CCR4: West Ham Utd 0-0 (5-3 pens) Manchester City (27/10/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd vs Manchester City: match thread

Post by funky chicken »

So we’ve missed so many of our penalties since the turn of the year. And yet manage to score all 5 against Man City in a penalty shoot out. Can you get any more West Ham than that!? :D
Moore_please
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by Moore_please »

Congrats to you and your family FJ. Does it get any better? I wouldn't think so.
Wow, what a week you've had.
Coops
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 588 likes

Post by Coops »

I'm still buzzing this morning and prepared to eat humble pie, because I genuinely thought the wheels would come off when I saw the team sheet. But we fought hard to a man, Moyes has instilled something in the players, a desire and fight that makes them better as individuals and stronger together as a team.
Moyes is the real deal, probably the best manager we have had in my lifetime.

Areola was probably MOTM but for me Johnson was the stand out player. As much as I love Vlad I don't think he should be jumping back in ahead of young Ben. What a great problem to have and what a fantastic prospect he is.

Big congrats to FJ you will remember this week for the rest of your life.

:crest:
Last edited by Coops on Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 472 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Yeah it was only a league cup penalty win in round of 16...but what Moyes' squad is doing is creating moments and memories for the fans...tangible things we can remember with pride...
ChikinRun
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by ChikinRun »

‘A fantastic team, a fantastic manager.’
Pep Guardiola
:thup:
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 330 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Aceface wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:29 am Only seven fouls combined and no cards across the entire 90 last night. Either a game played in great spirit by both teams, or everyone is a bit half-arsed because it's 'just' the League Cup. Or bit of both?
7 fouls..that is a staggering stat. Literally fair play to MC.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

It says something about this team that my only concern about them scoring with all the players in the box was an own-goal or a lucky deflection.

The five penalties were immense.

An amazing night.
Devils Advocate
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Devils Advocate »

I was due to be in hospital yesterday to have 2 wisdom teeth out, meaning I would miss the game, but the op was postponed on Tuesday as the surgeon was ill. I'd already booked my ticket before I knew the date for the op, but although I thought that usually watching us play Man City in recent years has been a bit like having teeth pulled, I'll go to the game, as should we pull off a "shock" result, it'll be one of those nights that'll be remembered for many years to come. And so it proved - so glad the op was postponed and I could be there to savour the moment.

Defensively we were magnificent I thought. OK Citeh missed a couple of chances they should probably have netted, but then so did we. For all their possesion Citeh didn't really create many clear-cut opportunities. And when they did get shots on target, Areola stopped them all, including a couple out of the top drawer. You can expect Dawson to put his body on the line for the cause, but so did Issa, who looks a completely different beast to the one that was faltering so badly last year. Johnson too had a great game I thought.

I hate penalty shoot-outs, I get so tense watching them, but well done to the 5 that stepped up to take them.

I don't care who we get in the next round - you know that any opposition will know that they will have a tough game on their hands against us.

COYI :hammc:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2677 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

woodford wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:09 am did make me smile. Grealish had a face like a chicken being stared at by Colonel Sanders

:grin:
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2603 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

What a team performance, still buzzing after watching one of the best 0-0 draws I have ever seen. We were compact and solid in the middle of the park, everyone playing for the team and each other.

FJ - congratulations mate! My son was born a couple of days before we beat City in the cup, in 1998. I somehow think the fortunes of following West Ham will be somewhat brighter for your son, than it has been for mine!!
anjado
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by anjado »

Incredible performance I'm so proud of the team it's amazing the turn around. Every player to a man was faultless when I saw our lineup and their lineup I feared the worst but that was an amazing performance I still can't believe it just amazing and so proud of the team we have.
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

There's something incredibly pleasing about a penalty shootout win after we'd worked seriously hard all game to keep them out. 5 good pens but hats off to Dawson for taking penalty 3 in particular. Lovely job all round.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

When is the draw for the next round ? and I couldn't give a rat's arse who we get
hammer1975
Has liked: 978 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Puff Daddy wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:30 am When is the draw for the next round ? and I couldn't give a rat's arse who we get
Saturday morning on Soccer am Puff

Matches to be played w/c 20th Dec (between Norwich and Soton at home I think)
irving boleyn
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Was that our first Shoot Out since the Final against Liverpool?

15 years ago.

Light years ago in performance.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

irving boleyn wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:03 am Was that our first Shoot Out since the Final against Liverpool?

15 years ago.

ackneyhammer
Has liked: 1867 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by ackneyhammer »

The thing that stands out most to me is that the coaching is taking these players forward so much. I can't think of a player we have signed in the last 18 months that hasn't improved in some way. We are not buying "ready made" players so much as buying team players that we can bring on. And good people to boot. This is a team that is easy to like as well as just support if you get what i mean.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1408 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

S-H wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:09 am Image
Probably my second favourite modern West Ham memory, after Reid's goal on that last night at the Boleyn.

I still fancy Adrian.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Aceface wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:29 am Only seven fouls combined and no cards across the entire 90 last night. Either a game played in great spirit by both teams, or everyone is a bit half-arsed because it's 'just' the League Cup. Or bit of both?
My opinion is that there was some outstanding tackling. Quite a few slide tackles that were well timed, but generally both teams did well standing ground and not going in too quick.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3177 likes
Total likes: 2316 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

irving boleyn wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:03 am Was that our first Shoot Out since the Final against Liverpool?

15 years ago.

Adrian would like a word!