✍ Welcome Alphonse Areola

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Re: ✍ Alphonse Areola

Post by hammer1975 »

I posted this in the match thread last night:

So, Areola.....

At first watch I felt he should have done better with the first. On re-watch - he was an inch or two away from it being a fantastic save. I think he was showing Paintsil the near post so had his weight on the wrong foot.
He then made two good saves from headers, and shut down the angle and stood up well when Paintsil had the counter which he squared to Ito (which may have been a factor in the Ito miss)
Not much chance with the Soucek own goal

Still not sure on him tbh, still not first choice to me, but also not one of the worst performers tonight.

Think he was probably two inches (or width of a post) away from everyone saying he had a really good game.

Fine margins and all that. Fwiw - I’m not so sure Fab would have saved either of the goals last night either.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

think he was unlucky with the 1st goal as Hammer1975 said - an inch away from being a great save

Dont think hes ready to take over from Fab just yet though as Fab has definitely improved - but reckon he will be next year
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Yes, whether he should’ve done better with the 1st goal or not he has certainly looked more convincing since the Man City game. After Benrahma I would’ve gone as far to say he was my MOTM last night.

It must be tough for a goalkeeper to play 1 week and not play again until the next cup game. I do wonder sometimes if he was given the chance to play consecutive League games whether he would settle in a lot easier. I remember when Adrian joined us in his first few games he was given a chance he also let some debatably soft goals in. But once he permanently came in for Jaaskelainen he was fine. But the problem is that’s not going to happen anytime soon. As Fabianski, for now, doesn’t deserve to be dropped.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 258 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

hammer1975 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:08 am Fwiw - I’m not so sure Fab would have saved either of the goals last night either.
No. But I think he would have saved both of ours! Their goalie was lousy in both matches.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

funky chicken wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:53 am So, what was everyone’s thoughts on Genk’s opening goal last night? Should Alphonse have saved it? Or was he a little bit unlucky with his positioning?

I personally thought he should’ve saved it. And it was a shame. As other than that I thought for the 2nd game running he had a very good game. He pulled off some great saves in the 1st half and I thought he even handled the crosses a little bit better. He stayed on his line for any he believed he wouldn’t get to and managed to punch out the crosses he could reach.
We'd have been three or four down at half time if he hadn't been at his best. An excellent performance.
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 70 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

I think a lot has been said about Zouma and Diop being the next big French defence.

I think we all need to add Alphonse in there as well.

Great promise, unlucky with both last night I felt. He’s a great keeper in the making and I think we’re lucky with both him and Fabianski!

Allez les blues and :hamm:
Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

What's his overall record now in regards to games played, clean sheets & goals let in etc.

Cheers
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4743 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Shabu wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:23 pm What's his overall record now in regards to games played, clean sheets & goals let in etc.

Cheers
2 goals conceded, clean sheets against Genk, Vienna, Man City, Man Utd and Vienna again.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:32 pm 2 goals conceded, clean sheets against Genk, Vienna, Man City, Man Utd and Vienna again.
'Kin 'ell. That's a pretty good CV thus far, innit?
Bubbles Fortuna

-DL- wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:17 pm 'Kin 'ell. That's a pretty good CV thus far, innit?
Not bad at all! Hoping he continues it in the League Cup next round.
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Didn’t have much to do tonight but his distribution was pretty decent - noticed him helping to get a few attacks going with smart balls out a few times.
funky chicken

Post by funky chicken »

It certainly feels weird having a goalkeeper that can pick out his own player from a goal kick! I’ll have to get use to that! :D

Yes, it wasn’t his most difficult evening. Especially as he had no crosses to deal with really. But he certainly didn’t put a foot wrong. Since the Man City game he has looked a lot more relaxed.
Chadwell Chief
Has liked: 48 likes
Total likes: 29 likes

Post by Chadwell Chief »

I’ll be gutted if AA isn’t our long-term #1 tbh. Even before he came to West Ham I liked him, even when he was a bit dodgy at PSG you could see the potential.

I just hope he stays, getting a straight up inferior goalkeeper like Johnstone would wind me up.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:32 pm 2 goals conceded, clean sheets against Genk, Vienna, Man City, Man Utd and Vienna again.
With (generally) the 3rd and 4th choice Centre halves in front of him as well!
funky chicken

Post by funky chicken »

I’ll be interesting to see whether Moyes keeps Areola in goal for the knockout matches, or whether he’ll go with Fabianski. Moyes doesn’t judge me as a manager that believes in goalkeepers for Cups and goalkeepers for League games. He’s proven that already this season with Fabianski playing against Zagreb. But we paid a big loan fee and Areola is on high wages. So we equally need to justify having him here.
Bubbles Fortuna

funky chicken wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:38 pm I’ll be interesting to see whether Moyes keeps Areola in goal for the knockout matches, or whether he’ll go with Fabianski. Moyes doesn’t judge me as a manager that believes in goalkeepers for Cups and goalkeepers for League games. He’s proven that already this season with Fabianski playing against Zagreb. But we paid a big loan fee and Areola is on high wages. So we equally need to justify having him here.
I'd assume he'll stick with Areola.

There isn't much, if any, of a drop off between the two. It's not like the gap between Randolph and Fabianski where I'd want Fab in as soon as possible, Areola has already kept clean sheets against both Manchester Clubs.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:12 pm I'd assume he'll stick with Areola.

There isn't much, if any, of a drop off between the two. It's not like the gap between Randolph and Fabianski where I'd want Fab in as soon as possible, Areola has already kept clean sheets against both Manchester Clubs.
Yeah, Areola is actually better for me. An agreement is clearly in place between the pair.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Didn't have to work that hard for it but can't quibble with 6 clean sheets in 9 games for the big fella. And a brilliant early ball out to Antonio to lead up to the first goal.

I've still got this niggling thought in my head that bringing him in for Fabianski would have saved us 4/5 goals over the season so far.
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by ChzMff »

Why?
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

ChzMff wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:06 pmWhy?
Call it a hunch. It's not that Fab is making obvious errors but I just have a feeling a younger guy would have made a better fist of a few attempted saves.