January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

The Straw wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:28 pm Keep seeing Brereton's name mentioned. Is this based purely on his numbers the last year? Regardless of that from what I've seen of him he just doesn't look like he's at the level required at all. What have I missed?
We haven't signed a random South American striker in a while. Sully must be getting itchy fingers.

Moyes loves a British player taking a step up from the Championship.

It's a perfect storm!
The Straw
Has liked: 550 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by The Straw »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:55 pm We haven't signed a random South American striker in a while. Sully must be getting itchy fingers.

Moyes loves a British player taking a step up from the Championship.

It's a perfect storm!
:crylol: Brilliant. Sod it, i'm doing a 180. Sign him up!
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

2 more for Brereton tonight, 16 goals in 19 appearances this season, and still only 22.

He's a no brainer.
The Straw

Post by The Straw »

Looks technically quite weak and also looks to have zero pace. What apart from the goals record interests you about his play? Genuine question? Just doesn't look like a good fit.
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

Mowbray said this about him before his brace tonight:

He’s a brilliant kid, I just like working with Ben because he’s such a nice kid, he’s so humble, so hardworking and honest for the team.

“You could be a Chilean international playing with (Alexis) Sanchez and (Arturo) Vidal and come back what you might call in football terms ‘big time’ but he’s so grounded.

“It’s amazing how hard he works for this team and he gets the reward of scoring the goals and it’s fantastic for Ben and the team that he helped us get a point.”

Sounds to me like a Moyes type of player.
Still don't think he has signed a new contract so we wouldn't need to fork out silly money.
We need a striker.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

I think we are still thinking small time. With Kretinsky and Horsky on board, between them, Tripp and Sullivan, they have as much if not more combined wealth, and more cash flow than Tottenham and Arsenal, not much less than Chelsea. I am by no means suggesting that we will or should spend like Chelsea or Man U, but we should be able to compete on all fronts with our other London Rivals plus the likes of Leicester and Villa financially, and for that matter pretty much any other club save the top 6 or7 in the world. We aren’t going to spend £150m a year, but we should be in our position to give Rice the contract he deserves and sign if not world class players, the tier below.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Peaches wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:45 am I think we are still thinking small time. With Kretinsky and Horsky on board, between them, Tripp and Sullivan, they have as much if not more combined wealth, and more cash flow than Tottenham and Arsenal, not much less than Chelsea. I am by no means suggesting that we will or should spend like Chelsea or Man U, but we should be able to compete on all fronts with our other London Rivals plus the likes of Leicester and Villa financially, and for that matter pretty much any other club save the top 6 or7 in the world. We aren’t going to spend £150m a year, but we should be in our position to give Rice the contract he deserves and sign if not world class players, the tier below.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

What planet are you on ?

I am hoping fir
Lingard 10m
CB 10m
CF 10m

30-40m tops !

Agree we should sign Dec up ASAP
Agent lingard is needed for that!

Then I want claret seats put in!

150m 😂😂😂😂
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

hammerman11 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:12 am What planet are you on ?
I am on Uranus.

Cheers.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

The Straw wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:13 pm Looks technically quite weak and also looks to have zero pace. What apart from the goals record interests you about his play? Genuine question? Just doesn't look like a good fit.
I've never seen Brerereretettonn (sp :grin: ) play but going purely by the stats and the fact he's only 22, he's developing a great goalscoring record in the C'ship for someone so young and is already being picked to play international football for a decent national side, so the presumption must be that he's a player with strong potential.

But otherwise, yes, I'd just be looking at his age and C'ship scoring charts and thinking, ooh, he sounds good.
Scratchy
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Scratchy »

The Straw wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:13 pm Looks technically quite weak and also looks to have zero pace. What apart from the goals record interests you about his play? Genuine question? Just doesn't look like a good fit.
"What apart from his fantastic goals record interests you?" is a funny question
CarltonColesLeftFoot
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by CarltonColesLeftFoot »

When you're looking at a striker, goals record is one of the most important things to look at.

I'd also love Danny Dagenham who was born in Barking, with irons tattooed on his forehead and touted as the new Mbappe, but I think we need to temper our expectations if a 22 year old Chilean international with great work ethic, humility and has got a bag of goals in the English Championship doesnt get us excited anymore.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

In fairness a lot of players have rattled in goals in the Championship and not been good enough for the Prem.

It’s a valid question to ask what else there is to his game, in my opinion, as pure goal scoring ability only might not translate to the higher level.
The Straw

Post by The Straw »

Scratchy wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:35 am "What apart from his fantastic goals record interests you?" is a funny question
Well not really. Take Scott Hogan. I remember reading on here that it was a no brainer to sign him for what was decent money at the time. But having actually watched him I had real doubts that he would be effective in the PL. And so it proved. There are many examples. Jordan Rhodes is another. And he had a much better and more consistent record in the Championship than Brereton. In fact, I think they have similar flaws.

I love signing players from the Championship and have been wanting us to do that for years, but to my eyes this particular player just doesn't look up to the level that we want. Just my opinion based on seeing him play a few times. He looks to have weaknesses that wouldn't translate well to a higher level. As for his international goals, he's scored against Bolivia, Paraguay and Venezuela but so have many others. Pablo Barerra had notched against Bolivia at a similar age but he was hardly a good fit.

If he does sign then obviously I hope he bangs in 30 a season for 10 years.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Bowen scored 54 goals in three seasons before he joined us.

Good goal scoring records in the Championship, doesn't necessarily equate to a similar strike rate, once a player has made the step up.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:40 am It’s a valid question to ask what else there is to his game, in my opinion, as pure goal scoring ability only might not translate to the higher level.
It's not just the goals, he's got an Irons tat on his forehead mate
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

The key with Bowen is that he is talented as a footballer in general, so whilst he wouldn’t get the space and time in the Prem to rattle in the goals at the level he did in the Champ, he has more than enough attributes elsewhere to make it at this level. Close control, dribbling, good technque, clever runs, good pace etc.

Compare that to players like Ross McCormack, Jordan Rhodes, Scott Hogan and many more who also found the net with regularity at lower levels but were one trick ponies. Many of them didn’t even get a chance at Prem level because it was obvious they were limited.

I haven’t seen much of Ben Brereton at all really so can’t judge him myself. But I do generally like that sort of profile. English lad from the lower league that has shined can go either way, but they are definitely one of the more enjoyable elements of the game to follow for me when West Ham sign one. Only have to look at Michail!
The Straw

Post by The Straw »

CarltonColesLeftFoot wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:37 am When you're looking at a striker, goals record is one of the most important things to look at.

I'd also love Danny Dagenham who was born in Barking, with irons tattooed on his forehead and touted as the new Mbappe, but I think we need to temper our expectations if a 22 year old Chilean international with great work ethic, humility and has got a bag of goals in the English Championship doesnt get us excited anymore.
In recent years i've wanted us to sign, Bowen, Eze, Olise, Toney, Kalvin Phillips, even Josh Brownhill (!) and loads more from the Champ. You could tell they all had loads about them. So don't tar me with that brush!
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

He’s got a good goals record, but not sure he’s showing much else that makes him look a must-buy.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

The unscientific thing about Championship strikers is you can just sort of 'tell' if they're likely to be the requisite ability.

I'm trying to think of the last striker who surprised me either by being significantly better or significantly worse than I expected. The only two who spring to mind are Bamford last year and Murray a while back, and they were much older than anyone you'd usually target – and in Bamford's case he barely qualifies given he'd been hither and thither for years between the divisions.

Watkins was not a surprise, Bowen was not a surprise, Toney hasn't been a surprise. Adam Armstrong has done almost exactly how you'd expect.