EL: West Ham Utd 3-0 Genk (21/10/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ethanadict
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 263 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd vs Genk: match thread

Post by Ethanadict »

Declan was imperious again tonight. With him in the side we look in complete control of the midfield. When he went off, we looked a bit average. Harsh maybe, but true.

Spuds will be interesting on Sunday. Kane, Son, Ndombele… they’re high calibre players. He needs to be 100% on his game for every minute. The rest of their team is ordinary (and we are Massive) but we need Declan and Tomas to control that CDM area.
Deepster
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by Deepster »

OohAahButler wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:31 pm Strange one tonight. Apart from ten mins or so, we barely got out of second gear yet a weird calm kind of settled over the Bowl And nobody seemed fussed. We just knew that we’d get the job done.
Yes I thought exactly the same, it is a most unusual feeling to have as a WHU supporter.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2184 likes
Total likes: 1382 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

steveyrockstar wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:51 pm No disrespect to teams like Genk and Rapid Vienna, but frustrating to think these clubs get to play in Europe almost every year. Whereas we have to battle through a ridiculously tough and near non-competitive PL to qualify for Europe once every blue moon. It's mad to see some of the clubs that have played in the CL group stages (such as Celtic) whereas we've only come very slightly close to qualifying twice!

And then it's very ironic that when we have qualified for Europe, we got knocked out in the qualifiers by some random minnows - prior to this season of course! (And 1999 excepted).
Interesting post. First part I agree with but have no ideas how it could be better. The Astra fiascos I can't get my head around.

I think Billic out of depth and relied on Payet. Controversial I know.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

Centre Half wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:37 pm Just got back, I thought Vlasic had a good game.

He reminds me of Fornals. He’ll be a good player for us.

Thought Genk were a dangerous team. Definitely the best showing against us so far.

Odd tactics though with a striker that big, can’t remember them going long to him once.
I also thought Vlasic had a decent game. He was largely anonymous in the first half, but so were most of our front 4, although he put a very good ball into the box that no one committed to going for. In the second half he made good intelligent runs, retained possession well in the final 3rd , got fouled a few times including for the free kick for the second goal, and was denied by a great block. He’s further along than Benrahma was after a handful of appearances, and it’s really hard to judge him when he’s playing with our second string front players, who Bowen excepted are pretty pedestrian.
Daniel1895
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Daniel1895 »

steveyrockstar wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:51 pm No disrespect to teams like Genk and Rapid Vienna, but frustrating to think these clubs get to play in Europe almost every year. Whereas we have to battle through a ridiculously tough and near non-competitive PL to qualify for Europe once every blue moon. It's mad to see some of the clubs that have played in the CL group stages (such as Celtic) whereas we've only come very slightly close to qualifying twice!

And then it's very ironic that when we have qualified for Europe, we got knocked out in the qualifiers by some random minnows - prior to this season of course! (And 1999 excepted).
More Prem League clubs are qualified for the CL than in other league, while the champions in minnow leagues like Scotland e.g. still have to go through qualification rounds.
Not being relegated almost qualifies you for Europe somehow in England.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 575 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

bonzosbeard wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:36 am Interesting post. First part I agree with but have no ideas how it could be better. The Astra fiascos I can't get my head around.

I think Billic out of depth and relied on Payet. Controversial I know.
Always said this. That 15/16 season was more down to Payet than Bilic. We couldn’t buy a win in that winter period when he was injured.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

3 games, 3 wins, none conceded. 3-4 points away from qualifying for the knockouts.

What David Moyes has done to this club is simply disgusting. This is not my West Ham, being competent and controlled.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I actually think Genk did alright, they showed way more intent than Vienna ever dreamed of. Another day and we could’ve been in trouble.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2616 likes
Total likes: 938 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

It does show really, what a better standard the Premier League is - so far we have been really quite comfortable in European matches so far this season and I think there is a far greater gulf in quality of domestic football, than I had anticipated. Last nights result was never in doubt.

I am not sure whether this is a factor, or whether it is the style of other sides, but Yarmo has looked far more comfortable in the EL - hopefully that gives him confidence for his appearances in the EPL. These games are also proving invaluable experience for other fringe players - Johnson is coming along well and nice to see Chesters get a run out. As for Vlasic, he is improving, getting used to the team - I can see similarities to Fornals when he first started. There is a player there, he does have the talent and will become a key part of the squad.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by Tenbury »

My decision to watch our latest exhibition of massiveness at a local, where the landlord is a full on Spurs fan, was rather well - timed :grin: not the greatest welcome I've ever had.... (Banging headache today) COYI :scarfer:
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

How bloody weird is it watching West Ham, in Europe might I add, in almost complete confidence that the goals, and results will come..

It's all rather unnerving..

szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

YorksHammer wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:44 am 3 games, 3 wins, none conceded. 3-4 points away from qualifying for the knockouts.

What David Moyes has done to this club is simply disgusting. This is not my West Ham, being competent and controlled.
It is what you get when you don't have second tier flair players, and eleven hard working ones.
:winker:
Irons_Irons

Post by Irons_Irons »

Did that actually happen :shock:
Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

Boys done us proud last night, was a couple of moments
That I was worried with, aeriola looked a bit panicky and the ball over the top nearly had us a few times better teams will punish us on that and even thoe we scored 3 another striker is a must in jan ( cresswell got a few crosses over and there was no one there which we wouid have put the game to bed a lot earlier )
Also sorry to the yarmo fans had a better game but still not enough for me I'm afraid ( his wages couid draw in a decent striker me thinks ) I'm surprised Arthur never got a run out.

Let's hope for a good performance against the dustbin lids on Sunday :scarfer:.
DenziMart
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by DenziMart »

pablo jaye wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:07 am It does show really, what a better standard the Premier League is - so far we have been really quite comfortable in European matches so far this season and I think there is a far greater gulf in quality of domestic football, than I had anticipated. Last nights result was never in doubt.
In fairness, we have played teams from the Croatian, Belgian and Austrian leagues. Even the Dutch league would be a step up from them, let alone German, Italian or Spanish leagues. Look at Leicester - they've struggled in the Europa so far. Not to say that Moyes hasn't done a fantastic job preparing the team - any one of these games would have seen the old West Ham slip up. But I'm not getting too carried away yet having seen us do the business against some pretty poor teams.
Now what did I do with that Seville hotel booking for mid May? :crylol: :crylol:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

Pfft, it's easy this Europa League lark, isn't it?

Compare and contrast to Spurs, who lost to Vitesse Arnhem. :lol:
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by Tenbury »

A bridge too far perhaps??
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

sendô wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:50 am Pfft, it's easy this Europa League lark, isn't it?

Compare and contrast to Spurs, who lost to Vitesse Arnhem. :lol:
Because they rested their entire first eleven, for their cup final on Sunday..

:wink:
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Always in control of that game I thought - Vlasic did nothing in the first half and I forgot he was even playing

thought bowen played really well plus johnson , rice is just a rolls royce of a player- was surprised soucek played after his studs in the face at the weekend but that just shows exactly what hes all about.

winning in europe its what we do

Moyesie is doing a great job

spurs lost too - what a great day
larryberyl

Post by larryberyl »

good win and great atmosphere last night. lets not get too carried away as we would expect to win this group.

can we be fresh enough to do spurs on sunday is the question. i think so.

lanzini and yarmolenko didnt do much and we need to shift both next summer.

johnson looking good but had yarmo in front of him instead of a bowen .

their big lump didnt cause us any problems , well played dawson and diop who look a decent partnership.

hopefully rice cresswell and soucek will be 100% for the next one

one more win and we are through. then we can rest players properly !