Coronavirus

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Re: Coronavirus

Post by sendô »

How can anyone be that much of a zealot that they think professional people deserve to be sacked from an understaffed job because they have concerns about getting a vaccine (one jab, two jabs, three jabs, how many is it this week?) that does not stop you getting or transmitting an illness that a year and a half ago those same people were putting their lives on the line to fight.

Honestly, some people have no shame.

Does anyone remember just a few short years ago before social media when nuance existed and people didn't suddenly jump into extremist positions based on some sort moral superiority complex?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

well said Sendo

it is an absolute disgrace how unvaccinated people are being portrayed/ treated

so, you are a hospital porter and your brother had serious implications from the vaccine so you don't want to have it - and you have to lose your job over it

replace hospital porter with any position tbf
Baron Von Marlon
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Baron Von Marlon »

Especially as, having worked in a hospital for the past two years, they're odds on to have had covid anyway.

Why won't the Government let them take antibody test to prove prior infection? (Like they do for Hepatitis B)
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Baron Von Marlon wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:51 am
Interesting stat I read yesterday is that there are more people waiting/taking up hospital beds, waiting to be discharged (10,000), but can't because there isn't the care homes/staff available, than there are people in hospital who have tested positive for Covid (circa 8000)
One of the things that the NHS is really poor at, in my experience is discharging patients. We had an elderly relative cleared for return to her care home recently, cleared on a Friday by the doctor but not actually discharged until the following wednesday - someone was always doing the paperwork "later". We've seen this repeatedly with every person released from hospital in the last five years, doesn't matter if it is just giving them tablets/medication to take with them or the end of life team needing to make sure there is the right info for care home.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

It's winter, and a new highly transmissible virus is sweeping across the country. Where's the Vitamin D push? If only it was patented and expensive.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:52 pm It's winter, and a new highly transmissible virus is sweeping across the country. Where's the Vitamin D push? If only it was patented and expensive.
It has always been about booster uptake. From day one. Since the very beginning.
The world has been conditioned, beaten, prodded and psychologically abused by their govts for this sole purpose. So much so that some people are now cheering on their govt to segregate people from society if they are guilty of not wanting to partake in a medical procedure that they dont want to take.

In Australia the unvaxed are being fined up to $10,000 for having the audacity to cough in public.
In Germany pensioners are being beaten up by the police for not showing their "papers".

It's taken a mere 20 months to achieve what the nazis achieved in a few years
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 942 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Lars Jacobsen wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:02 pm Yes, if you also know how many people have died from not having it.

Of those on ITU with covid, the overwhelming majority are those who haven't had the vaccine.

If you are any kind of a healthcare professional you should be competent in making a straightforward risk-benefit assessment.
Lars, not sure whether you have friends/family who work front line, sounds like you may. However, the statistics are all over the place.

The stupid 28-day rule does my nut in, so I simply cannot accept any figures given by the government in terms of death by covid, as (IMPO) this is a nonsensical rubbish way of defining that particular stat.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Lars Jacobsen wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:02 pm Yes, if you also know how many people have died from not having it.

Of those on ITU with covid, the overwhelming majority are those who haven't had the vaccine.

If you are any kind of a healthcare professional you should be competent in making a straightforward risk-benefit assessment.
Is that true?

This article suggest that is no longer the case and that by mid October only around 35% of people admitted to hospital were unvaccinated.

https://fullfact.org/health/economist-v ... on-status/
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

wolf359 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:25 am Omicron will be so last year by then we'll be on to the Megatron variant.
i'm worried about Omacron - you turn into a French midget with a Napoleon complex.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:37 pm i'm worried about Omacron - you turn into a French midget with a Napoleon complex.
Do we get sent to a nice Italian island?

Omatron variant will be interesting.

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

sussexhammer74 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:43 am So underfunding then.

GP's are seeing patients again but there is not enough GP's/front line care/nurses in the surgeries to see all of the patients requiring treatment.

Are they? Maybe where your wife works is, but nationwide, most places you can't get one for love nor money because of Covid - and Charities and support groups, and hospital are also acknowledging this is a real problem.

But by all means, use the default line of 'underfunding'.
Lars Jacobsen
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by Lars Jacobsen »

stu1 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:25 pm Is that true?

This article suggest that is no longer the case and that by mid October only around 35% of people admitted to hospital were unvaccinated.

https://fullfact.org/health/economist-v ... on-status/
I specified ITU.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

https://www.med.hku.hk/en/news/press/20 ... ss_release

latest data coming out saying that omicron is 70x better at replicating in the bronchus while being 10x less in the lungs. which explains why it's far more infectious while being far less lethal, as it doesn't have the strength of replication in the lungs to cause pneumonia on anything like the level delta did.

it seems that there's no amount of caution that'll keep the wolf from the door, but the wolf is seemingly more of a labrador puppy. the bigger problem will be that our containment policy is based on having people lock themselves away for an extended period to stop the spread of a deadly disease. we won't stop this spreading, but it's (touch wood) not deadly either.

the country may shut down all by itself as a result, though that will depend on testing. it would not surprise me if one quiet objective of the booster campaign is to reduce the mild symptoms to completely asymptomatic, preventing people getting tested and leaving the workforce as a result.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:46 pm https://www.med.hku.hk/en/news/press/20 ... ss_release

latest data coming out saying that omicron is 70x better at replicating in the bronchus while being 10x less in the lungs. which explains why it's far more infectious while being far less lethal, as it doesn't have the strength of replication in the lungs to cause pneumonia.

it seems that there's no amount of caution that'll keep the wolf from the door, but the wolf is seemingly more of a labrador puppy. the bigger problem will be that our containment policy is based on having people lock themselves away for an extended period to stop the spread of a deadly disease. we won't stop this spreading, but it's (touch wood) not deadly either.
That is good news.

And just how Omicron will hospitalise or kill, will be evident in a few weeks time. Come Feb, and the numbers will be pointing a certain way.

Only thing we don't have any data on just yet, is the long-term effect.
Either way, we'll be finding that out as well.
Crouchend_Hammer

szola wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:59 pm

Only thing we don't have any data on just yet, is the long-term effect.
Either way, we'll be finding that out as well.
We don't know the long-term effect of the vaccine either
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Lars Jacobsen wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:19 pm I specified ITU.
Fair enough, nevertheless it's interesting that 2 out of 3 people going in to hospital in the recent period pre Omicron were fully vaxxed.
Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:09 pm We don't know the long-term effect of the vaccine either
Conspiracy theorist :chin:
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

I really don't know what to say about this, so I'll let it pass without comment:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... rt-omicron

On second thoughts, I can't. An absolute f***ing clusterf*ck.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:22 pm I really don't know what to say about this, so I'll let it pass without comment:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... rt-omicron

On second thoughts, I can't. An absolute f***ing clusterf*ck.
Seasonal flu
Crouchend_Hammer

Let's assume the last two years hadn't happened, and Omnicrom was the first variant of Covid that came along

I doubt we would even know it was even present, let alone introduce any restrictions. Lots of people would feel a bit **** for a while, some would go to hospital, a tiny minority would die, but no one would make a fuss over it - life would go on as normal (and that would be without vaccines in place)

So why are we letting whatvhas happened in last two years influence how we deal with this new variant? It should be treated on its merit, not the same as Delta
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:29 pm Let's assume the last two years hadn't happened, and Omnicrom was the first variant of Covid that came along

I doubt we would even know it was even present, let alone introduce any restrictions. Lots of people would feel a bit **** for a while, some would go to hospital, a tiny minority would die, but no one would make a fuss over it - life would go on as normal (and that would be without vaccines in place)

So why are we letting whatvhas happened in last two years influence how we deal with this new variant? It should be treated on its merit, not the same as Delta
Because we've been brainwashed Crouchy. Because huge numbers of people have been prepared to trust these experts regardless of what common sense and their eyes told them. If Ferguson and others of his ilk had told them the only cure was to sacrifice their firstborn countless people would have gone along with it.

I just hope in due course people are held to account. I won't hold my breath though.