EL: Rapid Wien 0-2 West Ham Utd (25/11/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Re: ⚽ Rapid Wien vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Aztec Hammer »

For all the negativity in here about Vlasic, he would have had a goal and an assist if not for Benrahma’s greediness.

And if Benrahma wasn’t being greedy there but just didn’t see the pass for the open goal, then that’s probably even worse.

Said needs to sharpen up a bit. Few signs in the last few games that he hasn’t quite been playing for the team as much as he should.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

I'm hoping they all sharpen up a bit. Vlasic can still get there.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

I’ve just realised I did not feel nervous and knew we would win. Like how a top 4 team must usually feel. It’s a good feeling!
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

If anyone thinks that Bowen can play striker, take another look at the match. Finishing is not good and positioning poor. Great winger, leave him there.

Vlasic still finding his feet. Wish Benny had squared to him last night so he could have scored, would have done him the world of good. If Lingard does join and Lanzini stays, we will have 5 players for 2 centre/left positions with only Bowen as a natural right sided player assuming that Yarmo leaves.

Incidentally Yarmo has earned £20m since joining us, that's £282k per match played in all competitions which is nearly DOUBLE that of Bowen, Fornals & Benrahma combined. Also it works out at a staggering £1.8m per goal.
Al Fisti
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Al Fisti »

I still believe in Yarmus Lenko. He can be the man for the extraordinary.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 924 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

A regulation and professional win against a very poor side. Excellent to give the squad players some match time - good for confidence and a chance to keep the first team on their toes. I thought Coufal, Yarms, Lanzini and Nobes were the pick of the bunch for me, whilst Kral and Vlasic showed promise at times.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Bossed it from start to finish, yes Rapid were not great, but we also made them poor through our play, a very professional & solid performance. Overchuffed :scarfer:

Only slight negative is we should have scored more goals, but the positives far outweigh that negative.

As DL says, keep the 2nd string going, perhaps with 1 or 2 more young uns in for the last game, some of those players last night will be needed more in Dec & Jan to get through the amount of games we have coming at us.

Perkins, welcome to the 1st team, congratulations on your debut, lovely to see :crestnew:

Take a bow Moyes, coaching staff & all the players, you are doing yourself & us proud.
Long Shot
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Long Shot »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:27 pm For all the negativity in here about Vlasic, he would have had a goal and an assist if not for Benrahma’s greediness.
Not a bad effort just over the bar in the first half too. He's just working out his best game to fit in the team and our style, once he does I think he'll pick up the energy and gain confidence to express himself more. I think he'll come good, maybe not the world-beater some expect but a solid attacking midfielder that will chip in with goals, assists, defending and run miles for the gaffer
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Only watched the highlights , had a slight reaction to my Covid booster vaccine last night [ mild flu etc ] so had an early night .

Looked another assured performance while playing some neat football - could easily have been 4 or 5 with better finishing [ need to work on that ] - can't do better than Top of the League .
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Vlasic is getting stick on here? I thought he played well.

What exactly did he do wrong?

The assist for Yarmolenko’s header was a very good ball.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

steps wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:26 am Vlasic is getting stick on here? I thought he played well.

What exactly did he do wrong?

The assist for Yarmolenko’s header was a very good ball.
Check the early pages just before we scored. Some stones being thrown far too soon with him.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Don’t think anyone deserves stick. It was impossible to look bad against that opposition.

Still fuming, I should be in the K+K Palais hotel eating breakfast right now.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Billydinho wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:29 am It was impossible to look bad against that opposition.
Yarmolenko tried his very best to.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

HammerAl wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:36 am Yarmolenko tried his very best to.
Yet, was one of our best players.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

S-H wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:37 am Yet, was one of our best players.
You think? I thought he was absolute dogsh*t. BT have absolutely loved us during this EL campaign, so for their commentators to outwardly say he had 'not one of his best games' is quite a sign. Noble digging him out once or twice, too. He's trying really, really hard, can't knock him for that, but nothing ever comes off for him.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Nobody was dog **** mate.

Yarmolenko got a goal, an assist and should have had another assist with a real smart pass to Soucek second half.

He's frustrating and wasteful but he made things happen, as he has always tended to in his deservedly limited showings.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

HammerAl wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:44 am You think? I thought he was absolute dogsh*t. BT have absolutely loved us during this EL campaign, so for their commentators to outwardly say he had 'not one of his best games' is quite a sign. Noble digging him out once or twice, too. He's trying really, really hard, can't knock him for that, but nothing ever comes off for him.
And then Joey Cole said he was Man of the Match! Opinions, eh?

I think late-career Yarmalenko is just naturally divisive as a player tbh. Technically very good, not the fittest, a little bit selfish, slows the game down a lot, but also capable of moments of brilliance.

He sticks out like a sore thumb in a Moyes squad, but I suspect he'll still have an important moment or two before he leaves us. Winner against Spurs in the League Cup perhaps? I'd take that.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:45 pm There’s one word that continues to pop up on match thread posts and that is professional
That and massive.

We're professionally massive, like Ron Jeremy.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

We are benefiting from having players like Yarmolenko, in these European games, these sorts of teams are perfect for him, I think.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

fjthegrey wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:50 am Nobody was dog **** mate.

Yarmolenko got a goal, an assist and should have had another assist with a real smart pass to Soucek second half.

He's frustrating and wasteful but he made things happen, as he has always tended to in his deservedly limited showings.
:thup:

For good reason he’s not a starter but we seem to sometimes come up against teams who aren’t particularly ambitious against us and sit deep with a lot of bodies. Yarmolenko may well be twice as likely to lose the ball as create something but he does add that random, chaos factor that can sometimes unlock those well drilled, deep sitting teams.

He’s a useful option to have for certain games. The history books will show he scored a goal and won a penalty, job done.