January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Chadwell Chief
Has liked: 48 likes
Total likes: 29 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by Chadwell Chief »

Brereton haha do me a favour.

No flavour of the month signings please. Any striker coming here needs to be strong, hard-working and fast on the break. They don’t need to be someone who pumps it in every week for a few months before never being heard from again.

Scott Hogan anyone?
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

S-H wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:14 pm When you look at the business done by Moyes since his return, the signing of Hugill really stands out like a sore thumb..

Had to be dodgy, surely?
There has to be a story behind it. 22mins...
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

I always saw Hugill as a security signing - he is a really good player for the Championship. He also filled a gap after we sold a bunch of our forwards that window. The fact it helped out Moyes old club probably didn’t hurt either!
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

10m waste of money, did he ever start a PL match.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

steveyrockstar wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:30 pm I'd honestly never heard of Breererererton before this season, and I've never seen him play, but I'm just wondering how he comes to be selected for a national side as decent as Chile if he isn't very good, especially as he's only 22 and only playing in the C'ship. Sounds like to me he's regarded as some prospect. Unless Chile really aren't any better than Republic of Ireland at the moment.

(That's not a dig at Eire btw, just using as an example of a side who've fallen and pick most of their players from the English lower leagues).
On a recent Football Manager game, Brereton develops into a very good forward.

A Chilean person who played the game a lot was playing as Chile and realised Brereton was eligible to play for Chile (I believe his Mum's Maiden name is Diaz.) After selecting him for Chile in the game and him doing really well, that fan started a real life petition to have the Chile National Side call up Ben Brereton.

This petition gathered pace and the Chile manager obliged by reaching out to Brereton who then applied for citizenship and declared for Chile.

He's now a regular starter for them so I assume he brings more than 'just goals', especially with his manager praising his work ethic.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Ironing Board wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:52 pm I always saw Hugill as a security signing - he is a really good player for the Championship. He also filled a gap after we sold a bunch of our forwards that window. The fact it helped out Moyes old club probably didn’t hurt either!
Agree completely.

Think he was signed as a contingency in case we did go down but also to give Andy Carroll a kick up the arse in terms of bucking up his ideas and competition for the strikers spot.

As it stands AC just petered out at the point and it was Arnautovic in that run in who kept us up.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

You must have ruddy alerts set up in case the Moyesiah needs defending.

The beacons are lit, Dave calls for aid!
And IB will answer
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

‘A really good player for the Championship’ who averages 8 goals a season in that league. A player who no one knew anything about, let alone wanting to sign him and wasn’t even given a chance by the manager who signed him.

A very, very weird signing.

I don’t think you’re having this one, IB :lol:
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

steveyrockstar wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:10 am I've never seen Brerereretettonn (sp :grin: ) play but going purely by the stats and the fact he's only 22, he's developing a great goalscoring record in the C'ship for someone so young and is already being picked to play international football for a decent national side, so the presumption must be that he's a player with strong potential.

But otherwise, yes, I'd just be looking at his age and C'ship scoring charts and thinking, ooh, he sounds good.
Not seen a lot of Bereton so I cannot comment on his overall game save from what I have seen, like Hlozek, he seems to be a left sided striker more than a CF.

If you want a Championship CF scoring for fun and playing for a decent International side you only need look as far as Mitrovic, then again his recent outing in the PL would suggest not.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I have a couple of days off to try and sort out my divorce and hammerman11 returns!
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 467 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

HammerAl wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:51 pm ‘A really good player for the Championship’ who averages 8 goals a season in that league. A player who no one knew anything about, let alone wanting to sign him and wasn’t even given a chance by the manager who signed him.

A very, very weird signing.

I don’t think you’re having this one, IB :lol:
Agree Hugill was very average in the Championship, baffling bit of recruitment that. It does indeed stick out like a sore thumb
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 »

YorksHammer wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:55 pm I have a couple of days off to try and sort out my divorce and hammerman11 returns!
Divorce:

House £15m
TV- £1m
Cars - Exchange for Porsche and £5m
Left back needed urgently

Sell shed, ring, sofa - £25m combined, all s***, don't need 'em.
SiO
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 292 likes

Post by SiO »

Wilko1304 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:33 pm Divorce:

House £15m
TV- £1m

Get a young, hungry woman in. No more expensive wasters

BTW Wilko, great great post :rofl:
Bill
Stranded in the smog
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by Bill »

Wilko1304 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:33 pm Divorce:

House £15m
TV- £1m

Quality!😂
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Roby wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:19 pm Agree completely.

Think he was signed as a contingency in case we did go down but also to give Andy Carroll a kick up the arse in terms of bucking up his ideas and competition for the strikers spot.

As it stands AC just petered out at the point and it was Arnautovic in that run in who kept us up.
This is a fantasy. Noone signs a crap striker in case they go down. they wait and see and then sign someone a bit crap if they do go down.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

I saw a breakdown last month of where our attacking threat comes from this season, and it's incredibly lopsided towards the left. Almost an equal amount of ball goes down each side during the season, but in terms of progressive passing and making attacking inroads it was more like 65/35.

That's more of a mid-term future issue to address really. All of them are playing well so it's not so much about starting replacements, but it does tell us that that chain of Zouma - Johnson/Coufal - Bowen could do with some options to open up that side of the field a little more in an attacking sense in certain games, particularly if opposition managers start to deliberately shepherd our attacks onto that side.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Wilko1304 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:38 pm You must have ruddy alerts set up in case the Moyesiah needs defending.

The beacons are lit, Dave calls for aid!
And IB will answer

“Because he's the hero Moyes deserves, but not the one he needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. An Ironing Board.”

:lol: :lol:
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

“The level of Tottenham is not so high”

- Every West Ham fan ever Tottenham manager Antonio Conte
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Oops, wrong thread but f*** it it can stay anyway
Wilko1304

Post by Wilko1304 »

Twitter transfer man Nico Schira says Shevchenko wants to sign Yarmolenko for Genoa in January and discussions have started.