Emmanuel Longelo

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators :  -DL-, Rio, the pink palermo, bristolhammerfc, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

S-H
GIF Git
Has liked: 1212 likes
Total likes: 1978 likes

Emmanuel Longelo

Post by S-H » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:24 am

This lad really stood out for me, last night.

He's quick, strong, two footed, and gets forward very well.

Based on last night's showing, and without wishing to pile the pressure on, I'd have no problem with him being in and around the first team squad from now on.

I'd like to add that all the the young lads did themselves proud last night, but Longelo was the pick of the bunch.

Here's hoping, that this is the beginning of something.

PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 108 likes

Re: Emmanuel Longelo

Post by PF. » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:42 am

It's a tricky one this left back position isn't it. Manny looked really comfortable and I'd imagine that the LB role is dependent on how many seasons Cresswell has left in him.

Arthur is a liability so no issues in replacing him with Longelo but is the timing right to organically replace Cress? Personally, I'd be all out for Cucurella in the summer (as I think others will too) and moving Cresswell into a squad role, so do you send the young lad out on loan next season to a lower premier league / higher Div 2 team in readiness for Cresswell to retire / move on, or do you keep him in the squad and give him a bit-part role?

The same with Ashby really - Johnson and Coufal probably don't need replacing anytime soon.

Good problems to have I guess.

paulhs1
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 286 likes

Post by paulhs1 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:41 am

I'd start him against Arsenal in mid week against Saka

BromleyHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by BromleyHammer » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:44 am

I also thought he was very good, quick and like to play with ball at his feet. The club needs to ensure Cresswell / Pearce are teaching the kid everything they know!

Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Sloop John B » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:46 am

One of the key things we need from our fullbacks is that ability to drive forward from a wide position - one thing that Johnson lacks over Coufal. Longello really grew into the game last night to a point where it almost felt he was driving the team on, if that's his normal game then fully agree he looks like a player.

norse
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by norse » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:49 am

Seen him play right winger for the U23 a couple of times. Baller

Liam
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Liam » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:00 am

norse wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:49 am
Seen him play right winger for the U23 a couple of times. Baller
I wonder if his first blooding in the PL will be with Cresswell playing as a left CB of a 3 (assuming he is fit) this will give him a lot more cover.

hammerman11
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by hammerman11 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:08 am

Add him to Sundays squad

Turns to Stone
Has liked: 49 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Turns to Stone » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:27 am

If we'd picked up a 20 year-old left-back from the Championship and he had a debut like that last night, I think we'd all be pretty excited to be honest.

What I would say is that with our best team out, Longelo would get a lot more protection from Rice and Fornals than he would have done yesterday. So it would be interesting to see him play with our first team.

Estuary
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by Estuary » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:34 am

The lad looked more like a 1st team player than anyone else in the first half, no wonder we are not rushing out to buy a left back.

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 550 likes

Post by Up the Junction » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:34 am

He did really well last night (as did HA on t'other side), but I think we need to be careful not to go overboard based on just one performance.

I noticed one error of judgement, just after half-an-hour when he lost his man (Ademi, ghosting in at the back post) who was left with a clear header on goal that you'd expect a PL player to bury.

That aside, he wasn't really troubled at all.

Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 468 likes
Total likes: 85 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:36 am

Turns to Stone wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:27 am
If we'd picked up a 20 year-old left-back from the Championship and he had a debut like that last night, I think we'd all be pretty excited to be honest.

What I would say is that with our best team out, Longelo would get a lot more protection from Rice and Fornals than he would have done yesterday. So it would be interesting to see him play with our first team.
Really insightful post. Well done that man. The championship comparison is the perspective.
👍

davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 104 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by davids cross » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:37 am

Of the four defenders, he was the one a knew least about.

Very impressed.

Unlike some, I wouldn't be rushing them/him in. But that's me. Their time will come. The Premier League is very unforgiving and a huge step. Nice and easy as she goes for them. They'll all be in and around the squad at different times I'm sure.

S-H
GIF Git
Has liked: 1212 likes
Total likes: 1978 likes

Post by S-H » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:39 am

Up the Junction wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:34 am
He did really well last night (as did HA on t'other side), but I think we need to be careful not to go overboard based on just one performance.
Indeed.

As TTS says, I'd like to see him given minutes in the first team, with proper protection, and being able to link up with better players, but all in good time.
Last edited by S-H on Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Collison Theory
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by Collison Theory » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:39 am

Up the Junction wrote:

I noticed one error of judgement, just after half-an-hour when he lost his man (Ademi, ghosting in at the back post) who was left with a clear header on goal that you'd expect a PL player to bury.

Agreed, the back four all looked decent, but they really didn't face much pressure from Zagreb. The early jammy goal was a really game spoiler, they were happy to sit on their lead, and we were pretty blunt with Perkins up top (understandably, not slagging him).

They are all decent, promising footballers, but as defenders, I don't think we can say they were given the chance to show they can cope with top attackers.

Bond Holder 59

Post by Bond Holder 59 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:40 am

Up the Junction wrote:

Hi UTJ,

Fair challenge, but in my case it’s about seeing the positive of real potential. He did make one positional error, but I note Cresswell does similar most weeks and he’s heading for 32. To be fair, nearly all the first team make occasional errors, but thankfully they get most right. We are West Ham after all.
👍

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 859 likes
Total likes: 286 likes

Post by EvilC » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:41 am

I'm looking forward to booing him for the slightest error in the future.

davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 104 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by davids cross » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:44 am

Up the Junction wrote:

I noticed that moment as well. It was something that would get punished at PL level.

It's these little lapses that make you just think......"lets be fair to the lad here".

Easy does it. But so impressed nevertheless.

Bond Holder 59

Post by Bond Holder 59 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:44 am

EvilC wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:41 am
I'm looking forward to booing him for the slightest error in the future.
😉

fjthegrey
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 231 likes

Post by fjthegrey » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:49 am

paulhs1 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:41 am
I'd start him against Arsenal in mid week against Saka
Yep, after playing in a half paced, near friendly, at home against a thoroughly below average team, he's definitely ready to be put up against one of the leagues best players.