EA may ditch FIFA relationship

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

EA may ditch FIFA relationship

Post by wolf359 »

Surprised it took this long to be honest, everyone wants a cut. Though they seem to have a deal with UEFA and others so it might not be a drastic change.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/11/ ... over-name/

"For millions of football fans, “FIFA” refers not to the sport’s international governing body, but to their favourite video game.

The connection was formed 30 years ago, when California-based Electronic Arts licensed the name of Zurich-headquartered FIFA. The game is now played by 100 million people worldwide, has become a multibillion-dollar business, and is a cultural phenomenon.

Despite the long and profitable association, the two sides are in a bitter dispute over the value of the FIFA name. “We are not certain that we will move forward with FIFA as a naming rights partner,” David Jackson, a senior executive who runs EA’s football brand, told the Financial Times."
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Re: EA may ditch FIFA relationship

Post by Up the Junction »

I don't think this is a problem for EA. What's in a name?
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I wouldn't underestimate just how superficial the Fifa crowd can be.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

What's a "FIFA crowd"?

I'd wager it has one of the most diverse demographic ranges of any modern games title.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

FIFA obviously think they are being undervalued as do some of the players. I don't think EAs game is in jeopardy (though I've never played it and don't really understand the annual appeal - but different strokes and all that) as they have other agreements with UEFA for example. Though if FIFA were to sell the naming rights to some one else for a hearty sum UEFA and the individual clubs and top players might get their heads turned. In the end EA will cough up something to keep the gravy train rolling.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Go unofficial-players like: Mo Salad,Harry Drain…
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

Ahhh the good old days of unlicensed footy games with Paul Once and Ryan Goggs playing for Man U.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Jonah wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:37 pm Ahhh the good old days of unlicensed footy games with Paul Once and Ryan Goggs playing for Man U.
Take me back!

Football games were actually good then, don't think i have enjoyed a football game since PES on PS2