✍ Welcome, Jarrod Bowen

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Re: Welcome, Jarrod Bowen

Post by Chrissieboy »

I love Bowen but for the love of Brooking, Moore and Bonds he has to start putting some more chances away.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

NedN wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:21 am He’s having a tough spell in terms of finishing. So many have at a point in their career. Easy to forget he’s still early on in his.

For us it’s unfortunate that it’s coming at the same time as so many others in the team are struggling in this regard, but I’m confident his finishing will return.
Yeah, he’s a really good player. Just needs to add a bit more composure and to find his touch. If he can find the extra 5% he will be top quality.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

A one in five striker and when the chances do come they always seem to be on his weaker right foot.

His head never drops though, so keep going JB.
Chesterfield Hammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Chesterfield Hammer »

Hamburger wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:21 am Gave the ball away 18 times last night and lost more than half of his tackles. His stats have been abysmal all season (2 goals from 14 shots on target and 4 assists which were all corners) but because he ‘puts in a shift’ people seem to rate him. Not saying he’s bad but not saying he’s that good either.
So what are you saying ?
I reckon Bowen is the new Boa Morte , Geoff Pike , Neil Orr , Steve Jones Jimmy Quinn Marlon Harewood
… players that tried their Gonads off but weren’t “ good enough “ for our Spursey- esque stats- obsessed super fans
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

Hamburger wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:21 am Gave the ball away 18 times last night and lost more than half of his tackles. His stats have been abysmal all season (2 goals from 14 shots on target and 4 assists which were all corners) but because he ‘puts in a shift’ people seem to rate him. Not saying he’s bad but not saying he’s that good either.
Agree 100%.
Great effort butblittle quality.
Don't get me wrong, a good enough West Ham player for our levels over the last 20 years, but if talk of moving forward and competing higher up the league is sincere, he will need to massively improve his final ball and decision making to be part of it.
Hope he does becaus everything seems a very likable player and fella.
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Ironing Board wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:24 am Yeah, he’s a really good player. Just needs to add a bit more composure and to find his touch. If he can find the extra 5% he will be top quality.
Spot on. Moyes has mentioned 'taking our chances' so he is aware of the issue. Lingard was deadly in front of goal, need that.
Last edited by Hamburger on Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
snooperpooper
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by snooperpooper »

Ironing Board wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:24 am Yeah, he’s a really good player. Just needs to add a bit more composure and to find his touch. If he can find the extra 5% he will be top quality.
Probably getting a bit twitchy now in front of goal, he'll know he needs a couple of goals and then we'll see the quality he has
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

It’s really frustrating as that’s literally the only thing missing from his game at the moment. He could’ve scored about 3 worldies this season! The chance in the 2nd half off his right foot when he ran all the way in was almost a thing of beauty.

If he had put away even half the chances he’s missed he would not only have been our top scorer, but one of the League’s top scorers!

He’s still relatively young, so of course can still improve. But he and the coaching staff really do need to work on his finishing. As it’s going to cost us more and more points if he doesn’t start burying his chances.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:16 am He is, or at least is performing, both statistically and by the eye test, as the worst finisher in the league and it’s a real shame because it’s holding him back from being a very, very good player.
I would love to see the statistics that say Jarrod Bowen is the worst finisher in the league!
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

really good player just having a blip as are the rest of our team atm, important that his head don't drop and he pushes on, this is where 'supporters' play their part
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

He's been a very good signing and doesn't stop grafting.

But his habit of smacking it at the keeper or scuffing them from 5 yards out does my nut in.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Currently rated 22nd out of 273 regular PL players on whoscored.....only Declan is rated higher among ours. 8 goals/assists so far this season in all comps.

Should finish with 15-20
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

People getting too hung up about numbers here.

He works really hard, has quality, puts himself about, seems to really care about playing for our club. He's great. A really excellent player and great fun to watch.

I think a good remedy for some of folks frustrations is to stop worrying about stats and try to enjoy the game and the way people play it a bit more.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

He's a good player who is undervalued.

He's a striker waiting to happen. He's much better technically than Antonio. He just needs a run of games central where his game can be focussed on finishing rather than doubling up to protect his full back.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

If he works on his finishing he is without question a striker in the making. His movement in and around the box is as good as any of the best strikers out there.

Maybe his finishing will get better with age. As he’s still relatively young. And if he gets to play there for consecutive games, as mentioned. Equally he of course may never pick up that killer instinct. But I remember a lot of us saying similar things about Antonio when he started to play up front. Look where that got us!
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Not sure Jarrod is a striker in the making for me, well my definition of striker that is, and I think leaving him more up top takes away from a very important part of his game as a ball carrier and getting us up the field quickly, which he is very good at it. I would be more worried if he wasn't getting into positions to score, which he is and that's a very good sign for him/us, more goals will come for him, that I'm sure of.

Plus he has the best new song presently :D
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

He'd pass muster because of his hard work alone if Benny and Antonio were firing..

Got to stop schoolboy push and run tactics to get round the full backs.
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

I wonder if Zola is available to provide the 'finishing lessons' that he gave to Carlton
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

ereford ammer wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:05 am I wonder if Zola is available to provide the 'finishing lessons' that he gave to Carlton
No need to get Zola in..

Carlton works for the club, doesn't he?

Job done.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Do we actually have a striker coach???