Southampton 0-0 West Ham Utd (11/09/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Re: ⚽ Southampton v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Morocco Mole »

Thought during the second half that we could afford to bin Soucek, drop Fornals deeper and bring on Vlasic and have a right go. Appreciate that’s quite rogue and will probably never happen. :)
VeniceHammer
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 146 likes

Post by VeniceHammer »

If you have some spare time take a look at salernitana tomorrow. If we were looking for scraps, simy went for 3M£. Better than the nothing we have now.
Marquis
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Marquis »

Gale Force wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:18 pm Perfectly summed up Bubbles, couldn't have put it better myself.
I was at the game, sat in with the Saints fans. They were convinced we'd win and were very complimentry of both Rice and Antonio.
I was sat in the home end as well - they was a right pessimistic bunch behind me about their own team but had a high opinion of most of our players. They even seemed worried about yarmolenko when he initially came on but I think they realised after a few minutes they needn’t have been
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

So far this season compared to last

Newcastle A - Loss turned into a win
Leicester H - Win turned into a bigger win
Crystal Palace H - Draw matched
Southampton A - Draw matched

So far so good, unbeaten, first clean sheet of the season and new players settling in.

I'm excited for a great season ahead.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

Soucek, Coufal, Rice, Fornals and to a lesser degree Antonio, and Benrahma looked like players who were weary from international duty and the travelling. We dominated without penetrating for 75 minutes against a low block where Southampton had 10 and at times 11 men behind the ball and then ran out of steam. Benrahma had a poor match and Dawson had one brain fart and Antonio a bigger one, but on the whole weren’t too bad. The one real positive was Vlasic looked very sharp when he came on. I think the international breaks are not good for us because there was only one real day after 5 of our players got back from international duty, at least there will be an extra day after Europa league matches.
GPW
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by GPW »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:07 pm Thought during the second half that we could afford to bin Soucek, drop Fornals deeper and bring on Vlasic and have a right go. Appreciate that’s quite rogue and will probably never happen. :)
Wouldn’t have binned Soudek but we should have adapted second half. They say deep and basically let Rice and Soucek have the ball. That’s not what a they are best at so lead to so much sideways passing. We needed someone in the middle that could pass the ball forward or move forward with it. I’d have brought Lazini on and taken Antonio off as he was going nowhere today. No idea why Bowen got hooked (other than predictability) as he was quite threatening.

We will have to find a way of breaking down teams who sit deep and don’t mind our midfield having the ball.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

GPW wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:51 pm Wouldn’t have binned Soudek but we should have adapted second half. They say deep and basically let Rice and Soucek have the ball. That’s not what a they are best at so lead to so much sideways passing. We needed someone in the middle that could pass the ball forward or move forward with it. I’d have brought Lazini on and taken Antonio off as he was going nowhere today. No idea why Bowen got hooked (other than predictability) as he was quite threatening.

We will have to find a way of breaking down teams who sit deep and don’t mind our midfield having the ball.
That's sort of the way I saw it too. Saints had obviously worked out an approach, part of which was to use more muscle now it's allowed - especially with a weak and inconsistent referee. They also were prepared to sit off and allow our back 6 to pass the ball about getting nowhere, somewhat like Leicester against us a few weeks back.

The lack of movement and penetration was painful, and Antonio, bless him, didn't manage to hold a ball once (although he was being manhandled all the time he really shouldn't have allowed himself to get wound up and drawn in to little battles).

Most obviously, there was a Lingard-shaped hole which neither Benny nor Fornals could fill. How we could have done with his attacking movement today. What we were missing was sharply shown up when Vlasic came on - he was excellent for a first outing.

Anyway, still unbeaten after 4 :hamm:
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Love Soucek to bits but he’s very limited on the ball. In games like today where they let us have posession we might need an alternative.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Albie Beck wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:02 am).
Most obviously, there was a Lingard-shaped hole which neither Benny nor Fornals could fill. How we could have done with his attacking movement today. What we were missing was sharply shown up when Vlasic came on - he was excellent for a first outing.
Not sure about that. Lingard is a counter attack player. They let us have the ball. Don’t think he’d have made any difference personally.
CanberraHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by CanberraHammer »

That was a pretty frustrating game to watch. Not to underestimate the importance of a clean sheet and a point away from home though.
Our play in the final third was pretty abject, when we looked like getting into a decent position we were either let down by a stray pass or just poor decision making. A sloppy performance.
I’d expect us to raise our level for Man U next Sunday, perhaps resting a couple from Soucek, Benrahma, Fornals & Antonio midweek as they in particular weren’t at their usual standard.
I thought Vlasic looked impressive in his short cameo, when he gels with the rest of our forward players I think we’re going to see a serious talent.
Hammanila

Post by Hammanila »

Happy with an away point. Not sure what was going through Antonio's head for the 2nd yellow: 95th minute, ball near their penalty area, already on a booking. It will be interesting to see how he is replaced in the line up next week. A very good start to the season though, bring on Thursday.
Albie Beck

Post by Albie Beck »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:57 am Lingard is a counter attack player. They let us have the ball. Don’t think he’d have made any difference personally.
Lingard is a bit more than just "counter-attacking" - he has more quality on the ball than we generally showed yesterday, and can carry it forward at pace, which we somehow lacked. Vaslic provided a bit of that in his 10-minute cameo, that's what the difference could have been.
Albie Beck

Post by Albie Beck »

CanberraHammer wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:08 am perhaps resting a couple from Soucek, Benrahma, Fornals & Antonio midweek as they in particular weren’t at their usual standard
There's prob a case for the others, but no point resting Antonio for midweek - he's suspended next Sunday.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Southampton's fullbacks are an interesting bunch.

Livramento has looked very good in his previous games this season although looked very green yesterday, but Perraud looked like he had something about him. And Walker-Peters is handy. They've got a crop of very average central defenders to play alongside them though.
Scratchy
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Scratchy »

Whu stepney wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:21 pm mark my words we will see a completely different west ham next week .
Why? They'll be just as jaded from Thursday's Europa League game.
docarnie
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by docarnie »

dean_whu wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:18 pm I would like to know too. Tune is Beautiful South - Rotterdam (or anywhere)

Anyone?
Anybody know the answer? A poor day for the team but the support sounded great!
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Albie Beck wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:02 am
First 9 games Lingard or last 6 games Lingard?
Yes peak Lingard would have added something. Lesser Lingard wouldn't.

Peak Fornals, Antonio, Benrahma would have added more. Lesser didn't.

Players have off games. Southampton prepared for that game for 2 weeks. 6 members of out team had 1 day.
Ethanadict
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 250 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

I feel a bit flat after yesterday’s result, but have to remember it wasn’t that long ago that these were exactly the sort of matches we would have lost. Every now and then there’s a tired, leggy performance and this was one of them. A point away from home and a clean sheet, we move on.

It will be interesting to see how we cope and adapt now. Antonio suspended, European games on Thursdays (great!), and two tough fixtures coming v Man U at home and Leeds away. We can’t afford to be anything other than 100% at it in either of those two matches.

Bring it on, COYI! :hamm:
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

I was amazed at how many empty seats there yesterday,very poor support.
The match,not our best and could have let a very negative Southampton nick it late on .
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Ethanadict wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:57 am I feel a bit flat after yesterday’s result, but have to remember it wasn’t that long ago that these were exactly the sort of matches we would have lost.
I think we shouldn’t pretend that’s the case - we always do fine against Saints even in seasons when we’re pony.

But if we can get three points in the next two league fixtures against Leeds and Manchester United it’ll look like a decent placeholder-type result that kept us ticking over.

Less that that and we’ll be looking back at 4 games in the league without a win, three of them very winnable, and we’ll have to admit things aren’t quite going as hoped.