Arsenal 2-0 West Ham Utd (15/12/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Re: ⚽ Arsenal vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Ozza »

What a surprise BT saying it was a pen (with their experts)
Last edited by Ozza on Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Irrons wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:10 pm Benrahma deserves the criticism because he came on, shirked on several 50/50s and literally assisted their second goal with pathetic passing and ball retention when there was still something in the match for us despite everything that had come to pass. He almost gave it away just before that as well but Rice managed to keep possession on that occasion.

The fact is as one of our most expensive signings to date he has simply not been good enough for us over the vast majority of the season, he lacks end product and gives the ball away constantly to boot. We look to him as a player that can make something out of nothing and how much has he done that for us this season compared to what he did for Brentford? At least Coufal and Soucek and the rest put in a shift. Benrahma has also been given plenty of time to acclimatise and work on his end product and ball retention but it seems to be going backwards. Like all West Ham players I wanted the best for him but I think we should consider moving him on if we get the chance
Completely agree with this. Rice's frustration with him was obvious.

Lack of quality is depressing but I'm loathe to criticise the likes of Soucek who runs his heart out. Really not impressed with Matsuaku tonight, at least once he was overtaken by Rice racing back to cover an Arsenal attack.
lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

I remember the good old days when we were MASSIVE.

Tonight we have lost a bit of weight. I'd have us as an XL still.
Buxe
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by Buxe »

From an opposition point of view it was the perfect time to play us - no Cresswell, Ogbonna, Zouma, Johnson and a massively out of form Soucek, Benrahma and Antonio.

Masuaku vs Sakha was always going to get messy too!

They’ve had no European football, so 6 games less than us and able to focus everything on the league. It’s a mark of how far we have come that their victory is more down to our squad being stretched than anything else.

Our board need to back the manager with another LB, CB, and a couple of forward players. Do that and we finish well above Arsenal again.
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

Thoughts on the game:

- Do other fans see us as a scalp now? I was surprised by the way the commentators were playing up the big game nature and feel in the ground
- How many blocks did Dawson make? Yes, he's agricultural. Yes, he can get done for pace and caught flat-footed. But who doesn't love a centre half who consistently puts his body on the line
- Fabianski proving - if he really needed to - why he's still our number one
- By the end of the game we were missing 2 x centre backs and 4 x full backs. There's not one team in world football that gets through that unscathed
- Our creative players are not creating but also, their normally strong defensive game was lacking today
- They were very good at pressing us. We simply couldn't handle it
- Saka and Lacazette were their best players. I was surprised how easily Saka went past some of ours
- Arsenal will still get dicked by the top teams. They give the ball away far to much in defence. Salah and co would gobble that up
- Arteta is a ****
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

BT now manufacturing reasons for the penalty and red card to be correct.

Peter Walton changing his mind completely from what he said in the game.

Disgusting.

No sign of Moyes. Hopefully he's off staging a Poyet-style dirty protest somewhere.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

delbert wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:12 pm Glad I'm not the only one who's thinking that, all the blocks and tackles they put in came about through losing the ball further up the pitch and they weren't found wanting. As for Benrahma, why is it the moment things ain't going our way we need a scapegoat?
I don't think he's being made 'the scapegoat' delbs, but it's hard to disagree that he's been not just poor , as have others, but it seems gone with his brief but good form is his simple commitment. Now whether that all part of the confidence aspect or not, or if he has one eye on the upcoming international tournament and fears injury I wouldn't know, but sadly, he's looking 'out of his depth' at the min.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

I just want to take a moment to praise Fabianski. Great save from the penalty.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

Martin Keown is a monkey headed **** .
gothhammer
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by gothhammer »

Three bad VAR decisions , ina couple of weeks, Brighton, Burnley and tonight almost like the decision has been made no more top 4 for lowly West Ham. So angry, forgot how angry until the above neighbours telly got louder and louder. Think I might have got a bit
too sweary
SullySpecial
Has liked: 257 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by SullySpecial »

We need a nice 6-8 week covid lockdown to recharge the batteries.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

Plus points for me

Dawson
Fab

Thought they were both outstanding tonight, some of you lot underestimate both of them hugely.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Oh and Arrrrrrr Teta sounds like a scoucers relation
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Anyone still watching this horseshit on BT....

Walton backtracking. Keown being his usual clueless monkey headed self, and Cole not with his mate on a West Ham night in Europe. Can all go and f*** themselves. At least I ain't paying BT for this.

We didn't deserve a thing but ffs
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:16 pm Tim Howard on NBC coating off Tierney for holding his face after Courfal's "challenge." as is his co-analyst.

coating off VAR for not overruling the ref. also no way a penalty they maintain.

I also thought that Lacazette had a broken leg from Coufal's tackle but there he is taking the pen with the leg that was broken.

shocking that the PL doesn't step into this abysis that it has created.

VAR was doing better early season but now seems to have reverted to type.

haven't been this angry for ages. good job there's no booze in the house.

:crylol:
Good to see some proper punditry from Howard and co. I really like watching NBCSN. Oh and Taylor is a **** and that was one of the most digusting decisions I think I've seen in a football match. Bent bald prick
Last edited by Irrons on Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cabinfever
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Cabinfever »

Team Poor - at the moment the air is going out of the balloon.
Ref/VAR/League - CORRUPT is the word

But for everything wrong with us.........I glad I am a Hammer
Because I would be sooooo embarrassed to be a Gooner tonight
Captain Black getting a injured player back on the pitch is beyond cringe worthy :thdn:
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

Diogenes wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:17 pm Lets try and keep things in perspective. We were denied a 100% penalty on Sunday which would have given us 3 points and tonight the opposition were given a 100% non penalty and reduced us to 10 men for the last 3rd of the match and minus a key player for Saturday. Fine margins.

Our reserve defence played very well, again, but our front players have lost their mojo. I don't think it is fatigue or rubbish players. We have a very small squad and lack numbers and quality in key areas along with injuries to key players. Lets not get all Spursy. We have been punching above our weight for 18 months and are going to have ups and downs. If we can get to January with say 4-6 points (achievable) and get some quality in, there is no reason why we cannot regain our form for the remainder of the season. Arsenal were the better team tonight but greatly helped by the officials.
I agree with most of this. Coufal, Dawson and Diop played very well but I thought Masuaku was awful defensively. After Yarmolenko, he is our most substandard player. We’ve missed Cresswell more than Ogbonba, Zouma or Johnson. Ashby showed enough in his cameo to suggest it’s time to let Fredericks go.

I think there is enough in the squad ( and in the U23s) to suggest that if we sign a top(ish) level striker we will have enough to get back to our peak levels.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Just a reminder that Coufal got his first yellow card for that very soft challenge on Tierney in the first half (where the Arsenal players surrounded the ref asking for a red card). Joke.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Oldun wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:22 pm Martin Keown is a monkey headed **** .
Busy week for him tbf after winning Time Person of the Year:

MK-Hammer
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 133 likes

Post by MK-Hammer »

Never a penalty….or a booking
Ruined any chance of us nicking a result as we have most of this season.
Dawson, Fabianski, Diop & Rice outstanding.
For their 2nd goal Benrahma showed why Moyes doesn’t rate him …gave the ball away & weak in the challenge…..plus poor decision making when he took that quick free kick.

Need to get back to winning ways against Norwich on Saturday