comes back he ends up captain if Rice goes, can't see anyone obvious who will start most weeks and he's a big personality who is incredibly professional.
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1582 likes
Total likes: 279 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

To be honest I hoped we won't do this deal; Jesse was like a supernova star in few first games for us, but in few last ones he was quite flat as I remember, so it was a bit risky deal I think, because we did not know which Jesse we are going to buy, from the beginning or from the end of his WHU episode. And I worried that if he comes he will take Said's place in first 11, and it's crucial moment for Said to progress and get more confidence. And Jesse is, hm, you know, quite old :nonpl:
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

He will be 29 in December and 30 by the time the World Cup comes around.
Can't see him getting a lot of football at Man Utd at all this season and think he will struggle to get another cap for England too.

He'd have had his work cut out at WHU this season with Bowen, Benrahma and Fornals all coming on, plus Vlasic coming in.

Thanks Jessie, it was great while it lasted and you certainly changed my opinion of you for a brief moment.