January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1803 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by Ironing Board »

As if Everton will sell their best striker!
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I agree that we wouldn't get Calvert Lewin - he'll be too pricey and a club will spend something like £60m to sign him. I think he'd be hoping for something a lot better than Arsenal though.

Phillips? Not buying that he'd see us as a sideways step or that he wouldn't come. He's 26 and probably needs to move soon if he harbours any ambitions of playing european club football, winning something etc. Leeds would want £35m or so, I guess.

Raphinha would be a good buy for us, but he'd cost more, I imagine.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Ake he seems quite short for a central defender. Five foot eleven, according to the internet.

He is a good player who can also fill in at left back though. He always seemed good at Bournemouth but his appearance record for Man City is concerning.

One odd thing is people seem more enthusiastic about signing him than they were about John Stones, but Stones is a far superior player,.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1035 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:19 pm I agree that we wouldn't get Calvert Lewin - he'll be too pricey and a club will spend something like £60m to sign him. I think he'd be hoping for something a lot better than Arsenal though.
Calvert-Lewin is not good enough for Arsenal. He’d jump at the chance of a move there, or to Spurs or West Ham.

He’ll end up at Newcastle if they stay up.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

LeonRivers wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:50 pm Calvert-Lewin is not good enough for Arsenal. He’d jump at the chance of a move there, or to Spurs or West Ham.

He’ll end up at Newcastle if they stay up.
I don't see how moving from Everton to these other clubs is a step up really. They are a big club. If he is looking to pad his wages then Newcastle would be his best bet.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1035 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Ironing Board wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:55 pm I don't see how moving from Everton to these other clubs is a step up really.
A move from a stagnating club on a downward trajectory to a club at least as big, performing better over the last 2-3 years to be consistently above them in the league and on an upward trajectory (TBC in Spurs case)?

Newcastle having confirmed PL status with billions to spend.

It’s a move up in every case assuming Newcastle don’t mess up their ‘project’.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

£60m on one player for a club of our means and needs is madness.

We are likely to have an annual budget at best around £60m absent any significant sales and even assuming Kral/Areola £30m is in addition and we have paid off the £20m+ we owed on Haller in the last accounts dedicating it to one player is wrong.

Come January/the summer even allowing for Kral and Areola we have several holes in the squad that have to be addressed - LB, LCB, CM, AM and Striker all spring to mind. We might fill a space with a free or get in low fee players in January because they are out of contract in the summer but even then the budget is going to have to be made to stretch to 3/4 players in January/the summer.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

LeonRivers wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:02 pm A move from a stagnating club on a downward trajectory to a club at least as big, performing better over the last 2-3 years to be consistently above them in the league and on an upward trajectory (TBC in Spurs case)?

Newcastle having confirmed PL status with billions to spend.

It’s a move up in every case assuming Newcastle don’t mess up their ‘project’.
True, but we both know things change fast in football. Get the right manager in and Everton could do very well. Newcastle are now the most loathed club in the land!
BigFatSam
Has liked: 209 likes
Total likes: 1096 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

I'd love him, but theres absolutely no chance we'd sign Calvert-Lewin. He probably wouldn't be that bothered about coming and we couldn't afford him.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

DCL would not join West Ham. No chance. Nor would Everton want to sell to us, unless we were offering stupid, stupid money.

Raphinha is one of my favourite players to watch but he’s destined for bigger things and would be a very good signing for many of the best clubs in Europe.
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

Fabio Carvalho still hasn’t signed a contract at Fulham, and apparently a lot of big clubs are circling.

Wouldn’t mind if we made an attempt to make that happen, could be a real gem brought in on the cheap.
Whu stepney
Has liked: 80 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by Whu stepney »

Surprise surprise the small club mentality is alive and kicking on here . A London club with an average gate of 60 000 yet according to the usual suspects on here every club is a step up from us . Absolutely laughable nonsense no doubt the countless closeted spurs fans on here will love it.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

fjthegrey wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:49 am Calvert-Lewin would see Everton to West Ham as a step down, regardless of our current league position.
I dont agree. We've signed a few Everton players over the years. Including Cottee and Unsworth.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

He's more than good enough for us, probably a perfect fit too considering he can do all the things we want in a striker.

Don't see Real Madrid dropping the money required, nor nay elite club, so Arsenal might be his big chance at something "major."

I suspect that it's all noise anyway. They need to sell to buy, cos of FFP, but Richarlison is surely the one they'd move on. He seems to me like a PSG player, one they'd overpay for and then be bored of sooner rather than later.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Whu stepney wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:33 pm Surprise surprise the small club mentality is alive and kicking on here . A London club with an average gate of 60 000 yet according to the usual suspects on here every club is a step up from us . Absolutely laughable nonsense no doubt the countless closeted spurs fans on here will love it.
Just living in the real world pal
Whu stepney
Has liked: 80 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by Whu stepney »

Wilko it's not the real world . Believe it or not some of us are ambitious for the club . It's a cancer that needs cutting out the club Bobby Moore was tearing his hair out over the club's lack of ambition in the 60s and too many fans let the useless c**** like cearns brown and GSB off the hook .
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2657 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

Ironing Board wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:55 pm I don't see how moving from Everton to these other clubs is a step up really. They are a big club. If he is looking to pad his wages then Newcastle would be his best bet.
I do. When was the last time Everton finished above either of them?
BigFatSam
Has liked: 209 likes
Total likes: 1096 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

In the current football climate it would be a step up, but it’s not a big enough step up for it to ever happen. It’s not a small club mentality it just wouldn’t happen. If we have a few more years in top 6 then yeah, that type of signing could happen.

Arsenal is still a big club even though they’re not performing great, players would still choose arsenal over us given the opportunity.

Newcastle now have the money but they’re only going to attract journey men if they’re looking at big name players/High wages
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

EvilC wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:58 pm I do. When was the last time Everton finished above either of them?
Obviously Arsenal are a bigger club (though they have been on the slide) but I wouldn't say Spurs are as big as Everton, and they seem to be in even more of a state behind the scenes. The league has always been the key yardstick and Everton have won it nine times while Spurs have only won it twice.
Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

hammers92 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:58 pm Phillips will end up at Man Utd imo. There’s at least one vacancy there this summer with the number of clowns they’ve got in the middle of the pitch.
Phillips unlikely to join Manchester United, he's already said so recently. I know fellow Leeds lad Alan Smith made the move but he will be more than aware how difficult that move made life for him and his family
Phillips turned down a move to Villa when they had just been promoted and Leeds stayed down..