EL: GNK Dinamo Zagreb 0-2 West Ham Utd (16/09/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Re: ⚽ GNK Dinamo Zagreb v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by the pink palermo »

4 bits of magic from Antonio tonight were worth the cost and grief of the trip.

2 first time one touch passes around the corner that put another player in acres of space, a sublime dummy and of course a cool finish.

If i had seen nothing else tonight i would have been happy with that, but to see Rice score a brilliant goal to boot was the cherry on the Bakewell.

Fair play to the Zagreb supporters who sang almost all night because thet saw their team schooled for around 70 of the 90 minutes.

Excellent from us tonight, supporters were in good heart , as well we should be. This is the best team we have had in a long time.

Safe travels to all heading home tonight and over the next few days.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

simonpaulthomas wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:32 pm I’m guessing something to do with betting sponsors being banned in this competition?
I had no idea they were banned.
NedN
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 586 likes

Post by NedN »

All in all, we didn’t play particularly well, but in general we were never troubled and won comfortably 2-0. We will need to still find ways to break down teams that don’t let us counter as much as we’d like.

We were only the second team in their last 12 European games to beat them in Zagreb - a great night and look forward to more
Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

NedN wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:25 am All in all, we didn’t play particularly well, but in general we were never troubled and won comfortably 2-0. We will need to still find ways to break down teams that don’t let us counter as much as we’d like.

We were only the second team in their last 12 European games to beat them in Zagreb - a great night and look forward to more
:?

All in all I thought we played exceptionally well. We were outstanding from start to finish.
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

In the Moyes presser a Croatian journo told him that Vlasic plays a false 9 for Croatia. David seemed surprised and pleased to hear the news. Would be great if we inadvertently stumbled on another backup option for Mic.
CanberraHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by CanberraHammer »

Thoroughly professional performance. Says a lot about the level of this team that we didn't really need to get out of 2nd/3rd gear to take all 3 points. Tremendous start to the campaign both domestically and in Europe. Still feels as though we have a few levels to move up, some of the attacking play feels quite sloppy compared to us at our scintillating best last season. No complaints at all though, looks as though the feel good atmosphere has transitioned into this season.
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

brothernero wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:01 am :?

All in all I thought we played exceptionally well. We were outstanding from start to finish.
Do your glasses have a rosy tint? It was a great result but apart from a few highlights it was not a great performance. So pedestrian out of defense, we counted 17 passes across the park at one point where the ball crossed the halfway three times before coming straight back. Zouma to his credit tried to get the ball moving quickly, like he is used to, only to find it coming back to him. I think Moyes dictated that we must not concede so we were very deiberate about possession. The job got done and very professional, a great learning experience but we will have to up the pace a bit to break down better teams.
Hammanila

Post by Hammanila »

Wow, what a result. Love the kit, love hearing the chant for Moyes. Hope all who were there had an incredible time.

Areola not playing seemed a bit odd. Also, any insight into why one of their players (no.5 I think) started a bit of a scuffle during Rice's celebration? Only going on highlights but it looked like he was "in front" (with a huge gap between pitch and stand) of their fans.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

James P wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:49 pm What a complete performance. Absolutely fantastic from front to back. Went away to a team with European pedigree and dominated from start to finish.

What a time to be a West Ham fan.
:thup:
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Hamburger wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:14 am Do your glasses have a rosy tint? It was a great result but apart from a few highlights it was not a great performance. So pedestrian out of defense, we counted 17 passes across the park at one point where the ball crossed the halfway three times before coming straight back. Zouma to his credit tried to get the ball moving quickly, like he is used to, only to find it coming back to him. I think Moyes dictated that we must not concede so we were very deiberate about possession. The job got done and very professional, a great learning experience but we will have to up the pace a bit to break down better teams.
You must be on a wind up, surely?

I hope you are, anyway, otherwise this a contender for worst post of the year.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 2952 likes
Total likes: 2607 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Hamburger wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:14 am Do your glasses have a rosy tint? It was a great result but apart from a few highlights it was not a great performance. So pedestrian out of defense, we counted 17 passes across the park at one point where the ball crossed the halfway three times before coming straight back. Zouma to his credit tried to get the ball moving quickly, like he is used to, only to find it coming back to him. I think Moyes dictated that we must not concede so we were very deiberate about possession. The job got done and very professional, a great learning experience but we will have to up the pace a bit to break down better teams.
Really difficult away trip, but our balance was great right from the start, we might/should have created a bit more, but that's the only negative from a game in which we showed real purpose and desire, a splendid super matured display, from a team that is here to stay.
Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Upton Carp »

Looking at the subs bench, there's a pretty decent team sitting it out! Anyone know why we took two substitute 'keepers?
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

We're massive. :crest:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

LeonRivers wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:54 pm That was a wonderful example of why we shouldn't be selling Lanzini and Fredericks. Perfectly capable performers at the higher level. Great players to have in the squad, and I don't imagine their wages are especially burdenous. I thought Fredericks did very well tonight.
Wish for him that shot had gone in.

The save was fantastic, but, if Fred had scored at that point, we would have routed them, I reckon.

Make you right that Manu and this guy looked capable and played without any nerves or rustiness.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Le Rascal de Boleyn wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:34 pm Sorry guys. Only just now been able to catch up on posts.

Was Coufal’s omission due to injury or tactical?
Sharpening his studs for Cristiano
rouchie
Has liked: 8 likes

Post by rouchie »

Did I see a "Congratrulations, you have just met" At the top of the home fans end and a big "Bad Blue Boys" banner at the bottom?
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

CanberraHammer wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:51 am Thoroughly professional performance. Says a lot about the level of this team that we didn't really need to get out of 2nd/3rd gear to take all 3 points. Tremendous start to the campaign both domestically and in Europe. Still feels as though we have a few levels to move up, some of the attacking play feels quite sloppy compared to us at our scintillating best last season. No complaints at all though, looks as though the feel good atmosphere has transitioned into this season.
Absolutely 👍
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

I think you are seeking a perfection which rarely comes about. The key word above is professional. Why go for three or four when we could cruise in second gear at times and still look comfortable?

For someone who posted a lot in the transfer thread about our lack of numbers I’m surprised you are looking for a gut busting performance which will just burn out the players.

It isn’t the best I’ve seen us play, but it is the most professional and untroubled I’ve seen us in a long time. We looked like a serious side in Europe.