West Ham Utd 1-1 Brighton & Hove Albion (1/12/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & Hove Albion: match thread

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Up the Junction wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:47 pm The opposition view: Brighton & Hove Albion
seem like a very soild lot. :newthumb:
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 354 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

fjthegrey wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:39 pm Ben Johnson defended well last night.

Just very average with the ball.
He did yeh, but it showed he is a far better attacking option on the right
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Jon wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:09 pm What is now abundantly clear (from the disallowed goal), is that you’re entitled to flatten a defender in your way and off the ball. Barge him over and it’s perfectly legal.

:crossed:
Are you referring to Dawson and Lallana?
What I deduced is abundantly clear is that you are allowed to blatantly obstruct players now. They did that on the first goal (three players (including Lallana) to block Dawson and Zouma), all of them moved to block the runs and none of them looked at the ball once).
On the disallowed goal, Lallana is looking at Dawson and doesn't look towards the ball once. As Dawson runs towards the near post Lallana moves across him and into him, arms out across Dawson. Dawson changes direction and Lallana falls over from the contact he himself made. There's no foul from Dawson, just an arm out to hold Lallana off.

VAR should have looked back that far and decided that without being impeded Dawson would have got a clean header straight into the net. :crylol:
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

If you can't find anything horrible, you shouldn't do an OV at all is what my old mum used to say.

How can I dehumanize those mongrels based on that selection?
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:56 am The clear and obvious caveat does not apply to offsides
He was clearly in an offside position so once they decided he had touched it then that was that

Very annoying though
I was fuming at this, thinking that VAR had screwed up the call and cost us the game but then I re-read the offside law and watched the replays again. Antonio is in an offside position when Dawson chins the ball goalwards : he is closer to the Brighton goal line than the second last opponent, who, in this case is the keeper. It clearly came off a Brighton player before he touched it with his shin and I thought this cancelled the whole "Offside" situation but it is also clearly a deflection which, according to the laws of the game falls under this:
Gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has
"- rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar, match official or an opponent
- been deliberately saved by any opponent"

Right decision. Sod it. :swear:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Fair play to the Brighton mob on the OV :newthumb:
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Toulouse_Iron wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:00 pm Gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has
"- rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar, match official or an opponent
- been deliberately saved by any opponent"
Ah but Antonio didn't play the ball, nor did he interfere with an opponent. :winker:
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:14 pm Fair play to the Brighton mob on the OV :newthumb:
I thought that. I even thought fair play to their team when they equalised as it was deserved just as we deserved not to win. My mind was thinking 'good on ya' as it sailed into the net. Was an odd feeling in that weird moment.
Billy Hunt

Post by Billy Hunt »

Decent team Brighton, decent manager and from the OV they have some decent fans too.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

It is worth pointing out that we were statistically the superior side when you take possession out of the mix.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Ironing Board wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:59 pm It is worth pointing out that we were statistically the superior side when you take possession out of the mix.
Totally, and I get that argument from some on here, my main gripe last night was surrending the ball via our tactics. I totally get that's how we play at times, and agree totally with those tactics against some teams. Just think when teams like Brighton (and no disrespect to Brighton as I think they are a decent side) come to our place we should be enforcing our football on them, especially as we do have players now who can keep the ball and create.
Billy Hunt

Post by Billy Hunt »

Ironing Board wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:59 pm It is worth pointing out that we were statistically the superior side when you take possession out of the mix.
I'd imagine they were statistically superior in winning possession too if such a stat exists. They pressed us when we had possession continuously and forced a number of errors.

Ultimately the only statistic that matters was shared though, and on the balance of play, rightly
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:04 pm Totally, and I get that argument from some on here, my main gripe last night was surrending the ball via our tactics. I totally get that's how we play at times, and agree totally with those tactics against some teams. Just think when teams like Brighton (and no disrespect to Brighton as I think they are a decent side) come to our place we should be enforcing our football on them, especially as we do have players now who can keep the ball and create.
Thing is Brighton are a hard team to play against. We actually created more against them than most so far this season. I guess it is an ugly tactic, but also the only way to negate their style. At least with our players.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1935 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

kentishiron wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:14 pm It is no different to a goalkeeper making a save and scoring the rebound, which again would be offside
Yeah that's a really good point.

Though Antonio's touch didn't impact the goal as it was already goalbound, but had he tapped in Dawson's shot it's offside so I understand the decision.

Just thoroughly unlucky.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Ironing Board wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:31 pm Thing is Brighton are a hard team to play against. We actually created more against them than most so far this season. I guess it is an ugly tactic, but also the only way to negate their style. At least with our players.
They are a hard side to play against, but I don't like your comment "our players" so how many Brighton players would you choose over ours?? One maybe, Lamptey. We have some very good players now, players that can play all sorts of football, so against Brighton let them go and play is what I am saying.

Its just a frustrations from last night, still hugely in the Moyes/coaching staff/players camp, we are fighting on all fronts, they have given us a huge amount to be proud of, and I am still very proud and will remain so. Just like us to take games like last night with a little bit more "on the front foot" - I think our players are good enough to do it.

I get that maybe Moyes thought let them have the ball, we will break quick and win the game, we almost did, so many could argue he had it spot on with the amount of fixtures we have in December - I get it, I just think the players would feel less tired if they are winning, and winning with them playing a little more on the front foot in games like that.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

We didn’t set out to let them have the ball…..we scored after 5 minutes. An early goal will always dictate the dynamic of the game.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1337 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

And to cap a disappointing night the OV shows Brighton to have some knowledgeable sensible fans.

They wind me up being our bogey team but good luck to them. Great ground, decent manager and hard working.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

jastons wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:19 pm If Cresswell plays then we win last night
And if the game lasted only 89 minutes we would have...
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Decent OV

Thought we deserved to win though and should have put the game to bed before they equalised.

Brighton are a decent side and will turn a few more sides over this season

Back to winning ways on Saturday hopefully
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Post by mushy »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:21 pm My mind was thinking 'good on ya' as it sailed into the net. .
I cannot recall ever thinking similar when the opposition scores against us, nor could I ever imagine a time when I would.