EL: Genk 2-2 West Ham Utd (04/11/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Re: ⚽ Genk vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by prophet:marginal »

Has made some 'showreel' saves, but I think he is still settling at a new club.

Think he is destined for big things personally.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

hammer1975 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:07 pm So, Areola.....

At first watch I felt he should have done better with the first. On re-watch - he was an inch or two away from it being a fantastic save. I think he was showing Paintsil the near post so had his weight on the wrong foot.
He then made two good saves from headers, and shut down the angle and stood up well when Paintsil had the counter which he squared to Ito (which may have been a factor in the Ito miss)
Not much chance with the Soucek own goal

Still not sure on him tbh, still not first choice to me, but also not one of the worst performers tonight.
Did not do too bad but still not first choice over Fab. Better reserve than Randolph though and likely to improve.

Would worry if Arthur, Noble or Diop had to play any extended time in the PL. Not seen enough of Kral to judge.
Beedub
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Beedub »

Could’ve won, could’ve lost…. Europe wasn’t meant to be this easy so it’s not the end of the world.

Positives

Lanzini getting back to his best, going to be a real asset as the season kicks on

Benny, amazing performance well played.

Coufal got some minutes, clearly short of a gallop he will only get better for playing meaningful minutes.

Aerola, Centre metres away from pulling off a great one on one save, he does that any every is calling him a beast. Some great close range saves. Behind Fab for now but a more than handy replacement.

Negatives

Noble, has been ok this year but relies on to many things going right to perform. An opposition looking to move the ball quick like genk made him look like a statue. Lost almost every single 50/50 he was involved in.
In possession he just constantly slows the play down bringing it to his pace, simple ground balls he would chip to the teammate or hit at a snail pace. Instinct was backwards every single time.
We were also back to him being on some corners and playing them short as well as floated soft free kicks.

Masuaku is a square peg in a round hole. His not a left back, his not AML. More interested in style points than actually winning a game of football, happy for him to be moved on in January

Diop had a shocker. Has been so good all season but these one off shockers where he just isn’t at the races is why he is fourth in line CB. Moyes must lack trust in him.
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

Kialos wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:07 pmThanks to covid I was sat on my arse in front of the TV instead of being out in Genk.
On the plus side you've still got all of your fingers..
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

That first 20/30 mins, was like having the old West Ham back, hello old friend :lol:

Genk should have really put us to bed in that time, but then we could have scored 2 late in the half, after the subs we pretty much dominated, game could have been 5-5, cracking match contributed to by both teams, can't argue with a draw really, great entertainment.

Some of our lot had mares last night, haven't said that very often this season! It happens, but I'm sure it also made Moyes think come Feb Euro knockout, if we want to keep progressing the 1st team, or close to it will need to be playing.

Loving Europe :scarfer:
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

Eurostar was lively and ramped up as we got closer to Genk. Hard to read the game from lower tier but thought we could've been dead and buried by half time. Gutted for Soucek
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Quite a few arrested last night after the game. Old bill attacked and West Ham fought back. Video going around of it
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

Great result, hopefully no injuries, we've qualified and barring a major f*** up we'll win the group

Some will find fault no doubt, but we are yet to be given the divine right to turn up and beat everything in front of us. Well pleased for Benny
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

woodford wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:30 am Great result, hopefully no injuries, we've qualified and barring a major f*** up we'll win the group

Some will find fault no doubt, but we are yet to be given the divine right to turn up and beat everything in front of us. Well pleased for Benny
:thup:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Well that was an interesting game of football.

We were all over the place first 20 minutes or so. Wide open spaces through the middle of the park. Where was our midfield? Has Noble finally got to the point where he can't keep up with the game? Sadly perhaps that's what we've just witnessed. I can't see him playing in Europe any more barring the last game hopefully being a dead rubber for us.

Still, I thought Genk were good. They were good at our place and were unlucky to lose 3-0. Super Jonny Pa(i)ntsill was a revelation up front. Another one for the "players that changed position" thread. Their lad in midfield Ito looked lively too.

Second half we grew into it. Benrahma fantastic. What a goal for the winner. That's what we want from him - that moment of magi. Imagine if he did that vs the dippers? The pundits would be creaming themselves just like they would if Mo Salad had scored it, wouldn't they? Wouldn't they?

A draw was probably a fair result. Desperately harsh on Potato Salad though. With hindsight you can say he shouldn't be trying to head the ball from that angle outside of the post, but you can't blame him for trying to stick his oversized swede in front of it.

Still, 4 games in Europe, unbeaten and comfortably top of the group, qualified for at least the playoffs and on the verge of the knockouts with two games to spare. Not bad at all.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

We should've scored one or two more. Rice a fraction too late to anticipate the lose ball on the goal line in the first bald. Antonio should've rolled it across in any case and Dawson with that far post header in the second
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

:heart:
Bond Holder 59 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:52 pm Not read much in this thread about Arthur’s contribution tonight. I wasn’t that impressed, but I can be too picky. What do others think?
He put one great ball in the first half to Benrhama but didn't really get into the game much

I don't think he will play much this season and will leave next summer, which is a shame
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1162 likes
Total likes: 674 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

r99c wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:00 pm Not good, but to be expected when he was literally the only player in the XI who has had barely any game time whatsoever this season.
Fair enough. He seemed to run into tight spaces a lot, and then loose the ball. He’s always been less than perfect at getting back, but when we made the substitutions it really exposed what had been happening in the first half.

Good decision making by Moyes and the coaching team re who and when to substitute. I remember some posting on subs in the past.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I know we're not Man U or Liverpool in terms of reach and popularity, but does anyone have any idea why both Zagreb and Genk only sold about 50% of home seats, for our matches?
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Masuaku is just an odd player, full stop.

All the skill in the world in some aspects of the game and yet can’t shoot or create to save his life.

I did once wonder if, in an effort to find something for him to do about the place, he should have a go as a number 10 in some of the cup games, since his strength on the ball is slipping short passes through tight areas rather than long passes or whipping in crosses from wide areas. I can see how that could work playing in behind a striker like Bowen who makes the right runs - but that has a 50/50 chance of either working or being the most woefully misguided suggestion ever seen on the internet.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Arthur, has the look of a man who knows he's probably not needed/looking to be replaced, and it reflects in his brief appearances this year.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

For me, misguided Ace, not sure he has those No.10 attributes.

Agree he is a strange one, there have been more than a few times where he makes you go "wow", and "oh no" when he inside our box trying to defend...

Possibly effort, Moyes demands everything, maybe that could be the issue?? Has he played much under Moyes in the 2nd coming? My memory is shocking for stuff like that.

I am though still in the camp that he has a big part to play for us, his crossing/skill is there at times, think though he needs to prove to Moyes he wants it like pretty much every other player has proved to him - possibly, as Arthur's case is a strange one.
3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by 3times »

Quite a few arrested last night after the game. Old bill attacked and West Ham fought back. Video going around of it

Not sure where this happened as we were on the last 2 coaches to leave the ground, didn't see anything. There was apparently an altercation before the game (heard a petrol bomb was thrown) but didn't hear too much about it out there.

We went back to Brussels after the game so could have been something in Genk town centre or Hasselt.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

prophet:marginal wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:15 am I know we're not Man U or Liverpool in terms of reach and popularity, but does anyone have any idea why both Zagreb and Genk only sold about 50% of home seats, for our matches?
Possibly covid? Not all stadiums abroad are allowed full capacity.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

sendô wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:32 am Well that was an interesting game of football.

We were all over the place first 20 minutes or so. Wide open spaces through the middle of the park. Where was our midfield? Has Noble finally got to the point where he can't keep up with the game? Sadly perhaps that's what we've just witnessed. I can't see him playing in Europe any more barring the last game hopefully being a dead rubber for us.
I’m not sure Noble would have coped with that pace and intensity at any point of his career so I wouldn’t read too much into it!

They came out with a point to prove and we struggled to get to grips with it early on. It is easy to pick out individuals, but the system and personnel were wrong and Moyes has to take his share of the blame for that.

We know where the weak points are and they made the most of it. A great fight back though and really pleased for Benny who was quality.