West Ham Utd 3-2 Liverpool (06/11/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

SiamHammer
Has liked: 1076 likes
Total likes: 199 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Liverpool: match thread

Post by SiamHammer »

stu1 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:12 pm His character is probably more summed up by the charitable fund he set up for the nhs during covid. I know in football it’s easy to think every opposing player is a ****, but Henderson clearly is not.

He obviously made a mistake and thought Ogbonna was ****ing it (hardly an unusual event on a football pitch these days), as soon as he realised his error he looks pretty set on apologising despite being told to go away.
Totally agree with you here, he realised his mistake and made a point of apologising more than once
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

stu1 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:35 pm Yep won two corners where he couldn’t get past VVD one on one, that is clutching at straws if that’s considered a loss for VVD.

No doubt Antonio impacted the game and he kept VVD honest which better than most strikers, but not once did he manage to skin VVD so let’s not be revisionary.

We scored three times past a defender left isolated by his inattentive colleagues.

He gave away two of the corners and was exposed by the running on the goal that came from open play.

We won the corners off him.

Antonio will look back on that game with more contentedness than VVD, without needing to 'skin him' and score from the chance himself.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

SiamHammer wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:14 am Totally agree with you here, he realised his mistake and made a point of apologising more than once
Do you not see him watch Jota elbow him in the face from about 5 yards away?

He got caught out falsely labelling someone a liar. Of course he's going to make a show of apologising afterwards.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

TBF. they'd have been better off playing Nat Phillips.

We had three corners - scored twice and hit the bar on the other one. That is close to perfect from our perspective and abysmal from theirs .

We also countered them at least 7 or 8times and that was the catalyst for the three goals, whilst some loose control from both Antonio and Bowen scuffed up the first half chances.

For all their possession, very little was threatening. Fabianski did virtually nothing until they brought Origi on. Have to say he was quite good, better than the three who started up top for them.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
hammer1975
Has liked: 978 likes
Total likes: 1154 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Agree with that Bubbs. Origi looked surprisingly mobile and did well a couple of times with his back to goal. Certainly made me think twice having dismissed him as a decent option previously.

Hope you particularly enjoyed it - as, if I recall correctly, you have some nearest and dearest who support Liverpool.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4269 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

TAA is simultaneously one of the best attacking threats in world football and one of the worst defensive liabilities.

Problem is Trent, you're a full back.

Thanks for the three points you muppet. But at least you got to give it bigun in front of the fans after the free kick, so we're sort of both winners?
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

So, Rondons kick to Souceks face, Hauses WWE clothesline of Fornals and Jotas elbow to Ogbonnas face yielded a total of two free kicks and one yellow card...can you imagine the outcry if one of the Big Clubs had this happen to their players?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

hammer1975 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:19 am Agree with that Bubbs. Origi looked surprisingly mobile and did well a couple of times with his back to goal. Certainly made me think twice having dismissed him as a decent option previously.

Hope you particularly enjoyed it - as, if I recall correctly, you have some nearest and dearest who support Liverpool.
Cheers mate, you have remembered right :lol:

Nice to be able to just sit there and smile as the wibble about Cresswell's tackling starts or a load of old pony about "Trent". :rofl:

If there's one game I really want to win or at least not lose, it's this one.
Estuary
Has liked: 369 likes
Total likes: 138 likes

Post by Estuary »

prophet:marginal wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:08 am Do you not see him watch Jota elbow him in the face from about 5 yards away?

He got caught out falsely labelling someone a liar. Of course he's going to make a show of apologising afterwards.
I think its a deeper darker exposition PM. Liverpool "game" the ref from the first to last whistle, Sala and Mane diving, imploring the ref to give cards, Jota leaving a foot in, pulling back opponents that beat him, throwing an elbow (this isn't the first instance, I think he already has a red for it) defenders holding and shirt pulling at corners, blocking runs, the full menu of trying to push the limits around the ref, as a result Henderson automatically thinks Oggy is "at it" because that is what they do 100% of the time.

Its what "top" teams expect to get away with.
Estuary
Has liked: 369 likes
Total likes: 138 likes

Post by Estuary »

Denbighammer wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:29 am So, Rondons kick to Souceks face, Hauses WWE clothesline of Fornals and Jotas elbow to Ogbonnas face yielded a total of two free kicks and one yellow card...can you imagine the outcry if one of the Big Clubs had this happen to their players?
I was thinking the same earlier while listening to a West Ham podcast on the train.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2687 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Going back to the 1st goal -

Why was it given as an Own Goal ??

Was it because Alisson managed to get his fingertips to the ball ?

His efforts did not change the flight of the ball - he didn't throw it into his own net ala Gary Sprake - there was no way on God's Earth that this should have gone down as an own goal - looks to be a spiteful attempt at taking away a perfectly good goal by Pablo Fornals for whatever reason they came up with .

Alisson got more on Pablo's second goal yet it gets given to the West Ham man .

Very strange .
London Fields Hammer
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by London Fields Hammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:30 am Going back to the 1st goal -

His efforts did not change the flight of the ball - he didn't throw it into his own net ala Gary Sprake - there was no way on God's Earth that this should have gone down as an own goal - looks to be a spiteful attempt at taking away a perfectly good goal by Pablo Fornals for whatever reason they came up with .

Very strange .
I agree. On that basis the Fornals goal was an OG because Alisson got a hand on it but it went in.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9650 likes

Post by S-H »

It's harsh on Pablo, but if you look at this view, Alisson clearly changed the direction of the ball, diverting it into the net, if he hadn't of touched it, it probably would've gone out of play, if it's not on target and the GK touches it, then it's an OG.

1:38 in

0:35 in

For Pablo's legitimate goal, the ball was on target before the keeper touched it, so it can't be an own goal.
Last edited by S-H on Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
jam.je.suis

Post by jam.je.suis »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:30 am Going back to the 1st goal -

Very strange .
My memory is hazy but wasn't Van Dyke on the back post. Maybe they thought that the current trajectory of the ball would have taken it to VD and be cleared.
hammer1975
Has liked: 978 likes
Total likes: 1154 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:38 am Cheers mate, you have remembered right :lol:

Nice to be able to just sit there and smile as the wibble about Cresswell's tackling starts or a load of old pony about "Trent". :rofl:

If there's one game I really want to win or at least not lose, it's this one.
Lol, hope you get full value enjoyment out of it mate
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2687 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

S-H wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:50 am It's harsh on Pablo, but if you look at this view, Alisson clearly changed the direction of the ball, diverting it into the net, if he hadn't of touched it, it probably would've gone out of play, if it's not on target and the GK touches it, then it's an OG.

1:38 in

0:35 in

For Pablo's legitimate goal, the ball was on target before the keeper touched it, so it can't be an own goal.

Can't access your second video , mate and unfortunately I've scrubbed the game off my Sky Q as I needed the space [ I did watch the game 3 times before deleting it :grin: ] -

I'll take your word for it that Alisson changed the trajectory of the ball but I was convinced it would have gone in had he not touched it . :newthumb:
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1171 likes
Total likes: 681 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

I’m old, and often confused, but are we now saying they have officially taken the second goal off Fournals and declared it an OG?

Or the first goal, corner taken by Fournals, was originally given as OG and still is?
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9650 likes

Post by S-H »

Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1171 likes
Total likes: 681 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

Bond Holder 59 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:20 am I’m old, and often confused, but are we now saying they have officially taken the second goal off Fournals and declared it an OG?

Or the first goal, corner taken by Fournals, was originally given as OG and still is?
Ah…thanks s-h. I’ve got to get new batteries.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3190 likes
Total likes: 2329 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Denbighammer wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:29 am So, Rondons kick to Souceks face, Hauses WWE clothesline of Fornals and Jotas elbow to Ogbonnas face yielded a total of two free kicks and one yellow card...can you imagine the outcry if one of the Big Clubs had this happen to their players?
Who got carded? I didn't think any of them did.