EL: West Ham Utd 2-0 Rapid Wien (30/09/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Rapid Wien: match thread

Post by Wilko1304 »

Im happy to come on and be negative for ya, Ozza.

I thought we were crap. Professional was the Zagreb game, this was sloppy and flat.

They were given far too many openings and opportunities. Sure, they were pretty awful with them, but they were there. We should not go limp for 30-40 minutes because we think we’re gonna win, or at least we shouldn’t when we’re 1-0 up.

There are excuses for it - lots of changes, a bit tired, then a raft of subs too - but I’d hope Moyes got into them a bit for letting that game drift out of their control for a very long time.

It may be a little harsh, but it’s also realistic criticism. Had that ref decided he still thought it was a penalty, and he could have easily decided there was a touch that forced the player to kick his own leg (not because I think there was, but because referee’s regularly make weird decisions) then we’re facing a penalty and likely at 1-1 against a team we should have controlled handily.
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1511 likes
Total likes: 266 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:45 am We've absolutely got to lose to Brentford at the weekend otherwise I'm going to really start worrying about what's happened to the West Ham I know and love... :crylol:
I feel quite nervous about Sunday, and your comment made me even more nervous :nonpl:
Rockhampton Hammer
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Rockhampton Hammer »

davids cross wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:51 pm Was just having a look around some other forums and football outlets etc....

Amazing how many people think that, either...

A.) Tottenham are playing in the Europa League.

or

B.) West Ham are playing in the Conference alongside Tottenham.

Not helped, one suspects, by the BBC leading with the Spurs game on their website last night. Despite the competition being utterly micky mouse......(Tottenham may have turned a corner apparently)

Both competitions being played on the same night has given it a sort of cross-fertilization appearance to many........and the differences not properly explained by media and panels imo.

:clown:
For what it's worth it's the same in NZ, not helped by the fact that the sports presenter on TV1 is a Spud and the usual wankfest about anything the bin dippers do.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

This time last year I was worried we might go down. Will happily take a slightly naff two nil win in a proper European group match only because Moyes has raised our expectations so high.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

Wilko1304 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:14 pm Im happy to come on and be negative for ya, Ozza.

I thought we were crap. Professional was the Zagreb game, this was sloppy and flat.

It may be a little harsh, but it’s also realistic criticism. Had that ref decided he still thought it was a penalty, and he could have easily decided there was a touch that forced the player to kick his own leg (not because I think there was, but because referee’s regularly make weird decisions) then we’re facing a penalty and likely at 1-1 against a team we should have controlled handily.
Crap is harsh on the players who turned up though, especially in the first half.

Moyes definitely needs to (and I have no doubt he will) look at what caused that flat period. We had our boot on their neck and eased off. Based on the shouting from the touchline I don't think it was a plan to save energy. Fornals coming on and showing for the ball helped massively and perhaps showed part of the problem. Some in the 18 still need to show some consistency before they will really be challenging to start.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Flat possibly, crap no. Did Areola have a serious shot to save all night? I cannot remember one.

We defended solidly and had one of the headers gone in we would have won far more comfortably than we did. It was the moment of magic/madness nature of the 1-0 lead that caused the stress more than any real feel they were threatening an equaliser.

Hard to really judge the players given the nature of the opposition however:-
Areola needs to work on his distribution.
Yarmo is as frustrating as ever (played some great passes first half including the one to Antonio in the lead up to the goal) yet still could be sloppy with the ball as well.
Noble frees up Rice to be more of a box to box player but if everyone is coming back for the ball as Benrahma, Vlasic and Yarmo were Noble has few options. We missed Bowen/Fornals running forward supporting Antonio.
Johnson is solid defensively but offered very little going forward
Whu stepney
Has liked: 80 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by Whu stepney »

Why are people on here saying the tickets were cheap last nite ? It was massively overpriced if anything .
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Whu stepney wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:55 pm Why are people on here saying the tickets were cheap last nite ? It was massively overpriced if anything .
I think it was £60 for 3 games mate
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Georgee Paris wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:02 pm I think it was £60 for 3 games mate
It wasn’t, I paid £60 each which works out £180 for all 3.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Georgee Paris wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:02 pm I think it was £60 for 3 games mate
Only for specific season tickets. Depending where you sit.
There was no package for non season ticket holders and tickets from £40-£60 per game.

I got a text saying some single tickets for £30 but guess they are behind the screens
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

BigFatSam wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:12 pm It wasn’t, I paid £60 each which works out £180 for all 3.
Yes but it was the cheap seats that always attracts the herberts.
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

When there was protests in the ground you got more people in the expensive seats nearer the directors box.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Firstly, very happy with the result and despite a feeling that there was something missing (and we didn’t flow) I’m well aware that even the best teams in the world have to grind out games sometimes. ‘Mark of a good side’ as they say. Very happy with our continued momentum. Couple of observations aside from that:

-Whoever is behind the decision to take any short corners should be kept as far away from on-the-pitch decisions as is possible.
-Noble slowed the ball down a lot for me, and felt the three ahead of him had less influence than you’d expect given the opposition…not sure which is cause and which is effect (or even how connected those two points are).
-Ben Johnson was solid defensively but he’s a step below Coufal (and even Fredericks) in an attacking sense. Pairing him with Yarmolenko (who screams out for an attacking, pacy, overlapping full-back) means our right side is barely an attacking threat at all. I think he’s defo going to be a PL player but I think his best position is likely right sided centre back in a three.
-Antonio played within himself after going down and holding his groin in the first half - felt our attacking threat reduced significantly from then until Bowen came on.
-someone please get Bowen working on his right foot in extra training sessions.
-Bringing Pablo on is like adding Nitrous-oxide to an engine, we went up at least two gears.
-finally, there is apparently a rule in European football that you get a free kick if you throw yourself on the ball when not even fouled. Or at least that’s what I assume from watching the game last night.