EL: GNK Dinamo Zagreb 0-2 West Ham Utd (16/09/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

DenziMart
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Re: ⚽ GNK Dinamo Zagreb v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by DenziMart »

To those saying it wasn't a great performance, I felt it was one of the most professional performances I've ever seen from a West Ham team. Controlled the game from the start and always felt we could step up another level if needed. With a big game on Sunday I felt we dominated Zagreb and used the ball well to conserve energy. If we really went for it I think we could have won by loads, but there was simply no need.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

larryberyl wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:47 am good work by moyes to get him off
Seems a bit much. I think a monetary bonus is more usual these days.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I still can’t decide whether Dinamo Zagreb were nowhere near as good as I expected them to be or whether we just simply are ‘that’ good now! :shock:
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

I thought that was one of the most professional performances I have ever seen from a West Ham team. We played in a way that seems we had been in Europe every season for last 30 years. We controlled long parts of the game, moved the ball and let them chase us. They had few chances. The sort of chances that many people say when a promoted team comes up to the premier league. That's the difference between the championship and premier league. They had a few but failed to put them away.

Our two goals came from a press from midfield and we pounced and put the chances away. We controlled the midfield for long periods.

I wouldn't say it was a poor game of football. Thinking back to when our only game plan was to lob it up to the big front man and try to get the midfield up to win the second ball. None of that last night. I enjoyed every single minute of that game last night and long may it continue.

I felt even prouder as a hammer last night and this morning after that game. Moyes and his back room staff have brought this team of players a long long way.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

That reaction from Moyes when he realised his name was being sung was genuinely sweet. You don't hear that word used much in the context of football but it was. He deserved a moment like that.
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

The key word many have used is professional....didn't need to be blingy and exciting, we kept them contained scored two goals and look pretty comfortable throughout. I may have expected a little more from Zagreb, but as pointed out to me was their performance, like Leicester's, down to our ability to keep them restrained.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Imagine waiting all those years to see West Ham in official European Competition, getting drawn away to the number one seeded team in the group in the first game (a team who won the domestic double last season and saw off both Arsenal and Spurs on the same pitch recently), going there and winning comfortably without conceding or even letting the other side have a single shot on target and totally controlling the game from start to finish... but not thinking it was a great performance.

Wow. Some people need a reality and levels check.

It was a great performance. You don't have to win 9-0 and rip teams a new hole to be great. A comfortable 2-0 win with minimum exertion, keeping the ball well and completely shutting the home side out is about as good as it gets some times. Considering we have never played at this level before, we took to it as though we were just meant to be there. We didn't give them any time on the ball and we scared the life out of them when we did go at them. it was a great performance.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

funky chicken wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:31 am I still can’t decide whether Dinamo Zagreb were nowhere near as good as I expected them to be or whether we just simply are ‘that’ good now! :shock:
We worked so hard and were just a step ahead of them in all areas. Rice played like he had seen that game before and knew what each of them were going to do before they did it. We were quicker, stronger and sharper. They didn't get a look in.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The Croatian Crystal Palace.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Headline from the BBC summary

"Live : Europa League & Conference League reaction - West Ham only British team to win"

Nice :scarfer:
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

It didn't get stress-tested too much but the serenity of the Zouma/Diop pairing has got to be a positive development if you've noticed Ogbonna quietly starting to get roasted for pace more regularly this season. He's still playing perfectly well in a positional sense, but the body might just be on the verge of creating a fatal weakness. Some of those foot-races he's been caught up in have been dangerous precisely because they've emerged from not very much at all from the opposition.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Paddy O'Hammer wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:49 pm Some highlights

https://youtu.be/C1hnPjA46Ag

Cheers , Paddy and thanks to I Am Legend who pmd me the highlights last night .

Thought I was watching last season's Southampton game when Declan scored our second . :grin:

Another thing I read - West Ham United were the only British side to win in Europe last night . :grin:
Scratchy
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Scratchy »

Aceface wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:15 am It didn't get stress-tested too much but the serenity of the Zouma/Diop pairing has got to be a positive development if you've noticed Ogbonna quietly starting to get roasted for pace more regularly this season. He's still playing perfectly well in a positional sense, but the body might just be on the verge of creating a fatal weakness. Some of those foot-races he's been caught up in have been dangerous precisely because they've emerged from not very much at all from the opposition.
Oggy seems to have lost a bit of pace and looked vulnerable against Southampton. As solid as he was last year, I wouldn't be surprised if we end the season with Zouma and Diop as our undisputed first choice pairing.
Paulo_Alex
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Paulo_Alex »

No doubt it's been mentioned, but thought both the commentators and pundits on BT were really complimentary about us last night - made a nice change!

Carlton really does love the club :heart:
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:04 am The Croatian Crystal Palace.
Certainly the Croatian Selhurt Park. I bet the ground was just as bad in the flesh as it looked on TV!
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

How can any rational West Ham fan have anything negative to say about that performance last night?

The way we absolutely bossed the game you would have thought we were the former Champions League side, not them.

We absolutely controlled the game from start to finish. Rice was imperious and it was probably Lanzini's best game for a while.

I like the thinking using Diop and Zouma, that's our future defensive partnership there and I hope Diop is smart enough to realise the opportunity he has in front of him.

Special shout out to Fredericks who was a real outlet down the right. Another valuable squad member this season.

Well done West Ham. :crest:
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

I think that can be described as a classic away performance in europe. As someone who goes back a long way I don't think we have ever played better than that away from home in european competition. And that includes our cup winners cup exploits in the 60's and 70's. Long may it continue.
I'm not expecting much from OT on Sunday, but I'm not fussed. This was the one I wanted to win. I genuinely think we can win the europa league. ⚒
hammerofthedogs
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by hammerofthedogs »

Can't wait for the OV, it should be a corker....
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1192 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Aceface wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:33 am That reaction from Moyes when he realised his name was being sung was genuinely sweet. You don't hear that word used much in the context of football but it was. He deserved a moment like that.
I’ve watched it umpteen times. Great moment and very well deserved!