EL: West Ham Utd 2-0 Rapid Wien (30/09/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Rapid Wien: match thread

Post by Vic_Watson »

Rich5ltr wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:59 pm That'll do nicely - p.s. What did Carlton Cole mean "We've won 4 of of 5"? We've only played 2 in Europe and he can't mean the Prem... ?
Man U in the cup as well.
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by ChzMff »

Functional performance but let's not lose sight of the fact we made 7 changes and were playing against seasoned European campaigners. The turnaround in not just the team but whole squad is absolutely incredible with some of the replacements fitting in seamlessly.

Should really have put the game to bed in the first half and should take comfort from them really struggling to defend set pieces for the reverse fixture.

I'll always be a big Noble fan but his presence in the team and style of play does really show you the size of the change in our approach. He's right to bow out this season.

I thought Ben Johnson generally did well. Often on the front foot and recovered well a number of times.
DM
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by DM »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:44 pm First time on.
Lurked but just joined.
You do know we can see your previous 64 trolling posts you dickhead?
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Much maligned Craig Dawson mom for me. Had the measure of their forwards. Yarmo abysmal
Hammer1966
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

Heading home on the train after the game. The trip to Stratford at full time was hard work.

Loved the atmosphere ahead of kick off and throughout the game despite the football not being the best. Johnson and Rice stood out for me.
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

Home. Not seen any highlights yet. Areola had zip to do and we made heavy work of the 2nd half. Couldnt see the penalty claim clearly and Benny finished what Bowen should have done a few minutes earlier.

Loved seeing the RV fans bouncing and giving it. 114 looked lively as ever. :lol:
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by stu1 »

DM wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:26 pm You do know we can see your previous 64 trolling posts you dickhead?
:crylol: :crylol: :crylol:
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

Ironing Board wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:07 pm Sign of a good side that. Wonder if we can get better than Moyes' old Everton team? Seem to have a bit more flair about us.
My only concern would be same as most folk - you could feel the entire crowd wince whenever Antonio fell over etc.

It’s great that Benny and Rice etc are chipping in with goals, but we’re going to undermine his hard work if plan B is Yarmolenko
Diogenes
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Good attendance and atmosphere and result. Thought our 'B'side was better than our 'A' side (after subs).
A bit sloppy at times, but fully deserved win. Dawson and Benrahma MotM for me.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 81 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Good win

Emerson banging it before hand

Nearly home.

Good session

Coyi
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

“Turgid” game.

Thought Benrahma did nothing tonight, and I’ve been a fan since we signed him and before.

Vlasic looks really off the pace to me. Hopefully he improves like Fornals who is now one of our best players.

Then you’ve got Yarmolenko starting, a man who plays for no one but himself, whilst Lanzini, a man tailored made for this competition, is on the bench.

Baffling but we won, I suppose.
Sir David Sullivan
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Sir David Sullivan »

Benrahma or Rice MOTM for me. Benny’s getting better week by week, becoming one of our most important players.

Diop was solid and I see a lot of people are saying Dawson MOTM but, whilst he was defensively good, his passing wasn’t great today and slowed us down on occasion - hadn’t noticed it as much before so I wonder if it’s seeing the difference now when Zouma plays. Feels like a luxury of riches for a chance though that we can rest our first 2 CBs and still put these 2 in!

First game of the season for me so I don’t know if it’s been the case all year but the atmosphere in the ground was v good! Few mugs taking the e-ticket frustrations out in the stewards though which didn’t sit right with me, they’re just doing their minimum wage job and didn’t come up with the system.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

e17 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:47 pm My only concern would be same as most folk - you could feel the entire crowd wince whenever Antonio fell over etc.

It’s great that Benny and Rice etc are chipping in with goals, but we’re going to undermine his hard work if plan B is Yarmolenko
Spread the goals around! That way you aren’t over reliant on one player. I like the fact anyone can pop up with a winner these days.
Denzil
Has liked: 356 likes
Total likes: 524 likes

Post by Denzil »

Just got into bed. What a night. Got over there double early and soaked it all in with the beers

Great atmosphere great result special mention to the Rapid fans they were top notch even if there were a few skirmishes. Silly wavey hand songs at times though.

Had 3 of them behind us in the home end and they were very respectful. One even came and joined us for bubbles at the end and said see you in Vienna thank you to your fans for being nice to us. Top fellas.

Irons.
Beedub
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Beedub »

Love Nobes, club legends undoubtedly but geez watching him this year is getting hard.

It’s a real throw back to when we were ****, persisting with short corners at every chance despite having Dawson and Diop looking likely to score at every chance

7 extra touches and a little dink of direction when two touches would have worked.

The slowest floated set pieces you’ve ever seen so even when we win the header there is no speed to put in the back of the neck.

Surely Kral can’t be worse than Noble is right now. If he is then it’s a poor signing. All I can think of is they are gifting Nobes a swan song for his amazing efforts
Diogenes
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Beedub wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:57 am Love Nobes, club legends undoubtedly but geez watching him this year is getting hard.

It’s a real throw back to when we were ****, persisting with short corners at every chance despite having Dawson and Diop looking likely to score at every chance

7 extra touches and a little dink of direction when two touches would have worked.

The slowest floated set pieces you’ve ever seen so even when we win the header there is no speed to put in the back of the neck.

Surely Kral can’t be worse than Noble is right now. If he is then it’s a poor signing. All I can think of is they are gifting Nobes a swan song for his amazing efforts
Opinions eh. I thought he did well whilst he was on the field tonight. Apart from one mishap, he looked a class above IMO.
Beedub
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Beedub »

He didn’t do bad, he was good but just some of those things I mentioned are still in his game which just remind me of **** west ham

Love when Nobes just gives and goes. One two touch pass get it on to Benny and Rice.

I can’t help but feel at times on field he struggles with not being the main man anymore. I mean what the short corners every time he gets near it, have we ever actually scored from one
'stone hammer
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 525 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

The wavy hands kept cracking me up :lol: it looked like they belonged at an Ed Sheeran concert.
Hamburger
Has liked: 861 likes
Total likes: 444 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Another professional if not exhilarating performance. The 'squad' players did their job especially Johnson, shame he can't get more game time, and Dawson ever dependable. Even Yarmo played a part but Vlasic still finding his feet. Bowen & Fornals great work as usual but the former's finishing, yikes! Glad to see Antonio came through ok. Rice absolutely immense, if we could win this competition or get into the CL next year, would he stay another season (or two :fxd: )?
Last edited by Hamburger on Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hammanila

Post by Hammanila »

Loving these European games. Rotating our squad, putting in disciplined performances and picking up 2 wins from 2; a slight contrast to the Astra Giurgu disasters from a few seasons back.

Slight concern about Bowen and how not scoring this season could be affecting him. Real lack of composure with that effort. Not really sure if rounding the keeper was the best option in the first place (but what do I know!)

Bring on Genk, can't wait.