Leeds Utd 1-2 West Ham Utd (25/09/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

kentishiron
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Re: ⚽ Leeds Utd vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by kentishiron »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:47 pm

but some seem to be forgetting about the tragic mistakes that Dawson was making on a game-by-game basis pretty much since the Arsenal 3-3 last season.

This. Dawson was a great stop gap, especially at that price, when he started at Southampton last season, up until Ogbonna’s injury I don’t think any of us could believe how good he had been.

Unfortunately, since Ogbonna did get injured, I feel we have had the Dawson we were all warned about and expecting when we signed him. 3rd choice, or for me 4th choice behind Diop should be his position in the squad, and I am absolutely fine with that, but whilst we have Ogbonna and Zouma fit he should not be starting any games outside of the cup etc.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

I’m REALLY excited about the opposition view this week.
Kakophonix
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Kakophonix »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:27 am That was Coufal wasn't it? I think Vlasic was the one that picked the ball up from Antonios header... he layed it off to Coufal who played a first time ball to Rice.
For sure ...it was the line Coufal - Rice - Antonio - how are you doin´ Shackelton? - Antonio - net
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 144 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

weymouth hammer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:27 pm Slightly off topic, i thought Paul nevin had left the club, i see hes still on the scene.
If you are not thinking of Alan Irvine retiring ( but still doing some part time work for the club), you may have seen that Nevin has rejoined the England set up as well as his current role.
Kakophonix
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Kakophonix »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:23 am If Dawson comes back in it will be for Ogbonna. Zouma is our number 1 centre half for the duration of his contract. He has been the better centre half in every game he's played. I'm more concerned that Ogbonna looks a yard slower again this year. That left side with Cresswell is huge weakness for us against quicker teams.
Imo teamwork was better with Dawson. The modest Dawson was an excellent worker for team. Zouma seems to be more egoistic in his way of playing. If it is true what you write about him being signed as the No.1, then that explains all. The first shows of stellar mannersim..but maybe I am wrong..
Additionaly Dawson is strong attacking set piece asset. We will see if Zouma can equal this.

Left side looks weaker and possibly it was...it seems Leeds was well prepared seen that line Fornals-Cresswell-Ogbonna might be more vulnerable than Bowen - Coufal - Zouma.
Honestly, big portion of Coufal´s success last season has been worked out by Bowen. He is not only a tireless bull dog in the attacking third...he does enormously big work by defending his right side. Coufal has an easy life with him on the pitch. Cresswell with Fornals suffers much more. If you combined it with fact, that Cresswell has worse defence positioning than Coufal and is also less Stiff than Coufal, then you understan why Leeds focused their attacks through our left side.

That is why I was writing here 15 minutes to go, when Leeds started to fade, and was still 1:1, that I would take off (tactical reasons) Coufal, who was not that busy, let Bowen playing right offensive wing back...and sent Yarmolenko in...To have the line Zouma - Bowen _ Yarmolenko on left side...to strenghten our offensive chance to score the winner.
But who cares...we have Rice and Antonio :crossed:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

EvilC wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:56 pm I’m REALLY excited about the opposition view this week.
Red card, cheated of a point x25
weymouth hammer
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by weymouth hammer »

Essexmaniac wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:12 pm If you are not thinking of Alan Irvine retiring ( but still doing some part time work for the club), you may have seen that Nevin has rejoined the England set up as well as his current role.
Cheers mate, great back up team , I see Antonio went to hospital after the game yesterday , the doctors verdict BEAST.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Dawson has been a great signing, he's regularly performed at the very top of his ability level but flipping heck, he's not a better player than Zouma.

Anyway, well done West Ham kept going to the end. We have superb resilience. I can't stand their big headed fans so that and hearing that Man Utd's penalty was still orbiting the planet made it a great journey home :hamm:
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

EvilC wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:56 pm I’m REALLY excited about the opposition view this week.
Was talking to a couple of their fans in the queue for cabs outside Leeds station before the game and they kept asking me about Cresswell and was he playing as they thought he was our best player, and how good they thought he was. Was quite surprising. :smiler:
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Cresswell is one of our key players for sure.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

carnage wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:45 pm Cresswell is one of our key players for sure.
I love Cress, just interesting to hear other fans’ perspective.

Said I’d take Bamford all day long.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

As we saw last week, teams really need to huff and puff to beat us now and I love it.

I think Leeds will be fine, they've got plenty in the tank to get over the line and from what's happened over the past 10-15 years I think that will be success this year.
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

29 points to safety :scarfer:
shifty
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by shifty »

wasserburg_hammer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:46 pm 29 points to safety :scarfer:
Good afternoon Mr Sullivan
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

wasserburg_hammer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:46 pm 29 points to safety :scarfer:
I think 32 points will be enough this year.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

A good result yesterday and a decent second half showing that got us over the line against a Leeds United team that by continually coming at you will always leave you a chance at their end, and that was their fatal error.
Kalvin Phillips as a DM ? Not for me. He too gets sucked in to the Bielsa attack, attack, attack philosophy, great to watch and were I neutral I would pop along to watch them, but their failure to shut up shop yesterday did for them.

In truth, despite us bossing much of the second half it was a little bit of a smash and grab. The home side dominated possession but we had more chances, although arguably they had better chances. Raphina I thought was the pick of their players, but we had two or three that had decent matches, Bowen, Antonio and Rice, and the industry and guile of those three were the difference.

Bowens "Billiards strike", where he deliberately played it off two defenders :smiler: to beat their keeper had a touch of good fortune but that's what happens when you run your socks off all game, you get the rub of the green.Our second though was a thing of beauty, the ball won deep in our half by Antonio, played forward to Rice who gave a Bonds style burst forward and played an inch perfect pass to the advancing Antonio, who took the ball and hooked it past the oncoming defender, skipped in behind him and ran through to coolly slot past their keeper. Truly, a great goal, and to do it in the 90th minute to break the hearts of the Leeds supporters was magnificent to watch.

Soucek will of course have nightmares about his error that led to their goal, and Zouma was properly schooled once or twice, beware, he has the turning circle of a battleship, but those were relatively minor issues in the end. The spirit and character of this current West Ham United team is such that it overcomes setbacks, a sure sign that the Manager and coaching staff are instilling a winning mentality in the players, backed by consistent selection, squad harmony and an understanding if you don't run you won't play.

Victory nearly always goes to the team that wants it more and that was true of yesterday, although we were helped by Marcello Bielsa's refusal to compromise on his beliefs, sometimes you just have to be a little bit Simeone. He wasn't and his team made the error.

Don Revie, Jack Charlton and Norman Hunters names adorn three sides of Elland Road they would have been mortified to see 8 players the wrong side of the ball with the game all square on 89 minutes. Our lads though were quick to spot and exploit the opportunity and less than 8 seconds after Leeds surrendered possession in our half, we had put the ball in their net.

Dirty Leeds ? Not anymore, and that's their problem.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

First off: Credit to Leeds. End to end stuff. Anyone who's enjoyed - and loved - the legacy of Malcolm Allison, Ron Greenwood and Johnny Lyall can see what they're doing.
Didn't see any hint that they were fielding a weakened team - Charlie Cresswell played a blinder. Last time I saw a teenage CB make a debut like that was our Stretch.
Raphinha is a proper Number 10, genius, caused us no end of grief.
MoTM for me was Meslier - kept them in the game.

Close match, could have gone either way. And as much as all teams tirelessly practice in-off-the-arse goals on the training ground, I continue to wonder if there was a hint of good luck about it. Regardless, it remains an interesting example of Newton's Third Law of Motion that NASA would have a hard time recreating in a laboratory setting.

In the end, I'm not sure it was Leeds' strategy or tactics that did them in. Far simpler in my eyes - they were absolutely knackered by about the 75th minute. I can imagine a decent argument that they were knackered because of their tactics - we'll save that for another thread - but ultimately they were out-done by a faster, stronger, and in-form Antonio.

Fine margins and all that. Nice to nick a win.

As for us, I don't see I can add much that hasn't been written already. Antonio doing what a forward is supposed to do for a last-minute winner was outstanding.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

the pink palermo wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:45 pm Dirty Leeds ? Not anymore, and that's their problem.

I don't totally agree with this statement PP because Phillips was being a right dirty c word all afternoon yesterday.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Great result and fantastic end-to-end stuff…we’ll done West Ham.

I do worry that it could have been different though. I think tiredness for them was an issue but the bigger one was Raphinia going off - who was giving our left side nightmares. Had Klich scored (as he should have done) I doubt we’d have come back to win.

Anyway, love the mental toughness to come out a different team after the break - suspect we’ll need to be a bit more consistent over two halves if we want to replicate or improve on last season’s results against teams better than Leeds.

As for Leeds, can’t see them getting relegated - think they’ll improve once a few of their injured players return.

We’ll done all those that travelled by the way - came through loud and clear on the coverage. :scarfer:
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

WHU Independent wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:44 pm I don't totally agree with this statement PP because Phillips was being a right dirty c word all afternoon yesterday.
I thought they continually came through the back of our front four - probably a tactic they adopted having seen Antonio struggle with the physical stuff against Southampton. We probably need to expect more of that and improve first touch at times. Suspect Antonio and Bowen have bruises over most of the back of their legs.