EL: Rapid Wien 0-2 West Ham Utd (25/11/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Re: ⚽ Rapid Wien vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Aceface »

Love Yarmo but he must drive the coaching staff nuts.

He must have a puppy dog personality because for a towering square-jawed Ukrainian he plays with all the physicality of Mauro Zarate. Would be interesting to see what someone could have done with him if he arrived at 24/25 instead of late career post-injury.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2706 likes

Post by sendô »

Good solid performance all round. Yarmalenko very good up top. Lanzini tidy pulling the strings. Vlasic looking sharper, put on a nice cross for Yarm to score and might have got a goal too. Defence solid. Ever Noble chipped in with a penalty goal.

Comfortable, professional win away from home to win the group.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 936 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

YorksHammer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:52 am We're professionally massive, like Ron Jeremy.
Hope that's not prescient - he's in chokey...
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Aceface wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:06 am Love Yarmo but he must drive the coaching staff nuts.

He must have a puppy dog personality because for a towering square-jawed Ukrainian he plays with all the physicality of Mauro Zarate. Would be interesting to see what someone could have done with him if he arrived at 24/25 instead of late career post-injury.
Your post reminds me of one of those one-off supporters moments after Zarate scored that beauty of a debut goal (volleyed in from outside the area) at Selhurst Municipal Dump.

A massive chant of 'Mo, Mauro Zarate' went up and, for some reason, I looked at him when we were singing it. For that split second, he looked like he might burst into tears.

It was a cracker...I must have been right next to the bloke with the camera

as you were
steps
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by steps »

HammerAl wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:44 am He's trying really, really hard, can't knock him for that, but nothing ever comes off for him.
Apart from scoring and winning a penalty?

Ha ha, no to be honest, he was frustrating me. Before he scored he was losing possession, choosing the wrong pass / option etc and I did think he should of been hooked but he then scored. He’s that type of player I think. Puts in a shift, looks a bit rough around the edges, but has the experience to win games.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 936 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Pleased I didn't go in the end.

Covid, jibbers, smoke flares, Viennese Ultras, £500 and now the Channel Tunnel is being blocked by angry French fishermen...
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by k-r-c »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:42 pm Par tonight would have been 4-0.The teams we will face in the latter stages of this competition will do us if take the same approach with them as we did tonight.
Which it would have been 4-0 had Bowens first effort been the other side of the post and again his one in the second half blocked on the line, on another night they both go in. It wasn't as though we didnt apply ourselves enough to win 4/5-0 just some small moments with a bit more luck and it would have been.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 756 likes
Total likes: 3479 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Rapid Vienna
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136470
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Post by -DL- »

HammerAl wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:44 am You think? I thought he was absolute dogsh*t. BT have absolutely loved us during this EL campaign, so for their commentators to outwardly say he had 'not one of his best games' is quite a sign. Noble digging him out once or twice, too. He's trying really, really hard, can't knock him for that, but nothing ever comes off for him.
Maybe I was hearing things when Joe Cole was bigging him up saying what a good game he had in the post match analysis.

If nothing coming off for him is a goal and turning a defender in knots and winning a penalty, I'll take that all day long.
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

Up the Junction wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:43 am The opposition view: Rapid Vienna
Well-rounded lot.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Post by -DL- »

Up the Junction wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:43 am The opposition view: Rapid Vienna
Are they actually talking about us? It's just weird.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

The reverse pass from Yarmo to Soucek was a thing of beauty
Pure class from a very classy player
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2706 likes

Post by sendô »

We played against a top team in the Premier League.

To be honest, even with full commitment and our best eleven, we would hardly have had a chance

Unfortunately, against such top teams, you can see the class difference very directly and clearly.

If you can't motivate yourself 100% for the highlight of the season against West Ham, then you'll probably be even less motivated for everyday life in the league.

These comments still don't feel like they make sense.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1171 likes
Total likes: 680 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

Are they really talking about us?
Very balanced and realistic.
One key phrase might ultimately apply to us : “we have to outgrow ourselves [to achieve more].

In Moyes we grow!
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Do they write in English or do you google translate for us Guv???

Like others, it's proper weird reading that about us :lol:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 756 likes
Total likes: 3479 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:08 pm Do they write in English or do you google translate for us Guv???
It's translated through Google, Clackers, and then I make their translation make sense. A little harder to produce than a regular (English) OV.
Scratchy
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Scratchy »

Lovely to see that kind of recognition from across Europe
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Well then super-duper work Guv, many thanks :newthumb: :newthumb:
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:42 pm An easy win against a very ordinary Vienna side, who may struggle to be top half of the Championship. My main concern about the way we have waltzed through this group is the low calibre of opposition we have faced.It's fine saying we can only beat what is in front of us, but chuffing Nora, Vienna were poor.
Curiously, Rapid Vienna finished 2nd in the Austrian Bundesliga last season, just behind RB Salzburg who look in a good position to qualify for the Champions League KO stages. I find it quite difficult to gauge or quantify the quality of other European sides. But we seem to be stronger than a number of sides who often compete and do well in Europe.

As I said in previous threads, clubs like Zagreb, Vienna and Genk qualify for European comps almost every year, and often do reasonably well. Yet we qualify once in every blue moon by virtue of a very, very tough domestic league.
wivenhoetim
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by wivenhoetim »

One more in the Yarmo camp. Guy will never win strictly, but hes tough and a seasoned pro. Perfect for Euro nights. Scored one and won the pen. Reckon Moyes will be well chuffed with his contribution. One other thought (dons tin hat) thought Arthur had a really good game too and seems not to have agot a mention.. All in all good solid professional performance. This is a new experience for us all, I think we should allow ourselves to start getting used to it. Never been a better time to be a Hammer.