West Ham Utd 3-2 Chelsea (4/12/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

IronRhino
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Chelsea: match thread

Post by IronRhino »

For sure we won't outplay Chelsea and we know they will dominate possession.

My main concern going into the match is the mindset of the players. We we have lost the fantastic momentum we had, where winning becomes a habit, confidence is high and there is an expectation of a win going into every match. I fear the opposite is true now the tide has turned and I think this is where Moyes really has a massive role to play, in not just getting them up for the match, which should be easy, given that it is Chelsea, but he needs to get them believing they can get a result.

Which then comes down to team selection and tactics. I think that Moyes will inevitably set us up not to concede with the hope of catching them on the break which is something we have excelled at this season.

I would like to see us go 4.5.1 for this match

I really hope Cresswell is fit, as neither Johnson or Coufal offer nearly as much going forward when they play on the left, and Cresswell has become a key player for us this season and is good at set pieces. I would play Coufal ahead of Johnson for this game, if only because he has more experience and provides more of an attacking outlet for us.

I think Chelsea will target Zouma, they let him go because he couldn't play out and he sometimes seems to get the ball stuck under his feet. For that reason I would move him to right centre back where he is more comfortable and would consider bringing in Diop over Dawson to partner him

The two holding midfielders would be Rice and Soukek with Lanzini sitting just in front of them and then Fornals on the left, and Bowen on the right sitting behind Antonio up front.

I think Benrahma coming off the bench when energies and concentration are flagging is probably best use of his talent in this match

Despite the respective forms of the two teams I think there will only be one goal in it, hopefully with us coming out on top
fester
Eats sh*t
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by fester »

I'm not sure I advocate lumping it. Long ball maybe, killer pass? Our problems have been keeping the ball and sloppy passing. I think Lanzini has to play. We have several dilemmas. Do we play Bowen as all he gives us is endeavour and an ability to cut in and fire one at the goalkeeper, Do we play Benrahma who has been losing the ball too easily and isn't linking things together. Do we play Soucek? His only accurate passes seem to be to Coufal.
Do we play Pablo who, despite his efforts, has managed to give the ball away a lot (but is the only ****er other than Cresswell who is likely to take a proper corner?

I don't have the answers other than Lanzini has to play. We have to retain the ball. Our transition needs to be better. Basically better football but same amount of graft. Oh and with some proper through balls Antonio will fare much better. Give the ****er better service (even if he is as much to blame for the dip in form).

Yarmolenko to score the winner again. 3-1 to us.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

ok maybe not cheering them but dont want le arse to win or draw !

to clubs we all hate ! we can agree on that !

any way I will be cheering brentford on to beat the wilting cock !
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

The team needs a kick up the arse. I think we will turn up for this. Whether we get something is of course another matter entirely.

Although it should be noted Chelsea rested most of their first choice vs Wolves.
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

Fabianski
Johnson Zouma Diop Cresswell
Rice Soucek
Coufal Vlasic Fornals
Bowen
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

-----------------------Fab
Coufal---Dawson---Zouma----Cresswell
-------------Soucek-----Rice
Vlasic---------Lanzini----------Fornals
-------------------Bowen

Ideally Vlasic would be left or cam but Reece James is a major threat and Cresswell needs help.
Lanzini best in centre and expect him to drop deep to make a 3.

Antonio doesn't look like he can contribute for 90 mins so hopefully he can give us 20 mins of solid beast, no holding back and effect the game.

Would like to match up their 3-4-3 ideally but lwb a problem particularly as its against Reece James again.
Could play the same team as a back 3 and put Fornals as lwb as he has the heart and ability, but still a physical mismatch. Could try coufal there also but then both wide positions are weak.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

What's their record like on conceding goals from set pieces?
docarnie
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by docarnie »

hammerman11 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:13 pm ok maybe not cheering them but dont want le arse to win or draw !

to clubs we all hate ! we can agree on that !

any way I will be cheering brentford on to beat the wilting cock !
Yes fair enough it's a difficult choice. But come on you Bees (even though they didn't exactly endear themselves at the LS either!)
Jarvo
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Jarvo »

First trip to the new place on Saturday after the best part of a decade living overseas. :scarfer:

Would anyone advise against driving to Westfield to park, and walk to stadium for the game? Travelling in from Milton Keynes, would prefer to drive, but don't want to get stuck in mass traffic afterwards.
El brooko79

Post by El brooko79 »

Jarvo wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:45 pm First trip to the new place on Saturday after the best part of a decade living overseas. :scarfer:

Would anyone advise against driving to Westfield to park, and walk to stadium for the game? Travelling in from Milton Keynes, would prefer to drive, but don't want to get stuck in mass traffic afterwards.
From Euston. Going from highbury and islington to Hackney wick on the overground is only 15 mins. Just need to go from Euston to highbury islington on the victoria line. Miss the crowd at Stratford. Only problem is mk to Euston can be busy
Jarvo
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Jarvo »

El brooko79 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:55 pm From Euston. Going from highbury and islington to Hackney wick on the overground is only 15 mins. Just need to go from Euston to highbury islington on the victoria line. Miss the crowd at Stratford. Only problem is mk to Euston can be busy
Thanks mate - looks like good travel time to get from MK to Stratford!
El brooko79

Post by El brooko79 »

Jarvo wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:05 pm Thanks mate - looks like good travel time to get from MK to Stratford!
Enjoy mate, hope you get a good game and result.
If you do it mate sure you get off at Hackney wick not Stratford. Some nice bars near HW Station too
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

This is the problem with only having one striker in the squad. No matter how absolutely dog sh*t Antonio has been, sacrificing Bowen up top is not the answer.

Antonio has to play, he’s the first name on the team sheet purely on those grounds alone.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Aw , c'mon , we all know how this one goes -

Easy win for The Mighty West Ham.

West Ham United 3 Chelsea 1 .

Mad with joy we see scenes of a kilted David Moyes chasing The Hun off out of the ground , sporran being waved triumphantly in the air while he screams ' Hoots ..... Hoots Mon ' .

It is written .
helic0n
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by helic0n »

No Chilwell, probably no James, Kovacic or Kante for them. Assuming Cresswell is fit, I'd match their 343/352 formation and back us to be better man-for-man.

Fabianski
Dawson Zouma Cresswell
Coufal Soucek Rice Masuaku
Lanzini
Bowen Antonio

Lanzini drops deep in possession. Soucek has a bit more freedom to get forward with 3 CBs behind him.
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1078 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

fester wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:12 pm
Do we play Pablo who, despite his efforts, has managed to give the ball away a lot (but is the only ****er other than Cresswell who is likely to take a proper corner?
I've seen this mentioned a few times lately but didn't Bowen hit that perfect one to Zouma v Liverpool and another one that escapes me atm?
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

Think I’m dropping Benrahma for Lanzini. He has shown in his last few cameos that he’s capable of linking up the midfield and attack better than Benrahma, and we will need that to stand a chance against Chelsea. Plus he likes scoring in London derbies.

————————Fabianski———————
Coufal—Dawson——Zouma—Cresswell
——————Soucek——Rice——————
Bowen————Lanzini————Fornals
————————Antonio————————

Antonio starts because of lack of available options, despite his poor form. Chelsea would destroy us if we try a false 9 in this one. Fornals also vital in this one to help with his pressing from the front and also help Cresswell with defensive duties.
QLDHammer
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by QLDHammer »

SiamHammer wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:29 am I've seen this mentioned a few times lately but didn't Bowen hit that perfect one to Zouma v Liverpool and another one that escapes me atm?
The Ogbonna header against Everton
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

back 3 with Coufal on the right as wing back and Johnson on the other side to contain Reece which is where most of the danger comes from.

As the left or right CB goes wide Soucek drops into the space to make a 6, Rice sits on the edge with Lanzini to pick up the second balls and we have Antonio and Bowen up field for the break away.

Still think Chelsea will do us by 2 goals
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

James is out as is Chilwell

Antonio can't play another 90 , so will be on the bench