EL: Rapid Wien 0-2 West Ham Utd (25/11/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Chavs
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 762 likes

Re: ⚽ Rapid Wien vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Chavs »

Aceface wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:24 am I'm certain that would be the case, which is why it almost feels like the conditions for us winning it might be better this season than it would even in a few years time with more experience under our belt, because the players seem to be amped for it. Which I suspect is quite rare in the Europa League. We're currently in the sweet spot of being good enough to go deep in it while being proud to be there instead of treating it like a distraction or irritation.

I'm sure that's why the good-but-not-elite Spanish clubs tend to have a good time of it. Sevilla and Villarreal are our approx equivalents in La Liga and they treat it seriously.
Exactly, why the f*** people want to draw a Dortmund/Barca/Champions League drop out for a 'day out' f*** that, lets try and win the ****er, i want the easiest games possible

I think if we drew a Champions League team their experience will be too much for us, but if we can keep hopefully getting some Europa leaguey type clubs we've got every chance
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Aceface wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:24 am

I'm sure that's why the good-but-not-elite Spanish clubs tend to have a good time of it. Sevilla and Villarreal are our approx equivalents in La Liga and they treat it seriously.
Tbf, Spanish clubs in general have always tried in this competition. Aside from the 2 you mention, Atletico Madrid have won it 3 times recently, Valencia have also and Alaves, Athletic Bilbao and Espanyol have got to finals. Spain have dominated this competition recently and we’re possibly about to get 2 of their elite clubs in it…
Rich5ltr
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Rich5ltr »

I8CHAVS wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:28 am Exactly, why the **** people want to draw a Dortmund/Barca/Champions League drop out for a 'day out' **** that, lets try and win the ****er, i want the easiest games possible

I think if we drew a Champions League team their experience will be too much for us, but if we can keep hopefully getting some Europa leaguey type clubs we've got every chance
I watched Liverpool vs Porto last night and Porto were crap, genuinely crap. I wouldn't say they would be too much for us.
southendmadhammer

Post by southendmadhammer »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:44 pm It’s pretty ridiculous that we’re having to leave our only striker at home to rest him instead of play him in a game that sends us through to the last 16 in Europe if we win.

There’s so much to be positive about with West Ham these days, but yeah, that is ridiculous.
Spot on - and will be the thing that costs us top 6 this season and any chance at winning anything.
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by stu1 »

Aceface wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:24 am I'm sure that's why the good-but-not-elite Spanish clubs tend to have a good time of it. Sevilla and Villarreal are our approx equivalents in La Liga and they treat it seriously.
I think most countries have always treated it seriously tbf, it has historically only really been the English teams who didn't want to play in it. The fact the winner also qualifies for the champions league is a huge bonus, u you'd be better off winning Europa and finishing 10th domestically than than finishing 2nd-4th.

Our problems will start in the group stage, once we reach the knock out phase that's when I'd expect us to go full strength and rest players in the league, which is why we really could do with 2 players who can challenge our starting XI in Jan.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 936 likes
Total likes: 1948 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Porto in March? Oh yes please!

Should be eating slices, drinking sweet dark coffee, going on the ferris wheel and having some proper lager around about now.

It sort of helps knowing nobody else is either.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Easiest team possible fir me let's win something !

Need to nit lose hopefully win it

Surely kral starts tonight

Areola
Coufal Dawson diop Johnson
Kral noble lanzini
Vlasic bowen yarmolenko.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 500 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

I think the likes of Soucek, Rice, Bowen, Benrahma and Bowen all start.

Rice had a break during the internationals and Soucek played once. The other 3 all came off on Saturday.
Lars Jacobsen
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by Lars Jacobsen »

Vlasic and Yarmo will lead the line, with one of Bowen, Benrahma or Fornals (probably Benny).

Kral ought to start alongside Rice - keen to give Soucek as much time as possible.

Would like to see Baptiste in this one in place of whoever they are planning to partner Zouma with in the league, and also a run-out for the young midfielder if things are going well.

I reckon it will be a bit scrappier than we'd like but we'll still come away with a win.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

IronZ-79 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:55 pm I think the likes of Soucek, Rice, Bowen, Benrahma and Bowen all start.

Rice had a break during the internationals and Soucek played once. The other 3 all came off on Saturday.
I know Bowen covers a lot of ground but......... :grin:
Hamburger
Has liked: 861 likes
Total likes: 444 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Stulaw wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:02 am This one?
Yeah how cool was he?!?
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 500 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

ageing hammer wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:50 pm I know Bowen covers a lot of ground but......... :grin:
Fornals!
3Dicks
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by 3Dicks »

I can’t seem to find anything relating to radio commentary for this, it’s cool it’s on the telly but that doesn’t help when stuck in the car… I’d assumed it would be on one of 5live, 5 live extra, or the two talk sport channels but doesn’t seem to be on their listings :nonpl:
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

3Dicks wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:33 pm I can’t seem to find anything relating to radio commentary for this, it’s cool it’s on the telly but that doesn’t help when stuck in the car… I’d assumed it would be on one of 5live, 5 live extra, or the two talk sport channels but doesn’t seem to be on their listings :nonpl:
Talksport 2
3Dicks
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by 3Dicks »

Hammer Matty wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:36 pm Talksport 2
Right you are! Thanks
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 300 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

I8CHAVS wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:28 am Exactly, why the **** people want to draw a Dortmund/Barca/Champions League drop out for a 'day out' **** that, lets try and win the ****er, i want the easiest games possible

Disagree, there are several of those teams dropping down from the Champions League that id fancy our chances against. Sheriff, Zenit, Atalanta (who we beat recently albeit preseason), Id even fancy our chances against Barca at the moment.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

The predicted team is on Ex’s Patreon now if you have it. It’s pretty predictable in terms of players coming in. 3 keep their starting places from the Wolves game.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1673 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

I broadly agree, but there's something about "big" opposition that often brings out the best in us. I wonder if it's because there's an inherent desire among our players to deliver the goods when the stakes are highest and they're at their most motivated when there's a major scalp to take.