✍ Welcome Alphonse Areola

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Igor_E7
Has liked: 1509 likes
Total likes: 266 likes

Re: ✍ Alphonse Areola

Post by Igor_E7 »

He was spectacular tonight
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

MOTM. That one with his feet topped it off
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

His shot stopping is immense, great reach as well with his dives.

Still looks a bit iffy on corners and coming for the ball. Hopefully a comfort and familiarity thing.

Certainly has all the physical attributes to be top drawer for us.
Beedub
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Beedub »

We need to make his loan spell as comfortable for him as possible. He could be our next five to ten year keeper.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Billydinho wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:16 am His shot stopping is immense, great reach as well with his dives.

Still looks a bit iffy on corners and coming for the ball. Hopefully a comfort and familiarity thing.

Certainly has all the physical attributes to be top drawer for us.
He is a bit like a far better Randolph
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

His reactions and shot stopping and agility are exceptional. He has incredibly strong hands and wrists, if he gets his hand to the ball it’s most likely not going in. As others have said, he could work on commanding his areas and claiming high balls. He looked a bit roped in the Europa league matches but he showed his class today. The £11.5M option to make the signing permanent is starting to look cheap at twice the price.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

The more I see of him, the more I like. Fortunate to currently have 2 excellent Keepers between the sticks. Very healthy competition and back-up when the other one isn't playing.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Felt like that was the first real test for him – no-one would ever sniff at a series of clean sheets in a row but there really hasn't been much for him to do (and he's been lucky rather than good on a few occasions to retain that unblemished record). But he passed tonight with flying colours.

Can see now why a keeper was such an important investment in the summer – with the greatest respect, it's hard to imagine going through all these extra fixtures with Randolph in goal.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

He was absolutely fantastic last night...

Real quality
Overchuffed
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Overchuffed »

What a performance by this lad last night - won’t be long until he takes Fab’s place regularly I think.

Well played Nips ! (My new nickname for him!) :lol:
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Overchuffed wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:06 am Well played Nips ! (My new nickname for him!) :lol:
I don't get it?
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

That was certainly his first real test. As he hasn’t had too many ‘difficult’ saves to make. In the Rapid Vienna game he was practically smoking a cigar! But he certainly passed with flying colours last night! :newthumb: He pulled off some spectacular saves. Especially from that chance towards the end of the 2nd half.

To be fair there doesn’t seem much wrong with his shot stopping. Even with the criticism he has received that’s been one stick I’ve never seen the fans beat him with. And he certainly looks more of a ‘sweeper keeper’ than Fabianski does. The only question marks are simply over how he deals with crosses. As up until now Fabianski well and truly beats him in that department. And as good as Areola was last night, did he really have to deal with too many crosses? As good as Man City are that’s not their biggest strength. So he wasn’t really tested in that area. It’s the games against the likes of Burnley we’ll find out whether he can cope or not.

My MOTM for last night. If he and Fabianski can keep those solid performances up then we are incredibly lucky to have 2 very good goalkeepers.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

One thing I would say about last night was that there was ample opportunity for him to prove himself without him needing to try to ‘impress’.

Watched him a bit for Fulham and he can definitely improve on taking crosses but can’t help but think the attempts against Genk and Man Utd were driven by him trying too hard to impress as not convinced he came for those last year.

Still hope we make him perm at some point (and don’t end up trying to sign Sam Johnstone from Will Salthouses stable)
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

He was really good yesterday; looked pretty shaky against Genk, but was imperious against ManC; I feel a hell of a lot more confident about him now than last week!
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 410 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

If he keeps that up then signing him is a no brainer.
westlondonhammer

hammer1975 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:53 am Still hope we make him perm at some point (and don’t end up trying to sign Sam Johnstone from Will Salthouses stable)
Apparently he is on a 'minimum number of appearances and he signs' type deal. I can see us getting both to be honest. So far, having him as an alternative to Fab is becoming quite an important aspect of our 'making changes without weakening significantly' squad
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

westlondonhammer wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:43 pm Apparently he is on a 'minimum number of appearances and he signs' type deal. I can see us getting both to be honest. So far, having him as an alternative to Fab is becoming quite an important aspect of our 'making changes without weakening significantly' squad
Think it would be great to have two solid keepers. You may be right but given the noises from Fabianski about signing a one year extension I can’t see us having all three.

I’m really not a fan of Johnstone at all tbh

Hope you are well mate.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2362 likes

Post by Ozza »

Excellent performance, can’t remember, when was the last time we had two excellent keepers on the books?
westlondonhammer

hammer1975 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:15 pm Think it would be great to have two solid keepers. You may be right but given the noises from Fabianski about signing a one year extension I can’t see us having all three.

I’m really not a fan of Johnstone at all tbh

Hope you are well mate.
Agreed. Given Johnstone is on a free, he would be a good 2IC to Areola but I'd be more hesitant as anything more (i.e. instead of Areola). Not heard the Fabianski talk... would certainly not be opposed to him staying another season the way he is playing. I'm with you on it making no sense to have all 3.

All good on my side mate, I hope you are well to.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Might he get a chance of a league start this weekend?