EL: West Ham Utd 3-0 Genk (21/10/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 247 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd vs Genk: match thread

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Won £50 from a £3 bet on Cresswell cross and Dawson goal so I'm a happy bunny!

Like others have said, I couldn't believe how calm I felt as I just knew we would pull something out of the bag. Genk did show that maybe a ball over the top could catch us out, Ito was very tricky and pacey for them and if it wasn't for Lurch's scuff it may have been a different game.

Thought Lanzini and Vlasic showed great options and that they could really push Fornals and Benny for places in the first team, Rice was sublime again and I thought Johnson did ok again (not sure why he wasn't moved to the left when Fredricks came on though) Great to see Chesters come on for a cameo and put in a couple of decent tackles as well.

All in all another Moyes tactical masterclass, rested 6 first team players, took off Rice and Cresswell earlyish too. Apart from a couple of flaps from Areola causing a couple of intakes of breath it was a very pleasing performance.

We do need another striker though
Estuary
Has liked: 369 likes
Total likes: 138 likes

Post by Estuary »

Tenbury! :crylol:

First class job all round. Players currently not in the side get run outs. I expect to see some of the under 23's get game time once are mathematically sure of winning the group.
Last edited by Estuary on Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heysel76
Has liked: 216 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Bowen looked like he was limping after the game
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1674 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Weird to think that we got knocked out 2 years in a row by some rubbish team from Romania and now we can rest players (including our only striker) and win fairly comfortably in the Europa league group stage.

In years gone by, I would have seen the team sheet and seen we don’t have our striker playing and think it was a certain loss but not anymore.

1 more win should win this group now. Brilliant achievement!
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Declan is playing so well at the moment that the team can adapt to nearly any change to it, so long as he remains in the middle, pulling the strings.

Dawson and Diop had a decent outing.

It was good to see Johnson and Yarmo develop an understanding, which led to a regular outlet.

Cresswell is keeping to the very high standard he set for his performances last season.

Bowen was busy and smart (repeatedly allowing himself to take the nudges and kicks to win fks).

This squad has now played 12 matches this season:

We scored in the only two defeats, in games that were level in opportunity; we are unbeaten on the road, to date and our Europa record is spotless - 9 points, 7 goals and 3 clean sheets.

Really impressive and largely down to Declan's captaincy.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 807 likes
Total likes: 3023 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

A good professional performance last night against what amounts to the Belgian version of the Dog & Duck scratch XI. Genk were miles below the standard of what we play most weeks.

Rice barely broke sweat and was by far the games leading player, head, shoulders, torso and upper thigh above anyone else on the pitch.

Our keeper looks suspect beneath the high ball, and I reckon were Kevin Nolan still playing he would be eyeing up the opportunity of roughing him up a touch at corner kicks : I'm not sure British football will be for him.

Diop, despite his goal, failed to impress once again, I'm beginning to wonder how much he really wants it and consequently I doubt he will ever really make it. Still, Jose did chuck a one liner out about him, what, 3 years ago ? He's never tried to buy him though has he ?

Final word is on the Genk support : three sides we have played from Europe, three sides with choreographed dancing in their support. Strictly has much to answer for, but, please God, it never happens here.

P.s. Great moment for Danny Chesters last night : if he never kicks another ball as a pro, he's achieved more than pretty much any of us who contribute on this forum.

Hats off to the lad :muscle:
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9651 likes

Post by S-H »

prophet:marginal wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:49 am Declan is playing so well at the moment that the team can adapt to nearly any change to it, so long as he remains in the middle, pulling the strings.

Really impressive and largely down to Declan's captaincy.
I made a point of watching him closely last night.

He really was pulling the strings and dictating the play, he is an absolute monster of a player, isn't he.

Absolutely everywhere, he takes the ball from his opponent with such class, and with such ease, he brings the ball out of defence with such a swagger and confidence, his passing is purposeful, assured and positive.

He leads with authority, and has the complete trust of his teammates.

He is as close to a complete midfielder that you're likely to find in the modern game.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 257 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Heysel76 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:31 am Bowen looked like he was limping after the game
Think that was the effect of that guy stamping on his thigh, I should imagine
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

It's a shame that it's so difficult to qualify for Europe because I think any English side stands a great chance in European competition, especially at the moment. I'd say on paper, it looks far more realistic for us to win the Europa than the domestic League Cup.

I'm not sure who's supposed to challenge Spurs in the Conference League, even though they're fielding reserve sides and getting comfortably beat!
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

S-H wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:56 am I made a point of watching him closely last night.

He is as close to a complete midfielder that you're likely to find in the modern game.
Completely agree. He just seems to be getting steadily better, too.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1783 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Was travelling up to Inverness last night so jut watched the highlights on Youtube this morning -

Genk threatened two or three times and Areola , bless him came to our rescue from that ball pinged over the top , a tactic they tried more than once - they were only highlights but I thought Genk looked ok on occasion .

Was pretty sure I spotted Mr Pink celebrating after Dawson's goal but I read he was doing the EUMB with Graeme & Co. so it must have been his Doppleganger - 3-0 and another assured European performance - David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army !! :crest:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Genk were better than I expected, played some nice stuff at times.

Thought we started slowly but grew into the game, not sure 1 nil at HT was fair to them, but that's football and a sign of a team winning while not totally at it, will take that. Front four were a little hit & miss for me, but then they would bring in some beautiful passages of play, so much to be happy about moving forward. Genk had their moments, if they had their shooting boots on the game may have been harder, but they didn't so the 2nd half was a bit of a procession.

I can say as its pretty much usual now, solid, professional, some lovely bits of football are what we appear to be about now. Moyes/coaching staff/players are all at it, lovely stuff.

Lovely to see Chesters get on, was just about to leave as I was chappin last night and feeling a bit rough, but stayed as he came on, crowd were excellent with him, bigger cheer etc. fella must still be buzzing, happy days all round :scarfer:

Group stage almost done, knockout stages will be a different game, but lovely having one foot in the next round. Now, beat those ****ing melts on Sunday to round off a perfect week 8-)
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1414 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Estuary wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:23 am First calls job all round. Players currently not in the side get run outs. I expect to see some of the under 23's get game time once are mathematically sure of winning the group.
Am I right in thinking that one more win and we're guaranteed top of the group? Or do we need a win and other results to go to plan (like a Wien/Zagreb draw while we beat Genk)?
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 875 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Professional performance again. Not always at our best and a couple of good chances for Genk but we are unnervingly resilient and keep getting the job done.

Let’s hope we break the curse of losing straight after Thursday Europa matches.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

I thought Vlasic looked alright yesterday. Maybe he didn't look as good on the TV but his movement creating space was decent - he was lively and wanted the ball. I can see a player in there, much like Fornals when he first arrived.

Rice was again sublime, such a pleasure to watch this young man in our shirt. Lanzini showing nice touches whilst his quick feet and turn seem to have returned after that nasty injury. I'm also struggling to think of a better midfielder than Soucek who I've seen in the C&B who closes so many pass lanes before the sender even looks up at his options.

All in all, a good night although I thought Genk were terrible - lower Div 2 level if I'm honest. I'd expect Derby to give us a tougher game and we didn't have to get out of second gear. It was ****ing cold though!

Glad we didn't spend big money on that lump - he makes the touch of Marlon Martin look like Neymar's!
Last edited by PF. on Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Other than Corners and the like we do find it very difficult to score without Micky there to contribute.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

I thought of the three back up attackers, Yarmolenko looked the closest to the first team. Not everything he does comes off, but he always showed for the ball, always moved into space, and kept trying to make good things happen in the right areas of the pitch. He also seems to be putting in more of a shift. Lanzini and Vlasic were quieter but I thought Vlasic showed promise and he just needs a goal. I think the Europa is doing wonders for keeping the fringe players' heads up and working hard. Winning helps too!
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

hawkins_hammer wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:25 am I thought of the three back up attackers, Yarmolenko looked the closest to the first team. Not everything he does comes off, but he always showed for the ball, always moved into space, and kept trying to make good things happen in the right areas of the pitch. He also seems to be putting in more of a shift. Lanzini and Vlasic were quieter but I thought Vlasic showed promise and he just needs a goal. I think the Europa is doing wonders for keeping the fringe players' heads up and working hard. Winning helps too!
Agree most of that, I forgot to mention about Yarmo as he is getting a bit of stick on here, I think Moyes has got into him and he has responded well, working his nuts off, agree that not everything is coming off, but its not from a lack of trying and more importantly showing for the ball. Vlasic, think he just needs to relax a bit, there is a player in there, once he gets off the mark I think we will see more of the real Vlasic which I believe will put him in front of Yarmo in threatening a 1st team starting place.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 519 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

Comfortable win in the end. But a few scary moments in the first half.Genk were decent in the first 30 minutes and probably should of been in front before Dawsons goal.
Ito looked a good player. Not sure he’s a natural blonde though.
John Simkin
Has liked: 96 likes
Total likes: 54 likes

Post by John Simkin »

Scratchy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:41 pm Vlasic has started a lot slower than I thought but I'm still pretty sure there's a very good player in there somewhere.
Vlasic does not make mistakes but at the moment he plays too safe. Hopefully, he will start taking risks soon and we can see why Moyes bought him.