EL: West Ham Utd 3-0 Genk (21/10/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Bucksexile
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 127 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd vs Genk: match thread

Post by Bucksexile »

Totally in control! Whistle to whistle.

Professional, confident, assured, patient.

Great team performance.

Vlasic is really coming along, some of the work he did in tight spots, down the line, was superb. Another great signing from DM.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

YorksHammer wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:00 am Am I right in thinking that one more win and we're guaranteed top of the group? Or do we need a win and other results to go to plan (like a Wien/Zagreb draw while we beat Genk)?
Yes, depends on the other result, if we win and the other game is a draw it's done.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Tenbury wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:59 am A bridge too far perhaps??
Certainly deserved a :rofl:
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

John Simkin wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:49 am Vlasic does not make mistakes but at the moment he plays too safe. Hopefully, he will start taking risks soon and we can see why Moyes bought him.
Maybe Moyes has instructed him to play safe while he gets up to speed. :idea:
continental skills
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by continental skills »

Does anyone have the stats for Declan's passing last night? Didn't see him misplace a single one, must have been close to 100%
ammo
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by ammo »

continental skills wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:05 pm Does anyone have the stats for Declan's passing last night? Didn't see him misplace a single one, must have been close to 100%
Yep, I was thinking that too, a near 100% successful pass rate. I think he only lost possession once when the ball went out of play on the touchline in the first half? Other than that an absolute perfect performance. I'm too young to have watched Bobby Moore, first match in 1982 but I'd like to ask the older fans if watching Dec is like watching Bobby Moore in his prime, so assured and head and shoulders above the rest?
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Daniel1895 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:55 am More Prem League clubs are qualified for the CL than in other league, while the champions in minnow leagues like Scotland e.g. still have to go through qualification rounds.
England, Spain, Italy and Germany each have 4 clubs in the CL and they all start in the CL group stages. Due to Scotland's improved country coefficient, the champions of Scotland this year will start in the Champions League group stages next year.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

If anything the major leagues are overrepresented. The cash and draw of the big leagues has had a bad effect on important clubs like Ajax and Porto.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

continental skills wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:05 pm Does anyone have the stats for Declan's passing last night? Didn't see him misplace a single one, must have been close to 100%
75 attempted, 73 complete.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1162 likes
Total likes: 674 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

ammo wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:25 pm Yep, I was thinking that too, a near 100% successful pass rate. I think he only lost possession once when the ball went out of play on the touchline in the first half? Other than that an absolute perfect performance. I'm too young to have watched Bobby Moore, first match in 1982 but I'd like to ask the older fans if watching Dec is like watching Bobby Moore in his prime, so assured and head and shoulders above the rest?
Ammo, I said similar just after joining kumb last autumn. I started in 1962 and although I would be lying if said I remembered it all, Bobby was class from his early appearances. He wasn’t always a centre back either, playing midfield and full back on occasions. He was never quick, and certainly never chased the ball all over the pitch, but he could read the game and see a pass. Captain, but never ranted. Lead by example and a dreaded stare.

Once he was established leading up to 1965, he was always being chased by other clubs, predominantly London clubs although cloughie wanted him in the late sixties early seventies.

He always just ouzed class. Even on his off days he was the heart of the team.

Remind you of anyone?
👍
Last edited by Bond Holder 59 on Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Saw the Genk crowd arrive at Stratford International.

They were nearly all dressed from head to toe in black and I wondered a bit about having to walk through them, but they were a friendly lot and I look forward to going there.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

fjthegrey wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:57 pm 75 attempted, 73 complete.
Not good enough! :lol: :lol:
continental skills
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by continental skills »

Thanks!
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by clawhammer »

Doc H Ball wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:59 pm Saw the Genk crowd arrive at Stratford International.

They were nearly all dressed from head to toe in black and I wondered a bit about having to walk through them, but they were a friendly lot and I look forward to going there.
The Belgians are generally great. What has happened to the Belgian Irons ? I used to see them in the Millers when we were still at UP.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Bond Holder 59 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:59 pm He was never quick, and certainly never chased the ball all over the pitch, but he could read the game and see a pass. Captain, but never ranted. Lead by example and a dreaded stare.
👍
There's 2 things about Dec that remind me of Bobby Moore -

- when he's bringing the ball out of defence, the way he moves and can carry the ball and set up attacks

- and that he rarely loses possession

Dec has the bonus of being quite quick too :D
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

A-, room for improvement… :rofl:

He was immense again in a good overall team performance. Easy to point to this or that but just a decent match. On to the next one.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Albie Beck wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:39 pm There's 2 things about Dec that remind me of Bobby Moore -

- when he's bringing the ball out of defence, the way he moves and can carry the ball and set up attacks

- and that he rarely loses possession

Dec has the bonus of being quite quick too :D
But can he get in position to cut out a pass the opponent doesn't yet know he's going to make :winker:
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:12 pm

But can he get in position to cut out a pass the opponent doesn't yet know he's going to make :winker:
That's going to be one of the next steps :D

(if he can do that it will really be the second coming...)
Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

Doc H Ball wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:59 pm Saw the Genk crowd arrive at Stratford International.

My lad and his mate got into a conversation with a few Genk fans on the way to the ground. Said they were as sound as a pound.
Weirdy
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Weirdy »

Can I also add that watching Carlton Cole (comic genius) and Joe Cole was approaching Eric and Ernie levels on BT Sports TV interviews after the game 😂
⚒️