January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

fmgod wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:38 pm
19/20 one goal 0 assists
He made 9 Premier League starts that season and 0 before he joined us. His time with us was the first time he'd got a proper run in the team for nearly 2 years. There's no guarantee he does produce the same numbers, but using previous seasons where he barely played isn't really the best argument against it.

17/18, where he produced some decent figures he started 20 Premier League games...a lot more involved.
norse
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 835 likes

Post by norse »

Only thing that matters is to keep Rice. Goes for the next one as well. I hate transfer windows
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

RayleighIrons wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:45 pm That is a very strong prediction. :shock:
I've been wrong before. :crylol:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Is this poor form suggestion for Benrahma all that fair?

I thought he put in a hard-running shift against Villa, personally.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

prophet:marginal wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:52 pm Is this poor form suggestion for Benrahma all that fair?

I think he's been very good this season.

He's effectively learning on the job, playing a completely different game, to the one he has built his career on.

I like him, I like what he gives for the team, i like what he offers in terms of energy and commitment, we've seen glimpses of his talent sprinkled in with that hard work and industry, give it time, and like Pablo will be one of the first names on the teamsheet.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

Xabbu wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:38 pm He did I bet his Xg vs Goals scored is unbalanced but he found himself in striking situations playing for us that I’ve not seen him in for Man U. He’s always scored goals like the one against us this season, not seen him score many for them like he did for us last year. He suits us more than them and we shouldn’t be turning our noses up at that kind of quality if we can get at the right price
I didn't say we shouldn't sign him. I just don't think that expecting him to average 20 goals if he plays 38 games is reasonable.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

prophet:marginal wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:52 pm Is this poor form suggestion for Benrahma all that fair?

His overall contribution to the team effort is exemplorary. What many of us want to see, is a few more goals from him
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Benny is doing his best. That’s all you can ask really.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

S-H wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:28 pm We wouldn't be signing Lingard just to fill in for 3 games, though, would we, York?

If
we sign him, it's because we know the quality he will add to the side.

I personally don't think we will sign him, Newcastle will definitely throw stupid money at him.

Intrigued to see who we go after, now that the head of recruitment is in place.
I know we wouldn't but this whole 'Benrahma's going to the AFCON, we have to sign someone in his position' is just a false thing to think. We have the players to cover that role in the squad already.

I've got to be honest, the only thing I can hand on heart say we lack right now in the squad is - still - an alternative to Antonio. Otherwise it's about maybe striking for a young left back, but then we have Longelo (?) coming through who we have some expectations for, I believe.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:07 pm Benny is doing his best. That’s all you can ask really.
We're not criticising him, we know what he carries in his locker. We just want to see it. We will eventually
Xabbu
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Xabbu »

EvilC wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:00 pm I didn't say we shouldn't sign him. I just don't think that expecting him to average 20 goals if he plays 38 games is reasonable.
I agree he’s a 10 goal man at best but 3 ten goal men and a some from the subs plus a 15-20 goal striker is very good imho
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

7 goals or assists in all comps. about a quarter of the way through the season. On target for about 25.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1523 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Sometimes players just turn up at your club and bring with them a combination or ability, confidence and desire. And not only do they perform, but they bring the best out in those around them.

Tevez when he got his head on did it, Song did it, Payet did it, Lingard did it.

Kingard in a West Ham shirt not only brings pace, drive and control, but he also makes lots of space for Antonio and Bowen. Right now we have spent the season grinding out goals (prior to Villa). Antonio is playing well, but hasn't quite reached the levels. Lingard suits the system so well because if a team doesn't deal with him, he can carry the ball forward 30 yards with pace. If a team focuses on him, suddenly you have Antonio and Bowen in space.

I agree with FMGod that it's unlikely that he will rediscover the form he found here, but he's absolutely someone who we should absolutely try and bring in if we can. Imagine the bounce in squad quality if we were to swap Lingard in or Yarmolenko.
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by JonG86 »

Puff Daddy wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:11 pm We're not criticising him, we know what he carries in his locker. We just want to see it. We will eventually
He's currently scoring a goal every 3 games and getting an assist every 3 games. That's a pretty ****ing good return tbh.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 178 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

wivenhoetim wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:48 pm but also think Origi should be considered-
Every window this donkey gets trotted out as a potential target - what is the attraction of him? Every time I've seen him play, he's been garbage in a dominant team - what am I missing?
SullySpecial
Has liked: 263 likes
Total likes: 648 likes

Post by SullySpecial »

Lingard would come in on big money. He would want to be our top earner, and he’d want a long term deal. It’s a big financial risk, especially on a player who has been out of MU’s starting XI for the last few seasons, and went months on end without even stepping foot on the pitch.

He had 6 months with us, and had a solid couple of matches back at MU earlier this season, including the screamer against us. Let’s not forget there was also a pretty significant dip in his form during that 6 month period with us.

Anyway, it’s immaterial. He’s going to end up at Newcastle on £300k a week.
likemydreams
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by likemydreams »

exactly what think , hes changed his game to suit the team although i do wish hes try crossing with hid left sometimes instead of cutting in
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2411 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Not fair at all mate. His numbers are excellent with and without the ball. Work rate unquestionable.

There’s a strange mis-perception of him on here from some.

I do agree there’s more in his locker but that’s a positive not a negative.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1519 likes
Total likes: 3183 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

It’s a little harsh, but it’s also cutthroat. And that’s what sport is.

Benny is doing better and better off the ball, thought he was the best defender of the attackers early on in the game and the only one making an effort to get up to them.

But his play on the ball has dipped quite a bit.

There are fair reasons for and against signing Lingard, that is for sure
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Aaron Hickey is the left back we should be earmarking as the succession plan for Cresswell, by the way.

Such a good fit for us. Surely Moyes knows all about him.