West Ham Utd 1-2 Brentford (03/10/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brentford: match thread

Post by PF. »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:34 am A lot has been written on this thread about our wastefulness in front of goal. It drives me to distraction too and has done for years. It seems to me, that no matter is manager, our shooting in goal scoring positions is still poor.
This season; West Ham have the third highest shots on target in the league (39), behind Liverpool (53) and Man Utd (42). We have had a total of 115 shots - a 34% "on target" ratio. By contrast, Man City have had 127 shots and 34 on target (27%).

There's also a stat that measures "Big Chances Missed" - we have 8 of those. Liverpool (15), Man City (14), Man Utd (14), Wolves (14) and Chelsea (10) all have more.

Only two teams have scored more goals in the league in the first 7 games (Liverpool 17, Chelsea 15).
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

WestHamLyallStyle wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:17 am I would’ve pulled Fornals off as I like him.
Fnarr fnarr!
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1375 likes
Total likes: 994 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

Arnold Layne wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:21 am Fnarr fnarr!
Oops. Typo. As much as I like him.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I can't say the result has bothered me too much. We did it to Leeds and it's been returned back to us. That's the way it goes sometimes.

I think there's also a growing argument to get Masuaku in the team soon imo. We need a bit more protection and pace down that side.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

PF. wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:19 am This season; West Ham have the third highest shots on target in the league (39), behind Liverpool (53) and Man Utd (42). We have had a total of 115 shots - a 34% "on target" ratio. By contrast, Man City have had 127 shots and 34 on target (27%).
P
There's also a stat that measures "Big Chances Missed" - we have 8 of those. Liverpool (15), Man City (14), Man Utd (14), Wolves (14) and Chelsea (10) all have more.

Only two teams have scored more goals in the league in the first 7 games (Liverpool 17, Chelsea 15).

Is there a statistic for weak and scuffed shots ?
Oldun
Has liked: 172 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Oldun »

I had a look to see if that clown had refereed a game for us before and the only one he did last season was the Villa home game ,and you can remember how bad he was that day as well.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5672 likes
Total likes: 3089 likes

Post by MB »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:39 am Is there a statistic for weak and scuffed shots ?
Yes, net spend!
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

WestHamLyallStyle wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:59 am We looked strong late on at Leeds. I can only imagine DM doesn’t trust the players he has on the bench. Maybe Masuaku could’ve come on as he has pace. Lanzini and Yarmolenko are just bit part players nowadays.
I’ve seen this posted a few times about not trusting the bench players when it was only a few games ago people were saying how strong the bench looked. As far as I’m concerned, having options like Vlasic, Lanzini, Yarmolenko, Masuaku and Kral to bring on is plenty. When Soucek is clearly knackered and obviously struggling to adapt to a more defensive role, bring on Kral. If Fornals/Benrahma are struggling you have any of the other 4 to bring on.

No issue with that bench at all. Moyes is at fault for not using it.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:39 am Is there a statistic for weak and scuffed shots ?
Both in defence and in attack, we are a strong unit - sitting comfortably in the top echelons of the premier league. The data shared proves you to be incorrect - but then, I don't suppose that matters to someone as consistent as yourself. I'll leave it to you to decide whether that's a compliment.
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 156 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Chrissieboy »

hammers92 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:33 am I can't say the result has bothered me too much. We did it to Leeds and it's been returned back to us. That's the way it goes sometimes.

I think there's also a growing argument to get Masuaku in the team soon imo. We need a bit more protection and pace down that side.
The Leeds game was a fair old ding dong though. I started that match liking Brentford. They've done well to get into the Prem and proven a club that has an eye for talent and development. I was super impressed after 30 minutes. By 90 minutes I bloody hated them. They got away with so many fouls, plus timewasting and play acting and just the rub of the green with silly decisions like the 'foul' by Antonio on their keeper. The ref was awful but as others have already commented, they played anti-football for about 60 minutes after that blistering start.

Masuaku coming on as sub in games like that for Benrahma makes so much sense. Even Johnson pushed further forward.
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 156 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Chrissieboy »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:18 pm ^^^If only there were some way we could replace say three really tired players with some rested ones during the game...
Madness! What is this witchcraft you are suggesting?!
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

In games like this I feel like we are missing a Lucas Neil or Kevin Nolan type character. Somebody to get in the refs ear.

It felt like they had watched how Palace approached us and adopted a similar philosophy. Plenty of physicality and lots of shithousery!

We should take it as a compliment that teams are trying to disrupt us rather than try to outplay us. We are a good team, but we need to be a bit more horrible when the game calls for it. I think we are a bit too nice.

A point would've been fair but **** happens. Onto the next game.

PS - I would like to see Kral start the next game. Soucek looks like he needs a breather.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 3486 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Brentford
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136294

HitzlspergersBurgers
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by HitzlspergersBurgers »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:06 pm
The opposition view: Brentford
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136294

Got to say, they have some very unusual fans. Almost as if they don't really understand the game.
PK
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by PK »

Strange comment from the fan that thought he would be blinded by the sun !?

Except the away fans are at the other end of the stadium...
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

I had no problems with no substitutions. If he hadn't scored Bowen would have been swapped, there is no way you could take him off once he scored.

Benny, Fornals and Antonio have all scored a few goals this season, nobody on the bench could match that. Only Lanzini possibly.

I thought once we equalised we would go on and win it, as we have proved time and time again in the last year we can finish strongly.

We had chances but didn't take them and then gave away a stupid goal to throw a point away. At the other end yesterday the shot would have been blocked or blazed over the bar.

We need to bury far more of the chances we create.
steps
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by steps »

I found their comments about the stadium (yes, we know it’s crap) a bit rich. I visited theirs for the friendly a couple of months back and I found it rather naff and pokey. Plus it’s built next to a giant high-rise office block with a huge picture of Sonic the Hedgehog at the top. They wouldn’t sell us a pint in the ground pre-match or at half-time. I had a ticket for a seat that didn’t exist (none of the stewards could find it, then they blamed the new stadium and said “sit anywhere mate”.

Plus the walk to the away end was through a pretty much building site of depressing high rise flats or offices.

Moving from Griffin Park to that pokey flat pack would hurt them as much as us moving from the Boleyn deep down I would imagine and they’re slating the OS to mask their utter disappointment.
Last edited by steps on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OFT
Has liked: 3202 likes
Total likes: 1839 likes

Post by OFT »

Some proper Cleetus types on there with this little nugget the one that's grinding my gears the most:

". And, as for tactics, give me TF and his staff over Moyes any day of the week."
- IslandBee

Clearly following the popular 'script' re; Moyes and no understanding of what they were watching.
To be fair, even that perceived view of Moyes would be more tolerable than the cheating, snidey, diving stuff that Brentford exhibited throughout... Dreadful.
r99c
Has liked: 704 likes
Total likes: 396 likes

Post by r99c »

Don't really read the OV these days - why waste my time reading delusional **** nonsense?
OFT
Has liked: 3202 likes
Total likes: 1839 likes

Post by OFT »

r99c wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:10 pm Don't really read the OV these days - why waste my time reading delusional **** nonsense?
I love reading it when we win so feel duty bound so to do when we don't win :smiler: