Crystal Palace 2-3 West Ham Utd (1/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Re: ⚽ Crystal Palace vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

Looking at Palace 1st Goal looked like diop got a call to leave as he ducked out of a header was that fab just looked strange. 3 points wouid have snatched your hands off for that, we look tired with 20mins to go so we need to strengthen 7 points from safety weeeeeeeyyyyy :crylol:
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Done well to get 6 points in the last 2 games given the state of our defence.

Slightly surprised to see the Diop bashing, given Dawson looks like a pub player 90% of the time :grin:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

It's not so many years ago, we didn't get to 34 points until about late April
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

S-H wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:53 pm Yep, name me a side that wouldn't miss one key defender?

We are missing THREE!!

we've played much, much better than today, and lost.

Give me playing poorly and winning every single time.

And away from home too, that shouldn't be sniffed at.
Good points.

I should always leave typing my feelings straight after a game. I usually calm down a bit ten minutes later.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

We are not a team known for clean sheets even when we have a full strength defence out
The best we have defended all season was the 2nd half at home to Chelsea IMHO, which was with the 2nd half defence today

It really is disappointing that the usual suspects get so much grief on here week in week out

Their first goal was similar to ours, a superb delivery that sometimes you have to hold you hands up and accept as a great ball.
Yes, Diop gave a stupid foul away but we should have dealt with the free kick better and it was no worse than the one Soucek gave away vs Southampton and no one said a dickie bird!
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Switched over to the darts straight away, any word on the injury to Johnson?
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:57 pm It's not so many years ago, we didn't get to 34 points until about late April
:newthumb:
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

MD_HM wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:56 pm Dawson looks like a pub player 90% of the time :grin:
I can't even conceive how someone can think this. Bloke's been quality since Ogbonna and Zouma went out.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Was thinking just before the end that it was the shittest 0-3 win ever, so the final scoreline was certainly more reflective of the game.

We probably caught them at a good time. Eze, Gallagher and Zaha would have made them a different proposition.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

MD_HM wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:56 pm Done well to get 6 points in the last 2 games given the state of our defence.

Slightly surprised to see the Diop bashing, given Dawson looks like a pub player 90% of the time :grin:
Someone said after the Watford game that they bring out the worst in each other and it is true. Neither really up to it, but I think Dawson gets some slack as he at least looked decent next to Oggy. I don’t think Diop would look good if he had prime Maldini alongside him!
bigcarpchaser
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by bigcarpchaser »

I was going to post at half time but thought I’d sound like a broken record so held off but I’ll say it again, our rearguard needs a bit more composure. Our “out” ball is invariable a Fab hoof upfield to nobody. I counted at least 6 times where the ball ended back in the Palace midfield and they ran back with pace at our defenders and they just can’t cope with it (not many teams can to be fair).
The hoof nearly came off the once when Bowen nearly made it in during the first half but it’s a gamble which hardly ever pays off.
Keep the sodding ball!!!!!!
Lucky, very lucky today.
Lanzin’s goal however was outstanding and the game was pretty entertaining if a bit of a nervy affair.
lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

If only we'd beat Southampton we'd be flying again
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

ironilunga wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:49 pm I think the point has been made previously how Liverpool struggled last year when Dick Van Dyke was out injured.

We just beat a decent Palace side away from home with a second string defence 👍
Only their second defeat at home this season, Villa being the other.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:57 pm We are not a team known for clean sheets even when we have a full strength defence out
The best we have defended all season was the 2nd half at home to Chelsea IMHO, which was with the 2nd half defence today

It really is disappointing that the usual suspects get so much grief on here week in week out

Their first goal was similar to ours, a superb delivery that sometimes you have to hold you hands up and accept as a great ball.
Yes, Diop gave a stupid foul away but we should have dealt with the free kick better and it was no worse than the one Soucek gave away vs Southampton and no one said a dickie bird!
The best we defend is when we come out and blow teams away in the second half, after a relatively tight first half.

0-3 up at halftime, away from home, playing poorly, was almost like job done in the minds of some of players.

Alternatively Palace had nothing to lose by giving it a go whilst 3 down at home, which is what the second half reflected to be fair.

Attack against defence.
Last edited by S-H on Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Wer'e 19 points off top place but only 14 of the bottom...

[/misery mode]
waynepin
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by waynepin »

having seeing their first goal a few times I still don't get why Diop ducked when the ball went over him Fabs could not have shouted leave it or keepers , he then gave away the free kick for them to get the second with a stupid foul, we then went into full panic mode, poor clearances and passing, we pinched it at the end but for 80 mins we looked comfortable managing the game against a decent side, I did think with his height Kral would have been a better sub to see the game out,
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Ironman83 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:35 pm Diop is really poor, and it doesn't help that Dawson is his partner, a defender himself who is prone to moments of absolute brain melts. But at least Dawson will throw himself in the way of stuff if he can. Together though it is a disasterous partnership to have in the middle of defence.
It is indeed, a man who even Razor Ruddock would be confident about beating comfortably for pace and someone along side (figuratively) who is slower in a turn than a 1979s Buick while it seems like he leaves the space to actually park one in between him and whoever it is he thinks he’s marking too. Only good thing is that while we will continue to lose a lot of games with them in the team at least somehow this team can wrangle wins too which is a relief. But there really is a true disaster waiting to happen against decent sides here if something isn’t done in Jan.
Last edited by e-20 on Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MorthwylMawr
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by MorthwylMawr »

Phew! Rode our luck and took our chances well. I have no idea what happened on their goal with Diop ducking (or seemed to) out the way. Their second was a great delivery that needed attacking, I think the first choice back four would have dealt with it.

Now Manu's goal.... :starst: bloody love the guy
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

6 points and 7 goals in two away games in 4 days. With our three key defenders out.

I’ll take that.

Yes, it was nervy. Yes, we rode our luck today, but let’s please not forget who we are.
MrHammer73
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 85 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

Palace have a decent home record and we have done very well to win there without 3 of our first choice back 4.

So let's moan a bit less now. Arsenal lost today and we took advantage at an away London derby.