Leeds Utd 1-2 West Ham Utd (25/09/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Doc H Ball
Has liked: 937 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Re: ⚽ Leeds Utd vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Doc H Ball »

the pink palermo wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:45 pm
Don Revie, Jack Charlton and Norman Hunters names adorn three sides of Elland Road…
I was mooching around the stadium early on and studying the timeline on their main stand. Supposedly showed all the key moments over 102 years, but no reference to Clough. I felt like getting a marker pen and noting those mad 90 days.

All the lampposts, electric boxes, bus stops etc painted and with slogans on. The houses opposite with bunting and signs on. I don’t like the place one bit, but fair dos they have a great stadium and come out.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1330 likes
Total likes: 797 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

You don't like Leeds, Doc? I've always thought it's a fantastic city.
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

Korea Hammer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:00 pm You don't like Leeds, Doc? I've always thought it's a fantastic city.
Nah. Like to think I’m open minded, but I’ve never liked the place. Much prefer the other side of the Pennines.

Both my kids live there mind :lol:
Portland Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Portland Hammer »

My overriding feeling watching the game yesterday was a strange one. Even at one down. I think they call it 'belief'. I've heard other team's fans have it. But in 40+ years supporting this club I've never experienced it. I thought we would win. Last week I thought, even with 3 minutes left, that we'd get the draw. Its weird, but I like it.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Portland Hammer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:30 pm My overriding feeling watching the game yesterday was a strange one. Even at one down. I think they call it 'belief'. I've heard other team's fans have it. But in 40+ years supporting this club I've never experienced it. I thought we would win. Last week I thought, even with 3 minutes left, that we'd get the draw. Its weird, but I like it.
It's called self belief, All the top teams have it and it comes from the manager. Moyes said, some time ago he intended on installing this into the players. Paul Merson was asked by Sky Sports host, Geoff Stelling. "Do you think West Ham can improve up in last year's 6th place finish"? and his reply was, "Yes Geoff, I do". This team now go to grounds, not hoping just to nick it, but travel to grounds, taking the game to the hosts in the belief that they will win,"
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4403 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

In the end we just about deserved the win, but it wouldn't have been a great injustice if they had grabbed a point.

It was a frenetic, high octane encounter and we struggled with the pace and tenacity of their press at times in the first half , whilst they countered at pace on a couple of particularly notable occasions, including their goal.

For all that Benrahma fired in two very creditable long range efforts in the first ten, while the four man move between Bowen, Benrahma, Soucek and finally Antonio was slick football and Meslier was made a good save to deny us an early lead.

Fabianski made a very smart save at our end before we gave away a really poor goal. Soucek's touch was bad, but our shape was a mess as was our commitment to recover ground. The guy who won possession was taken to the corner flag, while the scorer Raphinha was on the edge of their penalty area when the ball was first turned over - all of our defenders goalside of him. By the time he tucked it away, only Ogbonna was. The commitment to recover wasn't anywhere near what it should have been.

Fornals should have levelled, but like Rice before him, seemed to slip and snatch at a shot when bearing down on their penalty area. Raphinha was still troubling us, and I thought we were lucky to get away without a card when Cresswell trod on his achilles at 39 minutes.

I thought the ref was right to disallow Soucek's equaliser that wasn't, whilst Klick (?) should have ended the game - it was a really poor miss. Great endeavour and character to overturn the score line in the last 30, and an exquisite counter attacking goal to cap it all.

Another game goes by where the result is at least as good as last year.

Moyes has created a level of consistency and certainty in the way we play that is pretty alien. We rarely surprise, results wise.

Some interesting comments can be found on other clubs' forums - my favourite being "West Ham are a superb watch these days if you take the rivalry out of it." (heard in N17)
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 872 likes
Total likes: 850 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Was a great game and I think we deserved the win, just about. Such is the mental strength of this team that even when we go a goal down, I have confidence we will get it back. I’ve not had that feeling since the boys of 85/86.

Antonio is a beast who is playing at the top of his game, absolutely brimming with confidence.
Aceface
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:50 pm Our commitment to recover ground. The guy who won possession was taken to the corner flag, while the scorer Raphinha was on the edge of their penalty area when the ball was first turned over - all of our defenders goalside of him. By the time he tucked it away, only Ogbonna was. The commitment to recover wasn't anywhere near what it should have been.
I mentioned this earlier but had to hold back a bit as it was only what I thought I saw and hadn’t watched a replay to confirm. One individual in particular looked out for a Sunday jog.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 575 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

The last two league games are what football is all about.

Heartbreak last week...delirium this week. That’s why we love it.
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

TommyHammer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:53 pm The last two league games are what football is all about.

Heartbreak last week...delirium this week. That’s why we love it.
Yes would could (should) have come out with two points. Yet we have three. ‘Funny old game’
Last edited by wolf359 on Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Aceface wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:49 pm I mentioned this earlier but had to hold back a bit as it was only what I thought I saw and hadn’t watched a replay to confirm. One individual in particular looked out for a Sunday jog.
Who was that?
DM
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by DM »

Aceface wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:49 pm I mentioned this earlier but had to hold back a bit as it was only what I thought I saw and hadn’t watched a replay to confirm. One individual in particular looked out for a Sunday jog.
If we're talking Zouma, he went AWOL a few times in that match!
Joffrey
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Joffrey »

One thing that was mentioned in the commentary was that we were “flat” against their back 4, our attacking players not dropping off for the ball nor making runs in behind. Difficult to tell on TV, did that come across for those that were there? Might explain why defensive players like Zouma were bringing the ball forward themselves if it was static ahead.
GreenIron
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by GreenIron »

the pink palermo wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:45 pm it was a little bit of a smash and grab.
A little bit of Fabianski in my life
A little bit of Coufal by my side
A little bit of Zouma is all I need
A little bit of Ogbonna is what I see
A little bit of Cresswell in the sun
A little bit of Noble all night long
A little bit of Soucek, here I am
A little bit of Antonio makes me your man

You know I’m already regretting this post for so many reasons.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:55 pm Who was that?
Actually I think I know now... You couldn't see it on the original camera angle but in the replay you can see that Zouma absolutely isn't busting a gut to get back. A casual jog if ever I saw one.
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:14 pm Actually I think I know now... You couldn't see it on the original camera angle but in the replay you can see that Zouma absolutely isn't busting a gut to get back. A casual jog if ever I saw one.
We didn't need a Zouma type CH. We needed a solid, British type player. Let's call it a slightly faster, more noble Dawson type.
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:23 pm
This poster is clearly on a wind up.
Turtlecharityracer

Doc H Ball wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:30 pm
Not at all.
Not a Zouma fan, never have been and I don't change my opinion because we bought him.
We don't need a CH who takes it upon himself to make 50byard breaks forward. We have enough talent going that way.
We would be a better served with a solid, no frills CH, imo.
DM
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by DM »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:23 pm We didn't need a Zouma type CH. We needed a solid, British type player. Let's call it a slightly faster, more noble Dawson type.
That's b*llocks! Zouma is a world class defender who just needs to get his positioning right instead of bombing forward and I'm sure Moyes will sort it out. What's British got to with it? :o
Turtlecharityracer

DM wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:33 pm That's b*llocks! Zouma is a world class defender who just needs to get his positioning right instead of bombing forward and I'm sure Moyes will sort it out. What's British got to with it? :o
World class. That's some statement.

I stated British type CH. No frills but defends for his life type.
I'd call Bilic a British type CH when he was with us.