EL: West Ham Utd 3-0 Genk (21/10/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd vs Genk: match thread

Post by mumbles87 »

:scarfer:
Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:01 pm Does Areola's loan come with an obligation to buy?
Hope so
McKnightmare
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by McKnightmare »

The proper emergence of Ben Johnson is one of the biggest bright spots of a decent few weeks. Seems like a great lad.
kenthammer
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 400 likes

Post by kenthammer »

Hammer in Hornchurch wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:59 pm Needs time.
Reminds me of when Fornals joined us.
Agreed,Pablo got a bit of stick off a good few posters on here but has come good,give the lad some time then judge him
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2179 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

ageing hammer wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:05 pm I was worried that the Europa league would drain our players and hamper us in te Premier league games.

But tonight got me thinking differently, so many of our second string getting regular competitive football games means they will be ready to deputise if any of our first string get injured or suspended.

It's actually better than I thought. :)
I like this post
WCpete
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by WCpete »

For me the jury will be out on Vlasic until midway next season. Most imported new players don't hit the ground running. Most important now is that he work hard in training, improve his strength and quickness, not screw up when he's playing, contribute where he can, and get embedded in the culture of the side.
OFT
Has liked: 3206 likes
Total likes: 1839 likes

Post by OFT »

ageing hammer wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:05 pm I was worried that the Europa league would drain our players and hamper us in te Premier league games.

But tonight got me thinking differently, so many of our second string getting regular competitive football games means they will be ready to deputise if any of our first string get injured or suspended.

It's actually better than I thought. :)
Likewise ageing.
Very smart management from Moyes
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Hammer in Hornchurch wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:59 pm Needs time.
Reminds me of when Fornals joined us.
Not blowing my own trumpet but I could see very early on the sort of creative player Fornals was. It's not obvious what Vlasics key attribute is.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1171 likes
Total likes: 681 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

Many good points tonight. Yarmo did well, and linked with Johnson. Our centre backs never really had any problems with their centre forward, who by the way can stay in Belgium, after watching him five times now. Our Forwards rotated and dragged them everywhere. Classic starting to look the part. Soucek looked class, but Rice ………well just superb.

Great squad performance, and good substitutions. Well done Moyes and coaches.👍
Last edited by Bond Holder 59 on Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:11 pm Not blowing my own trumpet but I could see very early on the sort of creative player Fornals was. It's not obvious what Vlasics key attribute is.
He held the ball up and kept possession well a few times tonight.
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

McKnightmare wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:05 pm The proper emergence of Ben Johnson is one of the biggest bright spots of a decent few weeks. Seems like a great lad.
Yup, watching his career develop has been a delight to see.
YeOldHammer
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by YeOldHammer »

Vlasic has been underwhelming so far but its early days. I think a goal will do his confidence wonders. Have faith in Moyes to gradually draw out that quality like he has done with other players.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2179 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:11 pm Not blowing my own trumpet but I could see very early on the sort of creative player Fornals was. It's not obvious what Vlasics key attribute is.
I think it was an expensive punt once we realised man utd were playing hardball with Lingard. They see us as a threat in my opinion and I'm not joking.

I hope he comes good and hope we do actually get Lingard cheap in January.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 209 likes
Total likes: 1096 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Scratchy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:51 pm Moyes just doesn't understand the concept of managing fitness levels. Why take Vlasic off if he isn't going to play on Sunday? Why make Bowen play until the 81st minute when the game was sewn up?
It may look weird but let’s be honest he knows more than a bloke commenting on a football forum.

You’ve got to trust him. He knows what he’s doing.
Daytonahammer
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by Daytonahammer »

Im on the fence with vlasic. I know it's early days and he's got to get bedded in but I'm not sold on him. I do think that pass across the face of goal in the first half would have been buried by Mike but other than that he had what? Maybe 2 other passes of play where he looked good? I saw more from both Pablo and Benny when they were getting bedded in but I do pray I'm wrong and he comes good.
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by JonG86 »

I was at the game ans thought Vlasic did well tbh...

Johnson is great defensively, but not as good going forwards.

Yarmelenko is perfect for our Europa league games.
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

Professional job and nothing better than a standing ovation for a young academy player coming in for his debut. :hamm:

That 6ft 7 forward we were 'linked' with was terrible. :crossed: Ito looked a little tidy but apart from a few fluffed chances we kept then pretty much at bay like Everton.

Bring on that team in shitty white.
Last edited by Jonah on Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OohAahButler
Has liked: 570 likes
Total likes: 294 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

Strange one tonight. Apart from ten mins or so, we barely got out of second gear yet a weird calm kind of settled over the Bowl And nobody seemed fussed. We just knew that we’d get the job done.

I thought Cresswell had a good game, Dawson too. Vlasic was…ok. To be fair, whilst he doesn’t achieve much he always looks busy and willing and he doesn’t drop any clangers - so more than happy to give him time to find his feet and settle in.
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1493 likes

Post by smuts »

To be fair 24- 30m on Vlasic looks like a huge amount of outlay especially when he struggled at Everton.

Hopefully he'll kick on soon to show his value.
alantaylorsleftfoot
Has liked: 177 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by alantaylorsleftfoot »

Solid performance and I love Moyes's confidence/comfort with the depth in his squad.

It would, though, appear that Arthur is well out of favour. It would have been an ideal game to have given him 20-30 minutes. Noble, Fredricks, Benny, Fornals and Chesters all brought on ahead of him despite him (arguably) needing game time more than any of them. I can see him being sold.

For those of us who watch the U23's games, Chesters being given a debut is no surprise. With the exception a few of the defenders in the U23 squad, he is the standout player. He has pace, and a great engine. A real livewire. He compares well to Paul Allen.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 313 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Just got back, I thought Vlasic had a good game.

He reminds me of Fornals. He’ll be a good player for us.

Thought Genk were a dangerous team. Definitely the best showing against us so far.

Odd tactics though with a striker that big, can’t remember them going long to him once.