Coronavirus

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Re: Coronavirus

Post by RichieRiv »

sendô wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:49 pm TBH from what I can see it seems to be less that people are "following the rules" and more that they're trying to avoid being in a situation where they'll test positive before Christmas and have to isolate when they should be visiting family.
Well, my Black Eye Friday is well and truly Donald Ducked for the second year on the spin. My mate who I traditionally go out with on this very day is at some +ve, so this will have to wait another year.

What the hell of the Daily Mail going to put in their paper tomorrow? The Saturday after BEF tends to be images of scantily clad young ladies lying in the pool of vomit in the gutter in Cardiff, Manchester, and Newcastle (the latter ideally being in the middle of blizzard).
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 777 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... much-lower
South Africa delivered some positive news on the omicron coronavirus variant on Friday, reporting a much lower rate of hospital admissions and signs that the wave of infections may be peaking.

Only 1.7% of identified Covid-19 cases were admitted to hospital in the second week of infections in the fourth wave, compared with 19% in the same week of the third delta-driven wave, South African Health Minister Joe Phaahla said at a press conference.

Health officials presented evidence that the strain may be milder, and that infections may already be peaking in the country’s most populous province, Gauteng.
meanwhile shagger ferguson is predicting omicron will reap 5,000 deaths a DAY if we don't lockdown.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:39 pm https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... much-lower

meanwhile shagger ferguson is predicting omicron will reap 5,000 deaths a DAY if we don't lockdown.
Don't know if that prediction is true Beavis, but in any case I'd be happy to put Ferguson up against a wall and pull the trigger for all the chaos, fear and damage he's caused this country already.

Absolute c*** who needs to be called to account when this charade is over.

"Oh, but he's an expert - we have to heed him".

Anyone still prepared to defend this piece of sh*t?
Plashet Grove Pete

Hey, just found Ferguson's quote of today:

“If you have enough cases per day, the resulting number of hospitalisations we think could still pose potentially major challenges for any health system,” Ferguson added.

Let's break that gobsh*tes words down.

If you have enough cases per day, the resulting number of hospitalisations we think could still pose potentially major challenges for any health system,” Ferguson added.

Science at it's best. The lump of sh*t makes Derek Acorah look like a sage.

Trust the experts? Just go f*ck yourself you four eyed git.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

He has never got anything right, so that's good news about the 5000 deaths a day.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1785 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:03 pm".

Anyone still prepared to defend this piece of sh*t?
A little. He’s there to advise and offer his opinion. It’s the MPs who have to take the decision based on the evidence they’re given.

He broke the rules in the first lockdown with his mistress and I think he is very doom and gloom but he’s just one opinion amongst many. He’s not the problem. It’s our useless politicians who collectively have been caught short by not understanding the needs of the common person throughout all this.
bigcarpchaser
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by bigcarpchaser »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:15 pm Hey, just found Ferguson's quote of today:

“If you have enough cases per day, the resulting number of hospitalisations we think could still pose potentially major challenges for any health system,” Ferguson added.

If you have enough cases per day, the resulting number of hospitalisations we think could still pose potentially major challenges for any health system,” Ferguson added.

First word…IF
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Ferguson is a government lackie and is wheeled out when the govt need help in locking people down.

He's a con man and a charlatan plain and simple
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:15 pm Hey, just found Ferguson's quote of today:

I honestly can't believe you still let this stuff get you so angry. It's not good for you!

Not sure where you've got that quote from but it's very important that it's seen along with this info (and bad journalism rather than bad science if not)...

https://www.newscientist.com/article/23 ... f-omicron/
In separate research, an international team tested the effectiveness of six vaccines against omicron. It found that all of them – Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Sinopharm, Johnson & Johnson and Sputnik – produced fewer antibodies that neutralise omicron than the original coronavirus, and the latter three produced hardly any. The research has yet to be peer-reviewed.

The team says that UK data so far do not suggest the risk of becoming severely ill is any lower with omicron than with delta. However, this means the risk to people with no immunity, Ferguson made clear. Because most people do now have immunity, the proportion requiring hospitalisation should be lower than in previous waves, but this is factored into the modelling.

“People should not be complacent,” he says. “If you have enough cases per day, the resulting number of hospitalisations, we think, can still pose potentially major challenges for any health system.”
If there was a prominent scientist that wasn't caveating a series of unknowns with "if one set of numbers get out of hand, another might as well" then I'd suggest they're failing to do their job.
Plashet Grove Pete

paulhs1 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:44 pm Ferguson is a government lackie and is wheeled out when the govt need help in locking people down.

He's a con man and a charlatan plain and simple
I agree. Though if he's right, me, you, my family, your family, and everyone on this thread could, given the current spread and projections, based on my scenarios, potentially be dead in a month.

Still, see you all at Glastonbury next year if we survive this tsunami / tidal wave / h**********
DrVenk
Has liked: 362 likes
Total likes: 469 likes

Post by DrVenk »

A good round up as always from JC.

Last one minute on Vit D. Don't watch it Burnley - it'll make your blood boil (did mine)

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Fergyson is a ****. Pure and simple
Staggering he is still allowed a voice let alone influence given how discredited he is

Duncan Ferguson would be more reliable
Plashet Grove Pete

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:46 pm I honestly can't believe you still let this stuff get you so angry. It's not good for you!

Not sure where you've got that quote from but it's very important that it's seen along with this info (and bad journalism rather than bad science if not)...

From the front page of today's Guardian. Read by millions of people, some of whom will be terrified of this. Still f*ck 'em I guess, If they can be hoodwinked by snake oil, it's their own fault.

And I'm not angry at all DDA. I think it's hilarious. A complete, and utter f*cking joke.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:51 pm I agree. Though if he's right, me, you, my family, your family, and everyone on this thread could, given the current spread and projections, based on my scenarios, potentially be dead in a month.

Still, see you all at Glastonbury next year if we survive this tsunami / tidal wave / h**********
Has any of Ferguson's predictions come to fruition?

Once, twice, three hundred times bitten....
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 269 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

:newthumb: Dr Venk for video. I do tend to watch his daily vids now and avoid the media.#

If you catch this new variant and survive, will you need to have the booster jab given that the next variant will probably arrive on these shores just before Easter?

And what is the correct pronunciation of covid.

JC pronounces it COV - ID

and others pronounce it CO - VID
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1856 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Oh well, Eton called it all last Xmas when everyone else thought the vaccine was the route to freedom

Same again next year lads and laddeses
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1856 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

99 Tories voted against covid passports, what chance does another lockdown stand?
DrVenk
Has liked: 362 likes
Total likes: 469 likes

Post by DrVenk »

sussexhammer74 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:34 pm I do tend to watch his daily vids now and avoid the media.#
:clap: It's better for the mind
sussexhammer74 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:34 pm If you catch this new variant and survive, will you need to have the booster jab given that the next variant will probably arrive on these shores just before Easter?
Remember current vaccines are effective to some degree against new variants, they are just less effective relative to the older ones.

If infected, wait just over a month from recovery, and get a booster as that will give a top up to your immune response.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:39 pmmeanwhile shagger ferguson is predicting omicron will reap 5,000 deaths a DAY if we don't lockdown.
If he really said that, he's got to be off of his f*cking head.
Unless I've missed some major breaking news today, all stats so far suggest that although this variant is extremely contagious, it seems to be the least virulent, major variant yet.