✍ Welcome Alphonse Areola

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2362 likes

Re: ✍ Alphonse Areola

Post by Ozza »

Igor_E7 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:38 am I see no good reasons to keep Fabianski as our first keeper anymore. Bet we would easy loose the game yesterday with him between poles.
WTF
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Igor_E7 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:38 am My thoughts too. I see no good reasons to keep Fabianski as our first keeper anymore. Bet we would easy loose the game yesterday with him between poles.
:?

What exactly are you basing that on? I don't recall Areola making any world class saves. That's taking nothing away from Areola, I just don't see why our own fans are suddenly casting aside a long serving and very competent keeper on the strength of one game for his competitor.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Too much flappage early on. That punch was ridiculous.

Could quite easily see why Moyes (via the goalkeeping coaches I'm sure) waited for this fixture to blood him.

Tonnes of natural ability obviously and a marvellous shot stopper.....but decision making separates good goal keepers from bad ones.

A good debut 7/10. I hope he has burnt off some frustration with that performance. Needs to calm down a bit. Defenders don't need that sort of stuff behind them.

I would have Fabianski back in straight away. Till he messes up. But his quiet keeping fills me with more confidence as of right now.
Chadwell Chief
Has liked: 48 likes
Total likes: 29 likes

Post by Chadwell Chief »

davids cross wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:35 pm Too much flappage early on. That punch was ridiculous.

Could quite easily see why Moyes (via the goalkeeping coaches I'm sure) waited for this fixture to blood him.

Tonnes of natural ability obviously and a marvellous shot stopper.....but decision making separates good goal keepers from bad ones.

A good debut 7/10. I hope he has burnt off some frustration with that performance. Needs to calm down a bit. Defenders don't need that sort of stuff behind them.

I would have Fabianski back in straight away. Till he messes up. But his quiet keeping fills me with more confidence as of right now.
Actually our GK coach Xavi Valero was a huge fan of Areola’s before came and was buzzing that we signed him. The players have also been really impressed by AA in training. I still think Moyes is right to bed him in slowly though.
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1509 likes
Total likes: 266 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

sendô wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:26 pm What exactly are you basing that on? I don't recall Areola making any world class saves. That's taking nothing away from Areola, I just don't see why our own fans are suddenly casting aside a long serving and very competent keeper on the strength of one game for his competitor.
Currently Fabianski often reacts too slow in my opinion, that's it. Lot of people say that they were nervous watching Areola yesterday, so I feel nervous watching Fab lastly, nothing to do with his experience or serving time.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

He reminds me a bit of Adrian, just a little bit too flash for my liking.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Its just nice to have two good goalkeepers going at it for the number 1 spot...I look back to David Martin, Randolph
and Roberto being our best options and I feel a lot better now!!

Lukasz still number one for me, but it was a decent performance and im sure there is more to come.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

Areola has always been a very active punchy keeper. Him and Fab are definitely like chalk and cheese.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

4 games 4 clean sheets.

For some reason people seem to be highlighting the slight errors he makes but for the most part I think he’s been extremely good.

He flapped one corner today but fab does that quite often too. However, Areola did very well today, the rush out 1on1 which stopped a certain goal and then the rush to the big strikers feet in the first half was also impressive.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1143 likes

Post by Diogenes »

BigFatSam wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:33 pm 4 games 4 clean sheets.

For some reason people seem to be highlighting the slight errors he makes but for the most part I think he’s been extremely good.

He flapped one corner today but fab does that quite often too. However, Areola did very well today, the rush out 1on1 which stopped a certain goal and then the rush to the big strikers feet in the first half was also impressive.
:thup:
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 113 likes

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

This is what we want , competition for places
Ethanadict
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 250 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

Can’t be easy coming in for these games. The last thing I want from a keeper is them trying to make an impression. I want them safe and boring and unnoticeable, like David Seaman. When keepers try to impress they look more like Jordan shouty Pickford. Shudder.

Apart from getting lucky with the flappy corner, where it just went wide, I thought Areola had a good game. It will take time, but he looks ok to me.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

BigFatSam wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:33 pm 4 games 4 clean sheets.
The Areola bounce!
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

3 games, 3 clean sheets. That’s still good. But let’s say it as it is. He had no save to make against Rapid Vienna.
And has done 2 flaps that could so easily have cost us in the other 2 games.

Let’s be honest that Genk striker should really have scored that header last night. I would’ve been fuming if our players missed that chance.

He’s made some solid saves at times and his goal kicks are certainly better than Fabianski’s. And I am sure over time and with more games under his belt we will see the Areola we all saw at Fulham.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Looked iffy 1st half last night. Solid 2nd half.

Hope the ridiculous clamour for Fab to be dropped will subside now.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Yeah, he did alright, but, the clamour for him to replace Fabianski, is pretty baseless.

No doubting Alphonse is a good keeper, but Fab hasn't done anything to warrant being dropped.

I think people just want our new signings on the pitch, regardless of form, good job our manager has his head screwed on.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:25 am Hope the ridiculous clamour for Fab to be dropped will subside now.
Mark Noble is enjoying his break.

Personally find the difference of opinion from different seats quite fascinating. From my Stratford cheap seat, this lad appears to be a bit David James (both very very good and occasionally a bit flappy), whereas Fab has primarily always been and remains more Phill Parkes (A solid and reliable keeper who generally owns his area of the pitch)

Either way, it’s West Ham United - I’m amazed we’re not just playing with one decent keeper until their knees fall off. Both are very very decent.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

funky chicken wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:27 am 3 games, 3 clean sheets. That’s still good. But let’s say it as it is. He had no save to make against Rapid Vienna.
And has done 2 flaps that could so easily have cost us in the other 2 games.

Let’s be honest that Genk striker should really have scored that header last night. I would’ve been fuming if our players missed that chance.

He’s made some solid saves at times and his goal kicks are certainly better than Fabianski’s. And I am sure over time and with more games under his belt we will see the Areola we all saw at Fulham.

It’s 4, he played against Manchester United.
larryberyl

Post by larryberyl »

fab our number one at the moment. two good keepers is what we have needed for so long. time to ditch martin and randolph.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Is there a record under threat for time played by one of our keepers without conceding?