Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators :  -DL-, Rio, the pink palermo, bristolhammerfc, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Pete647580
Has liked: 271 likes
Total likes: 108 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by Pete647580 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:00 pm

Guardiola is probably the best coach for him

Massively experienced at all levels, has worked with and for some of the greatest players of all time (Cruyff), himself an ex-defensive midfielder.

He's an obvious next step for Rice. Whether the fit with the Man C team would work is a different question though.

jastons
Has liked: 209 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by jastons » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:12 pm

He was everywhere today. Deserves plenty of credit for his assist for Lanzini.

WCpete
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by WCpete » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:18 pm

Damn him for making another of those marauding, beat 3 man, break neck speed, rips open the gut of the opposition's midfield, sets up a teammate to score, runs. he's got to stop doing that.

S-H
GIF Git
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 2000 likes

Post by S-H » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:19 pm

WCpete wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:18 pm
Damn him for making another of those marauding, beat 3 man, break neck speed, rips open the gut of the opposition's midfield, sets up a teammate to score, runs. he's got to stop doing that.
:D

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 441 likes
Total likes: 1303 likes

Post by -DL- » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:29 pm

WCpete wrote:
Damn him for making another of those marauding, beat 3 man, break neck speed, rips open the gut of the opposition's midfield, sets up a teammate to score, runs.
I'm not getting the bunting out just yet - first assist he has in quite a few games. Good run and assist, but then I'm not a fickle **** that changes my opinion on one assist in one game.

It's ok though, you got smilie reply from your fan club after your sarky little remark, so well done you. Be constructive by all means, but you don't have to be a bell-end to go with it. :newthumb:
WCpete wrote:
He's got to stop doing that
Au contraire, he's got to be doing it far more often and score a bit more so he can be a genuine B2B midfielder that can be mentioned in the same breath as Gerrard and Viera :coolas:

IronRhino
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by IronRhino » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:32 pm

Pete647580 wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:00 pm

Massively experienced at all levels, has worked with and for some of the greatest players of all time (Cruyff), himself an ex-defensive midfielder.

He's an obvious next step for Rice. Whether the fit with the Man C team would work is a different question though.
Let's not worry about next steps for him, that will take care of itself, let's enjoy him while we can

S-H
GIF Git
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 2000 likes

Post by S-H » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:32 pm

-DL- wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:29 pm

It's ok though, you got smilie reply from your fan club after your sarky little remark, so well done you.
:chin:

Happy new year to you too..

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 884 likes
Total likes: 292 likes

Post by EvilC » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:53 pm

el pato wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:26 pm
I see where you are coming from, but I what I meant was, thinking back to some players who , perhaps been held back and had their potential stifled at their club, something that could have happened to Rice at a larger club, were he at a younger age.West Ham have allowed him, encouraged him to be the player that he as become. Your point about being coached by the best,I would question if there was anyone out there at the moment who could do a better job of it than what West Ham are doing now, he is evolving, as are we as a team.
But he isn’t at a younger age, he is whatever age he is now. He has 27 England caps and 150 top flight appearances behind him. Whatever club he goes to will need to pay up for him. Should they do so, he probably won’t be signed to warm the bench. Wherever he goes, there is likely to be competition for places, but he is an experienced player now, if it doesn’t work out then he can find himself another transfer. If I were him I’d be wanting to compete for titles and be playing in the Champions League every year.

Aztec Hammer
Total likes: 372 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:56 pm

Thank god our manager isn’t limiting this kid to sitting in front of the defence.

Special player. Not many in world football that can both intercept the ball as regularly as him and drive forward with such power and purpose.

He’s certainly the only midfield player we have who can carry the ball from deep like that and then pick out the perfect pass to top it off.

Need to keep winning, growing and adding talent to keep Dec around. He’s the most important player we’ve had in decades.

blahblahblah
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by blahblahblah » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:13 am

I thought we had moved on from discussing whether he is just supposed to sit in front of the defense. The question now should be when should he make forward runs. It looks like his runs are most productive and the team most benefits when he makes runs during transitions and the other team's defense is not set up. Today he got released and made the run and assist. At Zagreb (? European League) he stole the ball and bombed forward.

His runs are much less effective when the other team's defense is set. There's less space to run into, and he is not yet good enough at picking out a pass in a crowded box yet. And, hat tip to DL, when he makes those runs against a settled defense then Soucek cannot, but Soucek is better at finding space.

IronZ-79
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 29 likes

Post by IronZ-79 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:36 am

I was a little bit disappointed with some of his decision making defensively against Palace. There was quite a few times he backed off the player on the ball when I felt he should have been putting them under more pressure. On quite a few occasions the Palace forwards were dropping between the lines and getting on the half turn or ****ing balls around the corner for runners.

WCpete
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by WCpete » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:51 am

-DL- wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:29 pm
I'm not getting the bunting out just yet - first assist he has in quite a few games. Good run and assist, but then I'm not a fickle **** that changes my opinion on one assist in one game.

It's ok though, you got smilie reply from your fan club after your sarky little remark, so well done you. Be constructive by all means, but you don't have to be a bell-end to go with it. :newthumb:

Au contraire, he's got to be doing it far more often and score a bit more so he can be a genuine B2B midfielder that can be mentioned in the same breath as Gerrard and Viera :coolas:
Feeling ok there DL? I haven't posted any previous comment about how to play Rice that I can recall, though I have an opinion on the matter. This was the first and I was trying to be witty. Clearly I failed. And apparently I've been annoying you for a bit, though I'm not sure how or why. Feel free to call me a bell-end, but don't call me fickle. That I am not.

I don't know who is trying to stick Dec in Gerrard's or Viera's mold. Certainly not me. I'm not sure that's even a valid comparison anymore. Regarding his previous forays with the ball, maybe it hasn't always been his fault that they end with no result. Maybe the front four have had a lot to do with that. Our forwards have been out of sorts for weeks and weeks and I don't think they have offered much in the way of outlets. Not like Manu did today, at any rate.

BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:11 am

I hope Lanzinis opener yesterday put to bed the ridiculous argument that Declan should ‘just sit’ and allow Soucek forward.

He’s our best player and driving forward and gliding past players.

Fwiw I see a lot of similarities between Declan’s game and that of Vieras.

Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 75 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:16 pm

I see Souness try to tout him to Man City again in today’s Sunday Times.

It’s looking like a question of how much we’ll get and, more importantly, what we’ll do with it.

Hopefully the succession planning is well underway.

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 351 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:32 pm

Why do people get so annoyed when pundits and journalists talk about Rice and link him to other clubs?
It is literally their job to talk about football. We have one of the best players in the world so of course people are going to suggest he can play for the clubs higher up the food chain, or would be a good signing for them.
People used to moan that pundits said Rice was average and wasn't get the credit he deserved!

It is no different to pundits linking Championship players like Brereton and Bowen to us and saying they can play for a 'bigger club

wolf359
Has liked: 423 likes
Total likes: 516 likes

Post by wolf359 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:58 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:32 pm
Why do people get so annoyed when pundits and journalists talk about Rice and link him to other clubs?
For me it is the way it is done, the articles often read to me as being disrespectful and demeaning towards us and frequently imply that he is playing with really poor players right now.

We are sitting 5th, yes the there is a step up to Man City but it isn't the massive chasm these articles often make out. They also give Declan no credit either, he'll have a plan, know what and where he'd like to be in 2, 3,5 years.

They also continue the false notion that you cannot be a great footballer without playing for the Sky6. Tell Alan Shearer that.
Last edited by wolf359 on Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 75 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:00 pm

It’s not the comment that Man City should sign him that annoys me per say. We all know he’s off and that Man City is as likely a destination as any.

It’s the lazy repetition that’s a pain in the hole. You or I could write that. We needn’t have played for Liverpool a couple of generations ago (and still go on about it every ****ing week!).

A more interesting article would be how the smaller club replaces their prime asset or how the player’s career trajectory might pan out by a move, rather than ‘wealthy club should buy smaller club’s best player, I know because I played with Kenny Dalgleish a hundred years ago’.

hammer1975
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hammer1975 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:01 pm

jastons wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:12 pm
He was everywhere today. Deserves plenty of credit for his assist for Lanzini.
Nah, not worth any praise for more of his sideways passing
:winker:

il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 306 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:04 pm

As said above, it's the way it's done. A constructive article about how Declan Rice would improve a team is fine. Rio Ferdinand saying that Newcastle should ask Declan Rice 'what's going on' is not.

Rice is performing at the top level and he's doing it for a team who have just finished 6th and are sitting 5th at the moment. Respect for us and Rice should be considered.

Reg Stretch
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Reg Stretch » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:22 pm

Pete647580 wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:00 pm

David moyes is the best coach for him