Everton 0-1 West Ham Utd (17/10/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Re: ⚽ Everton vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by S-H »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:05 am On another note… peak Damien Duff or peak Joe Cole?
Why would a West Ham fan even ask this?
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2889 likes
Total likes: 617 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

S-H wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:39 am Why would a West Ham fan even ask this?
A West Ham fan didn’t.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3195 likes
Total likes: 2330 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:12 pm I do not agree with your physical attributes points, but your other points are reasonably valid. Except that I think his 'distribution' is awful compared with the best. His shot stopping is very, very good. But, for me, he is always an accident waiting to happen. When you compare him to the likes of Banks, Shilton, Clemence etc. there is no comparison.
Funnily enough, while he's almost certainly not as good a keeper as Shilton overall, Pickford's currently got a much better record at not making massive mistakes in big tournaments the way Shilton did more than once!

Pickford's already saved more penalties than Shilton too.

I'm no Pickford fan, but he does seem to have the happy habit of raising his game on the international stage.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 258 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Hammer.CA wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:17 am A West Ham fan didn’t.
:crylol:
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

DublinDave wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:36 am I do rate Duffer but Joe Cole all day long...
Wonderful, naturally gifted footballer & one of our own... Had trouble with injuries but there will only ever be one winner on this site..!
Joe Cole had a longer peak, but he had to inhibit his natural game to get into the Chelsea team under Mourinho. But Chelsea with Robben and Duff were one of the greatest footballing machines I have ever seen. That night they destroyed Barcelona was just astonishing. From memory Duff lost something after he got a bad shoulder injury. But he was amazingly effective for Blackburn and, initially, for Chelsea.

I often think moving to Chelsea was the worst thing Cole did, as he never really achieved his potential there. He would have flourished more playing for a manager like Ferguson at Man Utd.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:52 am Funnily enough, while he's almost certainly not as good a keeper as Shilton overall, Pickford's currently got a much better record at not making massive mistakes in big tournaments the way Shilton did more than once!

Pickford's already saved more penalties than Shilton too.

I'm no Pickford fan, but he does seem to have the happy habit of raising his game on the international stage.
Peter Shilton and Neville Southall were both weak on crosses, at least in comparison with their overall games.

With the speed of the game, and the way keepers are taught to punch rather than catch, it is no major surprise keepers seem to flap more nowadays.

Zonal marking also plays a key role. He has better defenders in front of him for England, which accentuates his strengths while offering more protection to his weaknesses.
Hammer.CA

Post by Hammer.CA »

Peter Shilton, winner of 2 European Cups, record number of England caps, voted one of the top goalkeepers of all time was weak on crosses, I’ve heard it all now.
If you already aren’t, could you stay on Everton groups and stop with this ‘we’ when talking about West Ham. You’re not a West Ham fan, you never mention about the games you attend now or at any time.
We, ffs.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 258 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Hammer.CA wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:29 pm Peter Shilton, winner of 2 European Cups, record number of England caps, voted one of the top goalkeepers of all time was weak on crosses, I’ve heard it all now.
If you already aren’t, could you stay on Everton groups and stop with this ‘we’ when talking about West Ham. You’re not a West Ham fan, you never mention about the games you attend now or at any time.
We, ffs.
:clap:
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Hammer.CA wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:29 pm Peter Shilton, winner of 2 European Cups, record number of England caps, voted one of the top goalkeepers of all time was weak on crosses, I’ve heard it all now.
We, ffs.
Peter Shilton was short for a goalkeeper (shorter than Pickford). The likes of Dave Bassett have pointed out (and targeted) this weakness in his game, and said he got extra protection from referees due to his status. In fact his lack of inches surely played a part in the infamous Hand of God moment He was a great goalkeeper, but to suggest he was something he was not is silly.
Hammer.CA

Post by Hammer.CA »

‘Something he wasn’t’ so he didn’t win 2 European Cup winners medals, a Super Cup winners medal, league winners medal, record number of England caps, wasn’t voted one of the top goalkeepers of all time and the managerial maestro that was Dave Bassett’s opinion carries more weight than Brian Clough.
I know you think you’re clever and a few other posters on here interact with you but in reality you talk absolute tripe. There are a few well known long term members of this group who have stopped posting on here because of the the tosh you post. The fact that you seem to think that Dave Bassett’s opinion is more important than Brian Clough’s confirms that you’re on a perpetual windup.
I just don’t understand what enjoyment you get from it to be honest.
Why don’t you tell us about your recent trips to a home or away game, or your European away days.
We, Jesus wept.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Hammer.CA wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:55 pm ‘Something he wasn’t’ so he didn’t win 2 European Cup winners medals, a Super Cup winners medal, league winners medal, record number of England caps, wasn’t voted one of the top goalkeepers of all time and the managerial maestro that was Dave Bassett’s opinion carries more weight than Brian Clough.
I know you think you’re clever and a few other posters on here interact with you but in reality you talk absolute tripe. There are a few well known long term members of this group who have stopped posting on here because of the the tosh you post. The fact that you seem to think that Dave Bassett’s opinion is more important than Brian Clough’s confirms that you’re on a perpetual windup.
I just don’t understand what enjoyment you get from it to be honest.
Why don’t you tell us about your recent trips to a home or away game, or your European away days.
We, Jesus wept.
That’s an odd perspective. You can be very successful while still having weaknesses. Gordon Strachan being weak in the air, Bobby Moore lacking pace, Romario lacking work ethic. Pretty much every player has strengths and weaknesses, and Shilton is just like anyone else. Clemence was notably more comfortable in the air.

This all comes back to people saying Pickford is rubbish, and yet Shilton himself, Southall, David James, Nigel Martyn and David Moyes all say he is an excellent goalkeeper. Prone to lapses yes, but he has yet to reach his peak. I would imagine they know what they are talking about.