Crystal Palace 2-3 West Ham Utd (1/1/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Diogenes
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Re: ⚽ Crystal Palace vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Diogenes »

Aceface wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:59 pm Was thinking just before the end that it was the shittest 0-3 win ever, so the final scoreline was certainly more reflective of the game.

We probably caught them at a good time. Eze, Gallagher and Zaha would have made them a different proposition.
And Zouma Ogbonna and Creswell would have made us a different proposition as well (and Eze was on their bench).
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Thank f*ck we didn’t have to play another 5 minutes! :D We definitely would’ve thrown that away!

In all seriousness, our defending was an utter disgrace all game. From the 1st minute when they hit the post all the way to the dying minutes. Simply not good enough. I dread to think what would’ve happened if Gallagher and Zaha were playing! We did well to keep a clean sheet for as long in the game as we did. Thankfully we were simply at our ruthless best with our chances. And boy did we take our first 2 goals well! Great goal poacher goal from Antonio and wonderful goal from Lanzini. The turning point was the soft penalty they gave away before half time. I really do believe it would’ve been a different game if we didn’t start the 2nd half with a 3 goal cushion.

As much as I was cr*pping myself when Masuaku came on he actually didn’t do too badly. Certainly not his worst performance! The less said about Diop the better! :thdn:

All in all a huge win and still an impressive one at that! That’s only the 2nd time Palace have lost at home this season. And have already beaten the Spuds and Man City.

2 wins from 2. Lovely jubbly! :scarfer:
Last edited by funky chicken on Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Diogenes wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:48 pm apart from two brain farts from Diop we see that one out easily (he actually f**king ducked for thier first).
I vividly recall Declan doing that at Arsenal a few years ago., so it can happen.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:04 pm I vividly recall Declan doing that [duck under the ball] at Arsenal a few years ago., so it can happen.
Declan has improved though...
61dicksey
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 435 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Looking at Man City and their style , i would rather watch us play any day .That pass a team to death is as boring as watching repeats of Eastenders. 4-1 , 3-2 a bit roller coaster today but very entertaining.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Fair play to Viera, he has this Palace side set up well, and they play some decent stuff too.

Probably get slaughtered for this but I've often thought that Jordan Ayew would be a decent addition to our squad, he works hard, and puts himself about a bit, a good sub to bring on for Bowen, he's somewhat underrated if you ask me.
Believer
Has liked: 1432 likes
Total likes: 766 likes

Post by Believer »

61dicksey wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:54 pm At least Viera is honest and summed up the game well.
Very good point. Can anyone imagine Klopp, Conte or Arteta being as gracious in defeat ?

Seems a genuinely decent bloke and he has transformed Palace’s play into an exciting brand of football.

It could be said that they win that game with Zaha and Gallagher however, we don’t concede those 2 goals with Zouma and Ogbonna..
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

At three-nil with 45 to go, did anyone seriously believe we wouldn't let one in?

And when one went in with eight to go, did anyone seriously believe we wouldn't let another in?

We're West Ham. it's the way we roll.

Antonio
https://mixture.gg/v/61d090316132a

Lanzini
https://mixture.gg/v/61d095d36e83f

Happy massive New Year :scarfer:
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

I hope to goodness that Kurt is able to return at the end of the month. We need him badly.
Diogenes
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Also, that goal by Manu deserved the 3 points. Goal of the season contender?
'stone hammer
Has liked: 785 likes
Total likes: 545 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:04 pm I vividly recall Declan doing that at Arsenal a few years ago., so it can happen.
That was one of my first thoughts too, but I bet when that happened, Declan thought 'I'm never leaving that to chance again.'

Given where the ball is going, Diop has to intercept Shirley? Even if someone does give him the call.
OFT
Has liked: 3242 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:08 pm At three-nil with 45 to go, did anyone seriously believe we wouldn't let one in?

And when one went in with eight to go, did anyone seriously believe we wouldn't let another in?

We're West Ham. it's the way we roll.

Antonio
https://mixture.gg/v/61d090316132a

Lanzini
https://mixture.gg/v/61d095d36e83f

Happy massive New Year :scarfer:
No and No Bubbs.
and
Yes we are and yes we do

Happy massive New Year indeed :newthumb:
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by Jon »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:57 pm It's not so many years ago, we didn't get to 34 points until about late April
Ain’t that the truth!
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Diogenes wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:10 pm Also, that goal by Manu deserved the 3 points. Goal of the season contender?
An absolute beauty.

Best goal we've scored this year...
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 243 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

In my mind we won that 4-2. Manu’s was worth 2 on it’s own.
OFT
Has liked: 3242 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

Manus goal looks better every time I see it. Decs run superb too.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

I'm convinced that supporting West Ham is gonna kill me - when they play like they did for the last fifteen minutes they do my heart no good at all.

Even before that, Christ alone knows how we were 3-0 up: we really did f*** all for the entire game apart from score three times and Lanzini will probably win 'goal of the season' again this year for his first.

Up front, I thought Bowen's heroics against Watford kind of caught up with him and he was quite flat. Antonio was Antonio: brilliant one minute, unable to control a ball in acres of space the next. Benrahma was a bit similar; an outstanding cross for Antonio's goal but, a fair amount of losing possession too easily. Lanzini was quite simply the difference between the two teams. It was probably his best performance for a couple of seasons.

Neither Rice or Soucek were awful, however, nor were they anywhere close to their best.

At the back, Fabianski won the game for us. Johnson was Ok-ish and, I was quite impressed by the demon that took over Arthur's body for the first half hour of the second half and who seemed to be an unusually competent left back. It's a pity the voodoo magic wore off.

I don't really know what to say about Diop's performance. **** would be the executive summary version and I think that Moyes would be well within his rights to smash him in the face with a cricket bat the next time he ducks under a ball. Dawson and Coufal were, again, OK-ish but, did do anything to write home about.

I thought Palace were pretty good and if Edouard and Schlupp in particular hadn't missed a hatful of chances, we could have been four down at half time. In short, I think the football gods smiled on us and we most definitely got away with one today.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3025 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:04 pm I vividly recall Declan doing that at Arsenal a few years ago., so it can happen.
OK what's that once 2 years ago.
Diop does it a few times a game.

Every time I see us line up I think Jesus Diop is huge.
But genuinely shrinks when he jumps.

He also looks dangerous when attacking corners.
It's some sort of mental flat foot thing that he can't time a jump when back tracking.
And when I say can't time it he just doesn't do it

Thought Coufal was poor too. Soucek coming over to cover all game.
Rice covering left back. Its no wonder they were all over us in midfield
DM
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by DM »

Diogenes wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:10 pm Also, that goal by Manu deserved the 3 points. Goal of the season contender?
Wonderful goal. I thought he'd ****ed it when he took the extra touch but then BAM!
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2411 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Vic_Watson wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:54 pm Class interview by Vieira after. Surprised. I thought he was a bit of a knob.
Came across well didn’t he?