Everton 0-1 West Ham Utd (17/10/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Re: ⚽ Everton vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Ironing Board »

sendô wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:10 pm No he wasn't, the player of the tournament Gianluigi Donnarumma was.

I swear sometimes you are just here to troll. :lol:
Pickford was the unofficial Golden Glove winner with five clean sheets to the Italian's three. I guess I should have been more precise in my language there!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... oalkeepers
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Up the Junction wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:42 pm "That old paddy hunf***er..."
His impersonation of our lot is funny.
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Pickford had a good Euros, but is generally not all that. He’s too short, and definitely too short-limbed and doesn’t have a commanding physical presence, hence the flapping and getting outjumped. Good distribution and reasonable shot-stopping, but he lacks all the physical attributes needed from a top keeper.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

DasNutNock2 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:55 pm Pickford had a good Euros, but is generally not all that. He’s too short, and definitely too short-limbed and doesn’t have a commanding physical presence, hence the flapping and getting outjumped. Good distribution and reasonable shot-stopping, but he lacks all the physical attributes needed from a top keeper.
He's the same height as Antti Niemi. Plays in a similar way too. One thing I like about Pickford is his distribution. There was one cracking ball he played onto Townsend's feet that would very possibly have led to a goal had they had their usual frontmen in support instead of fatman Rondon.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3084 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

I’m not desperate to defend IB, but Pickford has become underrated cos people find him annoying. He’s consistently excellent for England, so there’s a mentality thing going on with Everton rather than talent.

To his credit, two saves he made from Bowen were very good, the late one especially.

Personality gets into the mind, but he’s a good goalkeeper and an excellent kicker. He’s outside the top tier, but then he’s at Everton. And he’s been behind a weird defence at Everton.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

DasNutNock2 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:55 pm Pickford had a good Euros, but is generally not all that. He’s too short, and definitely too short-limbed and doesn’t have a commanding physical presence, hence the flapping and getting outjumped. Good distribution and reasonable shot-stopping, but he lacks all the physical attributes needed from a top keeper.
I do not agree with your physical attributes points, but your other points are reasonably valid. Except that I think his 'distribution' is awful compared with the best. His shot stopping is very, very good. But, for me, he is always an accident waiting to happen. When you compare him to the likes of Banks, Shilton, Clemence etc. there is no comparison.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:12 pm I do not agree with your physical attributes points, but your other points are reasonably valid. Except that I think his 'distribution' is awful compared with the best. His shot stopping is very, very good. But, for me, he is always an accident waiting to happen. When you compare him to the likes of Banks, Shilton, Clemence etc. there is no comparison.
You are right in that he can make bad errors. But he has yet to peak. Guys like Howard, Niemi and Fabianski are all guys who got better with age.
DasNutNock2

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:47 pm He's the same height as Antti Niemi.
Fair point. He looks short, though, which is probably due to having incredibly short arms.
DasNutNock2

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:12 pm I do not agree with your physical attributes points, but your other points are reasonably valid. Except that I think his 'distribution' is awful compared with the best. His shot stopping is very, very good. But, for me, he is always an accident waiting to happen. When you compare him to the likes of Banks, Shilton, Clemence etc. there is no comparison.
I don’t think he’s tall enough or physically powerful enough, and the beat keepers need one or both of those attributes. His balance seems pretty decent, obviously important. He looks a level below the type to win you the biggest prizes.

I think his distribution is probably his best attribute, although I am basing that in part on his performances in the Euros, where his passing down the flanks was an important tactical option to how we played in that competition.
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

To be fair to Pickford on Sunday, that was a brilliant save from Bowen low down.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Some good work here.
DublinDave
Has liked: 2724 likes
Total likes: 1756 likes

Post by DublinDave »

Pickford is sh!te IB...
Unless he's your son, move on...
The Galway lad with the rant was most amusing, tongue in cheek but proper Irish banter...
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Pickford isn’t ****, he’s not a world beater but he is definitely not ****.

Best way to judge a player is to look at his own team fans opinions and they like him.
DublinDave

Post by DublinDave »

BigFatSam wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:06 am Pickford isn’t ****, he’s not a world beater but he is definitely not ****.

Best way to judge a player is to look at his own team fans opinions and they like him.
He's a vampire, hates crosses... He's like Adrian, (who I loved even though I knew deep down he was a liability),
great shot stopper, pulls off the odd worldly save but you never trust them to deal with a high ball or a cross into the box, you know they'll cock at least one a game up, depends on the opposition if they take advantage of it
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

DublinDave wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:32 am He's a vampire, hates crosses... He's like Adrian, (who I loved even though I knew deep down he was a liability),
great shot stopper, pulls off the odd worldly save but you never trust them to deal with a high ball or a cross into the box, you know they'll cock at least one a game up, depends on the opposition if they take advantage of it
We literally have a goalkeeper who was once named "Flapianski." It is up to the managers to help out a keeper weaker in this area with strong central defenders.

Pickford has the clean sheet record for both England and the Euros. Didn't he also beat the great Gordon Banks in terms of minutes without conceding a goal?
DublinDave

Post by DublinDave »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:37 am We literally have a goalkeeper who was once named "Flapianski." It is up to the managers to help out a keeper weaker in this area with strong central defenders.

Pickford has the clean sheet record for both England and the Euros. Didn't he also beat the great Gordon Banks in terms of minutes without conceding a goal?
He isn't fit to tie Gordon Banks's shoelaces...
England were blessed with a soft draw, the defence were immense & he did pull off some good shot stopping saves in the tournament but still made several mistakes that his defence rectified for him...
He was a liability in the final...
If he played for us he'd do my head in, as I said previously, he's Adrian without the personality...
Imho
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

DublinDave wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:45 am He isn't fit to tie Gordon Banks's shoelaces...
England were blessed with a soft draw, the defence were immense & he did pull off some good shot stopping saves in the tournament but still made several mistakes that his defence rectified for him...
He was a liability in the final...
If he played for us he'd do my head in, as I said previously, he's Adrian without the personality...
Imho
Didn’t he save two penalties?
DublinDave

Post by DublinDave »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:51 am Didn’t he save two penalties?
As I said, good shot stopper...
Doesn't make him a good keeper...
You have your view of him, I have mine. You won't change yours & neither will I..
We'll have to agree to disagree as I'm off to bed...
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

DublinDave wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:00 am As I said, good shot stopper...
Doesn't make him a good keeper...
You have your view of him, I have mine. You won't change yours & neither will I..
We'll have to agree to disagree as I'm off to bed...
True enough. I will say that modern keepers seem to flap more as they are trained to punch, and the old man marking is largely replaced by zonal marking.

On another note… peak Damien Duff or peak Joe Cole?
DublinDave

Post by DublinDave »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:05 am On another note… peak Damien Duff or peak Joe Cole?
I do rate Duffer but Joe Cole all day long...
Wonderful, naturally gifted footballer & one of our own... Had trouble with injuries but there will only ever be one winner on this site..!