Leeds Utd 1-2 West Ham Utd (25/09/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

pigiron

Re: ⚽ Leeds Utd vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by pigiron »

Great entertaining game. Leeds will play worse games and win. After a bright start we were a bit disjointed in the first half and still managed plenty of chances. Well played West Ham. Note to Benrahma, see Vlasic when facing your own goal.
Aceface
Has liked: 375 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Somehow missed the fact a huge chunk of Leeds support believe Antonio should have seen a straight red for the incident that ruled out Soucek’s goal.

Would never have even crossed my mind anyone would think that was a sending off offence.
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

YorksHammer wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:44 pm Oh, I agree 100%, was just watching it with half an eye as I assumed it was going to be comfortably dealt with and the moment Soucek lost it I thought 'where's Zouma?'.
Being upfield explains why Zouma wasn’t there to start with. I’m not sure it explains how he still wasn’t even in shot after the move slowed down a touch and went through two or three passes. I’d have to watch it again but my memory of it was someone else starting from a similar position managed to get themselves in the vicinity of the action.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4275 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

There isn’t much more satisfying than seeing Leeds scramble to get the ball in injury time whenever it went out of play, after having made us do it for the whole 90 minutes with their cynical strategy to shorten the game.

Bet they wished they had ball boys now.

Dirty club, horrible fans, decent team but watching them run out of steam and visibly wilt after 70 minutes was quite funny.

Do they get plaudits again for being a fantastic side, even though their style of play was once again directly responsible for their loss?
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:36 am Do they get plaudits again for being a fantastic side, even though their style of play was once again directly responsible for their loss?
Really they lost because they had a greenhorn in defence due to three other injuries/suspensions in that area. Team fading or not, a more seasoned player was unlikely to get done all ends up for the winner in the way Shackleton was.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 627 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Aceface wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:50 am Somehow missed the fact a huge chunk of Leeds support believe Antonio should have seen a straight red for the incident that ruled out Soucek’s goal.

Would never have even crossed my mind anyone would think that was a sending off offence.
He's looking at the ball the whole time, and uses his arms to jump. Meslier decides to try and catch it instead of punching. Had he punched he'd have had his other arm to protect himself and would have got above Antonio. As it was they were jumping to the same level and some contact was inevitable.

Not even a foul in my view, one of those where the FK and the card is triggered by the outcome rather than the incident.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

On another day we are 2 up inside 15, it was looking too easy I think the players slacked off and let Leeds in to the game, but even then Fornals should have scored just before half time. 2nd half we completely bossed it. Zouma is by a mile our best defender since Rio.
neathiron
Has liked: 487 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by neathiron »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:36 am
horrible fans,
I picked that up watching the full game on Sky last night. They came across as quite aggressive. It was great to shut them up with both our goals and would have loved to have been in our away end when Antonio got the winner :scarfer:
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

carnage wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:34 am Zouma is by a mile our best defender since Rio.
Are you going off his performances since he arrived or his pedigree?

Personally I would say he’s been the ‘least good’ (as opposed to framing it as ‘worst’ because he’s mostly been v. good) of our 4 centre-backs since he arrived. Diop and Dawson have been flawless in their last few performances. The Lingard goal alone is more of a slip-up than anything they’ve done.
Warren Donald
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Warren Donald »

Anyone else who was at the game see Declan wave his arms as if to say ‘stop’ to us when we were signing ‘he’s just a **** Declan Rice’ to Phillips? I’m sure he did so…. Top, top day out - away fans in great voice, their fans have to be silent at the end of 90 minutes, a West Ham that doesn’t know when it is beaten (when do we ever say that?!?) and a last minute winner after coming from behind. If Carling did Away games…
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

Yeah, I must be missing something with Leeds style of play, it gets mentioned constantly, and is praised relentlessly.

All I see, is a team that over commits players going forward, and one that doesn't know how to defend going the other way.

Find the constant fawning over them, quite bizarre.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

Also.. that Firpo was comically bad, yesterday.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4275 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Aceface wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:01 am Really they lost because they had a greenhorn in defence due to three other injuries/suspensions in that area. Team fading or not, a more seasoned player was unlikely to get done all ends up for the winner in the way Shackleton was.
He did get done by Antonio, but it was clear to see Leeds had completely emptied their tank pretty much after our equaliser went in.

Whether we planned it or not to work out so perfectly, we basically rope-a-doped them. They had nothing at the end, it was like a fighter who couldn’t get his hands up to protect himself after having spent himself going for the knockout early on.
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 125 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

:kumbnew:
Warren Donald wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:59 am Anyone else who was at the game see Declan wave his arms as if to say ‘stop’ to us when we were signing ‘he’s just a **** Declan Rice’ to Phillips? I’m sure he did so…. Top, top day out - away fans in great voice, their fans have to be silent at the end of 90 minutes, a West Ham that doesn’t know when it is beaten (when do we ever say that?!?) and a last minute winner after coming from behind. If Carling did Away games…
I did, yeah, thanks for reminding me.
That was my gut instinct.
'NO!, you can't sing that, it's not not nice and it's not true, he's my mate'.

Shows how tuned in Dec is and how fair and caring a bloke he is. Real rollercoaster of a game, heated atmosphere. He is very visual. Shows his frustration or disgust when things don't quite come off. Gains strength and energy from somewhere deep ( see last minute surge) but shows honesty and compassion and awareness to everything going on too.
Paolopaul
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

Albie Beck wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:10 am He's looking at the ball the whole time, and uses his arms to jump. Meslier decides to try and catch it instead of punching. Had he punched he'd have had his other arm to protect himself and would have got above Antonio. As it was they were jumping to the same level and some contact was inevitable.

Not even a foul in my view, one of those where the FK and the card is triggered by the outcome rather than the incident.
Any of our fans claiming that wasn’t a foul is as ridiculous as Leeds fans saying it was a red. Antonio literally elbows Meslier in the face before the ball arrives, but it was an accident. Referee dealt with it perfectly.
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

While I can’t see them relegated, I think they have been sussed good and proper, and have a manager who will refuse to change his system.

Could be a very very long season for them.
carnage

Post by carnage »

It wasn’t a red as his elbow was straight and there was no unnatural movement to the keepers face.
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

carnage wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:34 am Zouma is by a mile our best defender since Rio.
Imo, his game management - positioning, decision making - is pretty horrendous. Needs an awful lot of work.
To fate he is responsible for Lingards goal, gave a way what most thought was a penalty to Ronaldo, was caught out of position for yesterday's goal.
I can see Dawson back in the team in his place by February.

I hope Moyes realised this was a problem before signing him and feels he can workmon it.
carnage

Post by carnage »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:20 am Imo, his game management - positioning, decision making - is pretty horrendous. Needs an awful lot of work.
To fate he is responsible for Lingards goal, gave a way what most thought was a penalty to Ronaldo, was caught out of position for yesterday's goal.

I hope Moyes realised this was a problem before signing him and feels he can workmon it.

You are trolling surely.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1170 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:20 am Imo, his game management - positioning, decision making - is pretty horrendous. Needs an awful lot of work.

Blimey, I would change your breakfast cereal. The day will get better!