TV, Black Screen with sound

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators :  -DL-, Rio, the pink palermo, bristolhammerfc, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

brothernero
Has liked: 181 likes
Total likes: 181 likes

TV, Black Screen with sound

Post by brothernero » Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:51 pm

Ok my JVC Smart Tv earlier went full on black screen but the sound is still working perfectly fine. Tried all the usual, unplugging it for several minutes at a time. Holding down certain buttons. But nothing.

Says to do a factory reset but can't as I have no picture.

Any ideas or is it simply a case of going out and getting a new one.

Money is tight so don't really want to unless necessary.

alf git
Total likes: 138 likes

Re: TV, Black Screen with sound

Post by alf git » Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:17 pm

You've gone blind.
Self abuse will do that to you.

southbrishammer
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by southbrishammer » Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:21 pm

This is the Snug, you know the answer.

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 430 likes
Total likes: 1254 likes

Post by -DL- » Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:31 pm

Get a torch and shine it directly on the screen. If you can see images, then your backlight has gone. If you can't see images or the backlight is already on, the panel has gone. Either way, it's most likely going to work out to be uneconomical to repair.

Might not be a bad time of year for it to pack in, what with all the sales currently. Our tumble dryer packed up a couple of days ago, and thankfully, it wasn't as painful to replace as it could have been.

brothernero

Post by brothernero » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:03 pm

Cheers DL. Tried your suggestion. Nothing, just a pure black screen

Oh well, these things happen. New TV it is then. 👍

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 628 likes
Total likes: 313 likes

Post by MB » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:52 pm

Happens occasionally with my Sony TV if the sky box isn't quite talking to it right. A hard reset of both usually fixes it.

If you don't have another device then sadly I'm with DL's assessment.

brothernero

Post by brothernero » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:57 pm

I plugged the TV back in today, just the TV on it's own with no other device connected to it.

Still sound with no picture. So I guess that confirms it is in technical terms "buggered"

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 116 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:14 pm

brothernero wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:57 pm
I plugged the TV back in today, just the TV on it's own with no other device connected to it.

Still sound with no picture. So I guess that confirms it is in technical terms "buggered"
How old is it? Might be worth seeing if it's still in warranty or the manufacturer will replace it

brothernero

Post by brothernero » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:19 am

About 4 or 5 years believe.

RichieRiv
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by RichieRiv » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:23 am

brothernero wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:19 am
About 4 or 5 years believe.
The Consumer Act 2015 may be able to help you here, but you will need proof of purchase as your argument will be with who you purchased it from.

At 4-5 year you are pushing the boundaries of the act as the retailer could say - well how do we know you haven't been running it 24/7/365, but I would argue that a TV should last longer and therefore you want a repair or a proportion of your money back. You won't get a replacement or full refund as you have had use out of it.

More info here -> https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights ... JYx8n5KiSl

Failing that you could also contact JVC and appeal to their better nature. Lay it on thick how you have always brought JVC and trusted the brand, but a TV only last x years is really disappointing. You never know they may repair it for you as a good will gesture.

Phil S
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by Phil S » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:22 pm

RichieRiv wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:23 am
The Consumer Act 2015 may be able to help you here, but you will need proof of purchase as your argument will be with who you purchased it from.

At 4-5 year you are pushing the boundaries of the act as the retailer could say - well how do we know you haven't been running it 24/7/365, but I would argue that a TV should last longer and therefore you want a repair or a proportion of your money back. You won't get a replacement or full refund as you have had use out of it.

More info here -> https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights ... JYx8n5KiSl

Failing that you could also contact JVC and appeal to their better nature. Lay it on thick how you have always brought JVC and trusted the brand, but a TV only last x years is really disappointing. You never know they may repair it for you as a good will gesture.
I called Currys after my LG TV packed up just short of 3 years old
They asked if warranty had run out or if I had extended warranty, I didn't have either - I quoted The Consumer Act 2015 - No arguments, they had it collected, repaired and delivered back within a week.

I'll never buy an extended warranty on an expensive item, you have rights and an item you pay good money for should last longer than a year that they give you.

Leaving the EU may not have helped though...

RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:20 pm

Believe it or not the Consumer Act 2015 was proposed by the Lib Dems when they were in coalition with the Torys - it replaced the Sales of Goods Act and brought it up date to include digital content and Internet sales.

And in fairness consumer rights in England and Wales are well advanced of the EU and of course the US. Obviously if you are buying goods from European retailers then the ground is slightly dodgy but I cannot see the aforementioned being repealed.

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 251 likes
Total likes: 370 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:44 pm

Going off topic, I'm not sure consumer rights here are better than in the USA. I'm on a car forum where recalls for faults are common in the USA, but complain about the exact same fault over here and they basically tell you to do one, That's if they reply at all.

RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:23 pm

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:44 pm
Going off topic, I'm not sure consumer rights here are better than in the USA.
Its very complex and operates at both a Federal and State level. Most laws even at state level centre around ensuring consumers know what they are buying (hence why commercials have long disclaimers on them).

California has some of the toughest consumer laws in the US including a cooling off period (it's 14 days in England and Wales on everything from home insurance to a mobile phone contracts) albeit the types of contracts are limited. I know from personal experience in CA and a pair of jeans from Nordstrum, when things go wrong there is no "statutory rights" equivalence.

I've not been to all states but I know from time spent in CA, MN, CT, NY, NV and WI that they are amazed at our levels of consumer protection